Jump to content

The grumpy thread


Recommended Posts

Posted
1 hour ago, EyesWeldedShut said:

That moment when you know you should have bought that heating oil last month:

So that's roughly 10p per kWh of heat at the radiator. Still cheaper than 'lecky I guess :-( but buying in 1,000 litres is daunting.....

image.png.ef5d41785e920df61160456d2c4414aa.png

i have been lucky so far with the 2 fill ups of oil since we moved in march 2025 (51p & 58p) a local friend less so as he has his old dad living with him and had to shell over about £1.10 in feb i think.

i was waiting to see if all the megolmanic's a would stop fucking bombing each other for a brief period so the price would come down, but alas, no chance. I have been putting cash away for the last 10 months so i think i will have to bite the bullet in the next month or so 

Posted
Just now, Purfleet said:

i have been lucky so far with the 2 fill ups of oil since we moved in march 2025 (51p & 58p) a local friend less so as he has his old dad living with him and had to shell over about £1.10 in feb i think.

i was waiting to see if all the megolmanic's a would stop fucking bombing each other for a brief period so the price would come down, but alas, no chance. I have been putting cash away for the last 10 months so i think i will have to bite the bullet in the next month or so 

We have enough in the tank to do a few months still. Sprog down the road needs to fill up now (1450 litre tank) and BoilerJuice just emailed her a £20 coupon

She's not sure whether to laugh or cry.

 

Posted
2 minutes ago, EyesWeldedShut said:

We have enough in the tank to do a few months still. Sprog down the road needs to fill up now (1450 litre tank) and BoilerJuice just emailed her a £20 coupon

She's not sure whether to laugh or cry.

 

oh dear, that is going to hurt. My tank is about a million years old so i dont like filling it right up

 

Posted
2 minutes ago, Purfleet said:

oh dear, that is going to hurt. My tank is about a million years old so i dont like filling it right up

 

my local quote in norfolk

image.png.ec02790f220036793448aad19dffa2ad.png

Posted

With the way the oil prices are, im glad I decided to fit AC this year with the plan to see how that and the wood burner work out over winter instead of oil! Not aure Id trust the tank to hold more than 100L anyway 😬

Posted

90.50pp here in Somerset - I've got a 2500 tank which thankfully is just over a 3rd full, so might be able to get through the winter  - also bought 4 bags of coal for the multi fuel log burner 

remember covid when the price went down to 13p ?    looking forward to celebrating when the Mango Mussolini dies.... and Putin 

Posted

I'm trying not to think about how much it will cost to get my oil for the winter.

 

Anyway, I'm having a very healthy breakfast this morning:

20260902_100146.jpg.f5f9aea1b1ae0a1702ece34a804431e3.jpg

The coffee and eggs cost more than coffee, a pie, and a cookie would cost from the other chain bakery in town. But I didn't want to go there this morning because getting there on the way to work doubles the distance to walk to the office even though it's just across the road from the bus stop, because the location of the crossings is fucking stupid. Fine first thing in the morning because there's no traffic, but at nearly 10am the road is hideously busy.

Posted

I d

4 hours ago, Purfleet said:

my local quote in norfolk

image.png.ec02790f220036793448aad19dffa2ad.png

I can beat that
image.png.141ea6bcc93f0fb5564787addf48ac3f.png

Posted
10 minutes ago, EyesWeldedShut said:

I d

I can beat that
image.png.141ea6bcc93f0fb5564787addf48ac3f.png

Not one you really want to win is it - what location is that?

 

Posted

Currently 108.96ppl around here (West Lothian).

Filled up back in July at 82ppl and only used about 40litres since.

If you can, buy in July, as it is the month of least demand so lowest price.

With our 1220 litre tank we'll need a top up about March (which I suspect will hurt!)

Plenty of firewood cut and a tonne of coal/ovals in the store.

Posted
20 hours ago, angle said:

At some point my house had a name, it's carved into what would have been the gate pillar but it's pretty weathered. It annoys me I can't work out what it was, but I decided it's the sort of 'work out patterns, fill in the gaps' thing that AI ought to be good at. 

So, asked it what this said. 

