Mx-5 gone, pug 107 and 300C now here.

paulplom

On 6/24/2020 at 7:42 PM, Pete-M said:

I used to drive one of the oldest Eunos in the UK. One of the first batch made with the original spec rorty exhaust from new. I think it was one of the first 500 made. 

I'm over 6 ft and never had any issues fitting in it. 

I found one of the first Eunos's made earlier on the internet which was an F reg! I always thought they started at G?

5 hours ago, paulplom said:

O2 sensor swap. It'a in a nice and accessible position. My 15mm compression nut spanner fit the sensor and refitting it was easy.

You were really lucky there to get that out without a fight!

5 hours ago, paulplom said:

Everything on the car seems to be very accessible

They are! It's why they're bound to become a defacto classic like an MGB. 

MX5 MK1 was the first car that gave me confidence in wrenching on a car. I have a big soft spot for them. 

JDM-YO Fog lights - I had a set on one of mine that almost set the car on fire with poor quality wiring (genuine mazda accessories but shoddy diy wiring) I took them off and ebayed them, don't much drive in fog anyway :) 

The F reg one above is an import, curiously registered in 2003 as a "roadstat unos" !

IMG_2010.thumb.PNG.812f27b1db5a310c78cd10d7f578f331.PNG

IMG_2011.thumb.PNG.04161418eb8d789dab04d7a996279c50.PNG

1 minute ago, Tenmil Socket said:

@gm you don’t happen to have a pair of front callipers for a 1.8 knocking about do you?

I'm afraid not, all my brake stuff is 1.6, I'm on the lookout for the brackets to upgrade mine. The calipers are the same between the two models, you just swap the brackets and fit bigger discs / pads. Any mk2 will have 1.8 size brakes, some mk2.5 got bigger brakes which is a full swap.

try mazdadudes in darlington, they have a good stock of used mx5 parts in, prices seem to be fair too.

4 minutes ago, gm said:

I'm afraid not, all my brake stuff is 1.6, I'm on the lookout for the brackets to upgrade mine. The calipers are the same between the two models, you just swap the brackets and fit bigger discs / pads. Any mk2 will have 1.8 size brakes, some mk2.5 got bigger brakes which is a full swap.

try mazdadudes in darlington, they have a good stock of used mx5 parts in, prices seem to be fair too.

You mean the calipers on a 1.6 and a 1.8 are the same but the carrier’s are different?

Yep, the only difference is the slider pins on the front are the other way round, on 1.6 the thick one is at the top (or visa versa) you just bolt on the brackets and keep your existing calipers for the upgrade. 

EA159644-8A37-4370-8C47-6E4ACBAF32B1.thumb.jpeg.405c7e4381a3110b84b7a4a82d210b9f.jpeg89267ADC-238F-4C09-8CEC-FE3B687AA95D.thumb.jpeg.e417329c44a33a9323ebb85c3318750a.jpegLoosen off the two nuts on the ‘saddle’ over the cam angle sensor, on the back of the head you will see the bolt that locks the location of the sensor, mark the position of the sensor before removing this then the whole unit will slide out. Swap the O ring and slide it back in, line up the position with your mark you made earlier and your timing will be set correctly. 

You’ve probably spotted it but there’s a rogue piece of gasket lying just next to your intake cam - mind to get that fished out :) 

i usually put a wee dab of sealant in each corner where the gasket goes over the humps on the front and back.