Like a G6, Like a G6...Now Im feelin so fly like a G6...

volvoman

I wasnt looking to replace my Starlet, im quite happy with the "Harlot" as my daily, but when this Corolla G6 came up last weekend, I ended up buying it!

Its like a Starlets "bigger brother", same 1.3, 4E-FE engine(although this has the extra HP) with the Corolla octopus inlet manifold fitted as standard.

Great service history, stupid low mileage, an apart from the pitted factory alloys, in pretty good shape...whats not to like.

P1390285-to-800.jpg

P1390290-to-800.jpg

P1390294-to-800.jpg

1 minute ago, davehedgehog31 said:

Fit. Well bought. 

Cheers for that. I should have done a collection thread on it last weekend, but i didnt want to "put the kiss of death on it", in case i didnt end up buying it! As usual for me, the viewing, tyre kickin, haggling etc all happened a bit quick....One day, one day i will do a collection thread.

4 minutes ago, Jim Bell said:

Looks lovely. That Reg must be worth a fortune.  

Thanks. Ha Ha...Its just a habit of mine(the reg. thing)...If im just posting pics of my cars, i delete most of the reg.   But if i advertise/sell a car, then i show the whole reg.  😉

I'm sure I read somewhere that these have an aluminium bonnet, unlike all other models of Corolla. I can't see why they would though, it seems a ridiculous notion. Would you mind putting a magnet on yours and clearing up the question once and for all?

#### EDIT: Just googled it and its the 'G6R' thats has an alloy bonnet. Ignore me!!!

2 hours ago, Mr_Bo11ox said:

I'm sure I read somewhere that these have an aluminium bonnet, unlike all other models of Corolla. I can't see why they would though, it seems a ridiculous notion. Would you mind putting a magnet on yours and clearing up the question once and for all?

#### EDIT: Just googled it and its the 'G6R' thats has an alloy bonnet. Ignore me!!!

Yes, its just the G6R that has the ally bonnet, as well as several other add-ons no doubt.

2 hours ago, sierraman said:

A six speed box on a car intended for going back and forth to the Post Office. Wonderful. 

Whats the economy like?

I think the 6 speed box, is just a close ratio affair(i doubt the gear ratios are that much different) than a 5 speed box though.

I would think economy(running costs) for this little jewel, will be similar to my Starlet(although a Starlet weighs approx 200 Kilos less)...but yeah, cheap on tax/petrol/insurance...bullet proof little engines...Toyota reliability......all seems to add up to economical motoring.

1 hour ago, Cookiesouwest said:

Thats a thing of beauty

Cheers, its my 1st ever Corolla, so to start with a limited edition G6 is a bonus.

52 minutes ago, w00dy said:

I hadn't realised G6 stood for 6 gears! On a 90s Corolla. Very cool

Its a well equipped little car, im sure i read that just 1800 G6's were made for the UK market??...cant be many left on the road these days?

31 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

These bugeye Corollas look great in decent specs. 

It has got that bug-eye look about it for sure.

Just now, RoadworkUK said:

Seems entirely barmy. Was the six-speed box in it for some sort of arcane motorsport homologation reason, like the Laguna Airflow's rear spoiler?

Who knows?...didnt these bug eyed Corollas do very well at the WRC?!

23 hours ago, Quintus said:

Nice! These look so much better than the five door versions.

Cheers, i dont think i could put up with a 5 door version, that arse end just looks all wrong!!

23 hours ago, sgtberbatov said:

Oh look at you, being all posh with your rev counter.

Good buy though! Didn't think they had the 1.3 in the G6?

Thanks, as well as the rev counter (with a G6) you also get Honeycomb type dials, Air-con, ABS, Electric Sunroof/Windows/Mirrors...Mesh front Grill, front Fog lights, so for a 1997 1.3 Corolla, this comes in a nice spec.

Interior shot(havent had a chance to clean the inside yet!).

Edit - an the factory front lower lip!

P1390303-to-800.jpg

16 minutes ago, volvoman said:

Cheers, i dont think i could put up with a 5 door version, that arse end just looks all wrong!!

Thanks, as well as the rev counter (with a G6) you also get Honeycomb type dials, Air-con, ABS, Electric Sunroof/Windows/Mirrors...Mesh front Grill, front Fog lights, so for a 1997 1.3 Corolla, this comes in a nice spec.

Interior shot(havent had a chance to clean the inside yet!).

P1390303-to-800.jpg

The G6 is top spec. You also get the black interior, as mine is the S which is poverty spec. So keep fit windows, mirrors, no rev counter, nothing really other than pure unadulterated reliability. 