Screenshot_20260901-204607.png.1c25cf621708212e27a6450eec52c8eb.png

It came back and confidently told me it said 'Somerset House'.

I told it I thought the first letter looks like a P or an R, and gave it a photo from a different angle: 

PXL_20260831_162220468.jpg.19bf7d516994cd92b68a269ef62b6a09.jpg

I'm going to copy and paste the response because I enjoyed it: 

That's a very helpful observation. The letters on this stone are definitely a puzzle. Let's break down what we can see, starting with your thoughts.

I completely understand why you see a 'P' or an 'R'. Let's look closely at that first letter:

P or R: If you look at the lower part of the letter, you can see a vertical stroke and a curve that doesn't seem to complete a circle at the bottom. This is why a 'P' seems like a very strong possibility, suggesting a word starting with 'P...OMESER...' or 'P...OMERSET...'

R: For an 'R', you would expect a clearer diagonal leg coming off that curve, which is hard to spot with certainty due to the weathering. However, it's possible the leg was shallow and has worn away completely.

Now, let's connect this to the rest of the inscription and a common English house name.

The middle section, 'OMESER...', is almost certainly 'OMERSET'. When you combine this with a strong contender for that first letter, you get:

POMERSET'

Pomerset House FFS.

 

18 hours ago, High Jetter said:

Local library might have street directories that would reveal the missing letters. Old skool. First letter is not a 'S'. Pomster?

Look it up on an old OS map.

https://maps.nls.uk/os/6inch-england-and-wales/

Let us know if you find what the name was.

  • Like 3
Posted
27 minutes ago, Remspoor said:

Look it up on an old OS map.

Thank you for opening that rabbit hole! 

  • Like 2
Posted
5 hours ago, Purfleet said:

Not one you really want to win is it - what location is that?

 

West Wales quote is through BoilerJuice website  

Posted

After 23 years on e-bay I have finally had enough.

<Long list of things getting crapper and worse I will spare you from.>

But that's it, told them where to shove the account.

I doubt they will care but e-bay is dead to me.

Posted

The Mrs's guaranteed* to break 3 week long mind melt migraine pills did, er nothing. Neurologist we saw in A&E said contact us in the unlikely event they don't work, except stupidly we didn't ask how to contact. So using the logic of neurologist we phoned the neurology department. Never heard of them. Oh dear. Fortunately neurology found her email and kindly tappy tapped her a long email.

She phoned us up not long after. Didn't work? Nope. Never mind, there is other stuff to try, but she can't prescribe it, so will have to write to mrs's GP, and ask them to because they're allowed to hand them out. Makes little sense, but I suppose she'll get pills eventually.

Of course because I've been going to Leeds to sort this out for 3 days this week Ma is kicking off because I'm not here to listen to her cool story bro stories about idiot sister's dog. Minutes of fun*

Posted

Two things this evening. I have massive back pain and can barely stand upright.

And I had to let a van I really wanted pass as I realized I don't have the health to fix it up it was also something rare and hard to find, and to make things worse, it was on auction and went for far too cheap.

Posted

An hour of rain , and a local flooding report for the local river already ..

Checks on line river gauge ...

It's not moved ... 

 

it did move at 3am , then went down again ......

Posted

Burghley Horse Trials. 

Not only does it further cripple the roads but people are acting like spoiled children because we're only allowed by security to park at the gate to hand food over. 
The amount of abuse we're copping is fucking pathetic. 

Listen, Karen, you entitled gak head: I am not allowed to drive into the grounds. If you kick off, no food. I'm sorry you're tired from doing lines and staring at nags all day, but we're sick of the meltdowns and temper tantrums. You spoke to my boss like she was a piece of shit last night. I'm quite glad you slammed the phone down. 

Security has decided we can't go into the grounds. OK? 

If I'm still at that takeaway next year, mysteriously, I will be unavailable that week. 

I've got one more night of this shite. Wish me luck. 

Posted

I emailed a cafe asking if they could cope with 20-25 cars stopping during our autumm classic car run for coffee and cake. 

That's been nearly a week and no reply. I guess you don't need 30-35 sales of coffee and cake. We'll just go somewhere else then. 

  • Sad 2
Posted
10 hours ago, DavieW said:

I emailed a cafe asking if they could cope with 20-25 cars stopping during our autumm classic car run for coffee and cake. 

