Dollywobbler's Consolidated Tat Thread

dollywobbler

2 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

Yes, I turned down an Audi S4 in New Zealand (I think it was an R4). Then the owner mentioned he also owned an Isuzu Mu Wizard and I was I WANT IT! Also got offered a more modern Audi recently with over 470bhp - just not right for the channel, so declined. More often, folk end up in my 'pending' email folder and I never actually find myself anywhere near them. Frustrating that, for both parties!

I for one would love to see you try a 470bhp Audi.  

15 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

Genuinely not interested. It's impossible to exploit such power on public roads, and so becomes an exercise in sheer frustration. 

Indeed. I have 61bhp in my blue Favorit (possibly even less now) and it is still faster than 99% of other cars on the road. I have double that in the green Favorit and it is harder to drive than the blue one because you have to tickle the throttle and be careful pulling away. I can't imagine what you can do with 470bhp unless you live in the Highlands. Even then could you ever really put your foot down for more than a couple seconds?

Power is exciting, don't get me wrong, but there's a time and a place for it, and I increasingly feel roads are not that. The Alpine GTA had about the perfect amount of power, but even with that I wasn't fully able to exploit it, and found myself the wrong side of the limit (off camera) on occasion. 

There's definitely more fun in driving a slow car fast than fast car slow. Despite that, I am giving very serious thought to a 720 engine for the 2CV next year...

9 hours ago, Yoss said:

Indeed. I have 61bhp in my blue Favorit (possibly even less now) and it is still faster than 99% of other cars on the road. I have double that in the green Favorit and it is harder to drive than the blue one because you have to tickle the throttle and be careful pulling away. I can't imagine what you can do with 470bhp unless you live in the Highlands. Even then could you ever really put your foot down for more than a couple seconds?

I find 300bhp is adequate.

13 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

There's definitely more fun in driving a slow car fast than fast car slow. Despite that, I am giving very serious thought to a 720 engine for the 2CV next year...

I'm increasingly thinking that.

However I beg to differ that a 720 2cv is a fast car.

22 hours ago, Yoss said:

Even the ~270bhp in the saab formerly of @Flat4 was more than necessary... and terrifying. 😂

3 minutes ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

Even the ~270bhp in the saab formerly of @Flat4 was more than necessary... and terrifying. 😂

You'd think that but after a few months you'll get used to it and want more. Or I did when I was younger. Saying that my Saab 9000 running 270 ish BHP was far more exciting than my 315bhp M5. Mainly because the Saab was putting it's power through the front wheels with a big wallop of boost whereas the M5 was so well put together that it could've easily taken more power.

14 hours ago, Yoss said:

Famously of course, James Hunt had an A35 for this very reason. 

James-Hunt-Van-Image-2-1024x682.thumb.jpg.1633dc7d5b18d8f7a9f83e2207be96c5.jpg

Amusingly, whilst googling the above I also found this. 

Shutterstock_9030844a.thumb.jpg.011d40fb345989726f19fe4c36a51981.jpg

He also had a very large and fast Mercedes but parked on bricks to slow it down. Or someone has pinched his wheels. 

Apologies for thread hijack. 

He refused to pay ( or couldn’t pay) the road tax on it, so put it on bricks to show it was off the road. The a35 /40 van was for his budgies.

Turns out you can fit quite a lot of Aussie Ford inside a Berlingo.

20220924_105112.thumb.jpg.1c029930f7a709a37eebd293974706cc.jpg

A fruitful 620-mile drive to Essex and back. Rear doors, bootlid, headlining, four wheels and tyres, front bumper and various engine ancilliaries and interior oddments. Also got to drive an AU Ute with the Windsor V8 (taken from the XR8 that donated these parts). And a Panhard. It's been a good week.

20220923_124027.thumb.jpg.0ff036764d061b5cb104828dfee9f574.jpg

Ugh. The day did not go well. While I was still hunting for somewhere to film the initial walkaround, the engine started missing badly and I was limping along at 20mph. Then not even that. Had to pull over on the side of a 60mph road and slap my hand down on the top of the carb to try and clear a blockage. Then it conked out again where I filmed the intro...

Could not get it to start, but managed to wriggle the fuel feed pipe from the pump so I could use it to effectively prime the carburettor by cranking the engine a little. By this time, typically, it had stopped raining and the screenwash proved to be broken...

But mostly, I ran out of time. I had to film the Panhard, then the AU Ute, then had to load up the Berlingo and hot-foot it 300-miles back to Wales. It was a very long day! I was gutted, because Panhard wipers are just so hypnotic. 

I did record a TikTok, because I'm cool and down with da kids. 

3 hours ago, richardmorris said:

Pervert,

On 26/09/2022 at 22:01, richardmorris said:

Knitting needle in a box of spark plugs description of the gear change . Ljk setright de nos jours!
it does sound like a viscious 2cv engine, though I missed the power output ( plane went over ).

0771CA17-3F5C-48F6-98D9-A886FD345144.jpeg

The wipers are excellent on that, absolutely amazing. As a way to relax after a long hard day, you just can't beat a bit of HubNut.