I'd have thought R would've been 1998, mine must've been late R then.

14 minutes ago, sgtberbatov said:

The G6 is top spec. You also get the black interior, as mine is the S which is poverty spec. So keep fit windows, mirrors, no rev counter, nothing really other than pure unadulterated reliability. 

I'd have thought R would've been 1998, mine must've been late R then.

Its my 1st Corolla, so im still just learning about them. I have a couple of Starlets, an my youngest son has just bought a Starlet himself, so we are recently into Toyota's.

Strangly enough, last year i spotted an almost identical G6 local to me, i even knocked for it too. The owner didnt have it up for sale either, so i was just trying my luck, i left her my number, but she didnt get back to me. I know where it is...............maybe its time to call for it again...i mean, whats better than a G6???....Two G6's i guess. Maybe i could talk my son into trading up his Starlet, for this other G6...i doubt it though, he is now on an early path to modding up his Starlet!!! This other G6 is even the same Colour an Reg to!!

Ive just got the Logbook back, mines a late 1997 R Reg.

12 hours ago, Madman Of The People said:

I was expecting this thread to be about the Pontiac G6.

Pontiac_G6.jpg

Close...............................................................................but no cigar.

As i understand it(from the lyrics/song/video) below/here/link thang.       The real G6...is short for the Gulfstream G650, a luxury private jet.

12 hours ago, wuvvum said:

I always had the impression that the G6 was kind of like the Punto 6speed - a sort of vaguely sporty version but with the smallest engine, with a 6-speed 'box to make it a bit quicker than a bASe model.

Pretty much, i guess.

Interesting tidbits, the C161/C162 gearbox in these are unique to the Corolla G6 and not shared with any other models. But in actuality it is just a longer geared C160 gearbox that is usually mated to the various 4A-GE 20V models. Watch out for the second gear synchro and always use manual transmission specific GL4 gear oil.

I think these might be the absolute pinnacle of insurance friendly special? With it having all kinds of sporty "hot hatch" goodies but with a shopping cart-spec 1.3 4E-FE. They're extremely lightweight though so the power deficiency is not that much of an issue I'd imagine.

On 12/10/2020 at 5:16 PM, Conan said:

Interesting tidbits, the C161/C162 gearbox in these are unique to the Corolla G6 and not shared with any other models. But in actuality it is just a longer geared C160 gearbox that is usually mated to the various 4A-GE 20V models. Watch out for the second gear synchro and always use manual transmission specific GL4 gear oil.

I think these might be the absolute pinnacle of insurance friendly special? With it having all kinds of sporty "hot hatch" goodies but with a shopping cart-spec 1.3 4E-FE. They're extremely lightweight though so the power deficiency is not that much of an issue I'd imagine.

Cheers for that, some decent info. on the gearbox situation, thanks.

Im sure the G6 insurance bracket will be group 15? My Starlet is the CD spec(top spec for a Starlet 😃............laughs a little, at the usage of top starlet spec!!!).  Starlet insurance is group 11.   Im mid 50's, so my fears of "high insurance costs", are well behind me! I wonder if this G6 qualifies as classic  insurance yet?

The 1.3 engine is clever, its lower road tax...G6 has approx 10 HP more than the Starlet, but Starlet is 810 Kilos, the G6 is a whopping 1040 kilos!!  G6 is still light though, so will be nimble i guess. Not sure it counts as a "Hot hatch" though, but it comes close.

On 12/10/2020 at 5:23 PM, SiC said:

Corolla

Odd ball spec

Rare 3 door

I know who'll like this

@BorniteIdentity

The thread title is a little cryptic, he might not even know its Toyota based, chances are he aint even seen it?

Im only a "part timer" on here, i dont know any of the AS forumites, but i think i can remember Borniteldentity, "stalking" me over my Blackberry S90???

18 minutes ago, volvoman said:

Cheers for that, some decent info. on the gearbox situation, thanks.

Im sure the G6 insurance bracket will be group 15? My Starlet is the CD spec(top spec for a Starlet 😃............laughs a little, at the usage of top starlet spec!!!).  Starlet insurance is group 11.   Im mid 50's, so my fears of "high insurance costs", are well behind me! I wonder if this G6 qualifies as classic  insurance yet?

The 1.3 engine is clever, its lower road tax...G6 has approx 10 HP more than the Starlet, but Starlet is 810 Kilos, the G6 is a whopping 1040 kilos!!  G6 is still light though, so will be nimble i guess. Not sure it counts as a "Hot hatch" though, but it comes close.

The thread title is a little cryptic, he might not even know its Toyota based, chances are he aint even seen it?