That's been nearly a week and no reply. I guess you don't need 30-35 sales of coffee and cake. We'll just go somewhere else then. 

With businesses like that it’s generally better to call, or message them via Facebook, most setup their webpage and never monitor the email address in my experience.

Posted
3 hours ago, Jazoli said:

With businesses like that it’s generally better to call, or message them via Facebook, most setup their webpage and never monitor the email address in my experience.

Since then, my wife has tried 7 times to call but they don't answer. 

  • Sad 1
Posted
14 hours ago, DavieW said:

I emailed a cafe asking if they could cope with 20-25 cars stopping during our autumm classic car run for coffee and cake. 

That's been nearly a week and no reply. I guess you don't need 30-35 sales of coffee and cake. We'll just go somewhere else then. 

Maybe your email is in their Spam Spam Spam Spam... folder?

Posted

Screenshot_20260905-130712.png.6e762b96c2ddd322de8ac29d04dba10d.png

I got scammed by this cunt, luckily only for £8. It seemed cheap but I have had plenty of marketplace bargains before. It seemed a bit weird when he only asked for the postage amount of £8 via friends and family and said I should send the rest of the money once I had received the item, that was red flag number one. He claimed it would be posted Tuesday so I asked for a tracking number today but no reply. The advert is still showing as available so I messaged from an alternative account asking if it was still for sale and he replied  yes 😔so I asked could I collect and apparently "I am not local to him so that is not available"

I am slightly worried that he has my email and postal address so I have changed the email address on my PayPal account. It's odd that he is only asking for the postage amount instead of the full figure but I suppose if he gets lots of people trying to buy it £8 multiple times adds up quick and maybe he figures people will more readily just write that amount off.... 

  • Sad 8
Posted

Next thing to watch out for is getting a phone call or email, supposedly from PayPal, saying they have noticed the fraudulent transaction and offering to refund your £8.  Which will be an attempt to draw you in to giving them access to your PayPal account.

  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1
Posted

@adw1977 Yeah I am going to be particularly vigilant in case anything else dodgy happens 

Posted

Screenshot_20260905-230935.png.b733fb99f2507cd53557ede29a9ab046.png

I thought I would waste the pricks time with my alt account, I like the irony of him calling me a time waster. He has now deleted the listing at least.

Posted

Got a surprisingly reasonable quote for insuring a car i've always wanted to take the plunge on.

Except i couldn't enter the number plate, so had to do the model search manually.

All good. ok enough price, considering.

Except once i was finally able to enter the plate, they doubled the quote to well over a grand.

So what you're telling me is, you CAN cover that exact make and model for that price, just not THAT exact example of it?

Suuuurre, of course, you fucking bandit cunts.

Posted

I pass this development at least once a week. It was once indeed a meadow, now it's a housing estate of anonymous hutches. How the F can they call it Strathmore Meadows when there's no meadow left?  W*cker housebullders. 

Screenshot_20260907_201506_Chrome.jpg

  • Sad 1
Posted

so got in an hour late from flight

couldnt book train cos didnt know when would be at station from airport

flight is an hour late and no info from them as to why or how long itll be

cunts

but then get to train and decide to get train instead of tram as less stops and 10 mins walk home instead of half an hour

but they get closer to piccadilly and stop

not a problem - theyve stopped at a red - cos theres a q of 3 other trains waiting to get in

got to piccadilly and as i decide to get off - get a messge off them 'oh cos you had a delay youll be entitled to compo'

no shit as i missed my connection and got the tram anyway cos the next train i coulda got from where i was was another hour and half (!)

so theyll be getting to refund the portion i couldnt use and theyll be shouted at for teh tram fare too

Posted
2 hours ago, DavieW said:

I pass this development at least once a week. It was once indeed a meadow, now it's a housing estate of anonymous hutches. How the F can they call it Strathmore Meadows when there's no meadow left?  W*cker housebullders. 

Screenshot_20260907_201506_Chrome.jpg

Name the estate after the thing you destroyed to build it.  Standard developer logic.

There's one near me called Forge Wood.  Obviously they massacred almost all the trees to build it.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...