Im only a "part timer" on here, i dont know any of the AS forumites, but i think i can remember Borniteldentity, "stalking" me over my Blackberry S90???

Yes that was me, and yes the cryptic title didn’t garner my attention! 

I like this. Bug eyes - purple- curious spec - very nice. I wasn’t sure where they sit in the great leaderboard of specifications so nice to know a bit more. 

Did you sell the Volvo?

1 hour ago, BorniteIdentity said:

Yes that was me, and yes the cryptic title didn’t garner my attention! 

I like this. Bug eyes - purple- curious spec - very nice. I wasn’t sure where they sit in the great leaderboard of specifications so nice to know a bit more. 

Did you sell the Volvo?

I think the "toyota boys", call that G6 colour "Blurple"?!...Is it blue? is it purple?, nah feck it, its blurple! 😉

I still have my Blackberry S90......................but im embarassed to say, that ive done very little to it. I knew i wouldnt gel with it, im a wagon/estate man, i thought about swapping it for the estate version, but ive not gone any futher than "thought"!

Apart from starting it up regular, driving around a bit, washin it some, its had no love from me.................oh wait, i did buy 2 sets of Volvo alloys(Pegs an Nebs) which are some of the most desirable factory alloys, all the Volvo boys want. But i havent even tried the new wheels on it, to see which ones i would use.

Im traveling a different path these days(looking at another Starlet tomorrow) so both Volvo an Mica Dot, will have to be sold soon...the "trouble an strife" is whinging about too many cars on the driveway again!!!!!!

Some pics of those tasty 18' wheels an tyres.

P1780264-to-800.jpg

P1780257-to-800.jpg

P1780248-to-800.jpg

2 hours ago, volvoman said:

I think the "toyota boys", call that G6 colour "Blurple"?!...Is it blue? is it purple?, nah feck it, its blurple! 😉

I still have my Blackberry S90......................but im embarassed to say, that ive done very little to it. I knew i wouldnt gel with it, im a wagon/estate man, i thought about swapping it for the estate version, but ive not gone any futher than "thought"!

Apart from starting it up regular, driving around a bit, washin it some, its had no love from me.................oh wait, i did buy 2 sets of Volvo alloys(Pegs an Nebs) which are some of the most desirable factory alloys, all the Volvo boys want. But i havent even tried the new wheels on it, to see which ones i would use.

Im traveling a different path these days(looking at another Starlet tomorrow) so both Volvo an Mica Dot, will have to be sold soon...the "trouble an strife" is whinging about too many cars on the driveway again!!!!!!

Some pics of those tasty 18' wheels an tyres.

P1780264-to-800.jpg

P1780257-to-800.jpg

P1780248-to-800.jpg

Well I’d certainly be interested - but I don’t want to be accused of stalking you so let me know when it’s time. If you want. Or not! 

I like most 90s jap tat tbh - especially pre 95. I’m still half planning on bringing a Starlet or Carina back from Ireland as they’re popular there and my best mate is now resident. Good luck with the fleet! 

On 12/12/2020 at 3:22 PM, BorniteIdentity said:

Well I’d certainly be interested - but I don’t want to be accused of stalking you so let me know when it’s time. If you want. Or not! 

I like most 90s jap tat tbh - especially pre 95. I’m still half planning on bringing a Starlet or Carina back from Ireland as they’re popular there and my best mate is now resident. Good luck with the fleet! 

No problems mate(the usage of the word stalking) was light hearted/in jest. No rush to sell the Volvo just yet, its the only Volvo i own...but if i buy an estate, then yes i will let you know. Its not easy trying to find decent pre 2000 Volvos right now??? their prices seem to have sky rocketed!!!

Im new to 90's jap tat myself(only 4 years in) we started off with K11 Micras, then Starlets...now this Corolla G6...an i must say, early Toyotas tick a lot of boxes for not only me, but also my youngest son. He bought his 1st Micra when he was 14, then another Micra when 17, now at 18, he owns a Starlet.

I agree, it would seem that the Irish are well keen on their early Toyotas, especially Starlets.     The fleet remains the same today, no new buys....i looked at a nice Starlet(in the rain!!) but i cant buy an overpriced car, off of 3 family members...when the Mother an Daughter out rank the Father, in the equation!!!! There is just something not quite right(for me personally) when it comes to either buying, or selling to women!!! Sexist, it might sound...but there it is.

22 hours ago, Lacquer Peel said:

11.9 seconds to 60MPH and 109MPH top speed seems quite perky for a 1.3. I have always been curious about these and kind of want a diesel bug eye Corolla.

Not sure i could go for the diesel version myself...but never say never.