Sainsbury's Archive

trigger

44 minutes ago, bunglebus said:

Thought I knew 99% of all the cars on UK roads back then but I'm seeing things totally new to me.

My first thoughts where an Enfield electric car, but it's got a filler cap (and the back window is slightly different) - it's bugging me I'm sure I've seen one before. Someone please help.

Not one of these -

image.png.e2b6dc26e245f0fbb29a8c52962a5dc1.png

Morris 1800, the Austins had a flat bonnet and 2200s had the trapezoid headlights. The Wolesley had the Morris bonnet with a grille that fitted the contours better and of course the ghost lamp.

Not that I spent 3 weeks watching the press and dealer launch cars change drivers outside my school in Bromsgrove  when I was 11 , or owt...

11 minutes ago, NorfolkNWeigh said:

Morris 1800, the Austins had a flat bonnet and 2200s had the trapezoid headlights. The Wolesley had the Morris bonnet with a grille that fitted the contours better and of course the ghost lamp.

Not that I spent 3 weeks watching the press and dealer launch cars change drivers outside my school in Bromsgrove  when I was 11 , or owt...

f2da6795ad0ebfff9c6a4978aca711b2.jpg

2 hours ago, HMC said:

Nine elms, London 1984

6013E1A3-E688-41AD-8F76-D4BFAD4798FB.thumb.png.e8130a571d07d62513a8285902484cd6.png

Oh. A 1964, so 20 year old Vauxhall, parked up next to a 1983 Passat...in 1984.

I actually recreated similar this morning...I parked my 1999, 20 year old Fiat Marea next to an 18 plate Passat, in Sainsbury's car park at Colton, Leeds.

I just thought I had to mention, as the equivalent to that picture can still occur, if you get my drift...

2 hours ago, adw1977 said:

That old Cresta is epic.

Note how a large 1960s car still looked like a large car next to 1980s models.  I bet it would look small next to a current generation Passat.

That's an FB Victor, I thought it was a PB Cresta too until looking closer just because it looks so big (and ancient) next to that Pisshat 

Some more amazing stuff! That Rayleigh branch is well worth looking through, it contains so many obscurities.

image.thumb.png.c47e318b0a8c29bcc5a3c52836169229.png

Granada coupe! JLF 422N, last taxed in 1987. Did it end its days at Arena Essex? Would be lovely to think it's still around in a garage, waiting for the Triplerich magic touch.

image.thumb.png.4195a49b2938fbce937b953e63dec99a.png

Sunny twins. Of more note may be the Corsair estate, plus the 105E.

The 240K is great to see, I've just managed to work out the plate as being JTW 648V, it only made it to 1990. Fantastic to see the Crown estate out in the wild too, they were one of the few Japanese cars I recall from when I was young, much as it shames me to say it now but I found the rest were difficult to distinguish from each other....

1 hour ago, bunglebus said:

Have they added new pictures? I'm sure I've checked some of these branches before

I’m not sure. I keep trying different search terms that last go was “car parking” rather than “car park” could just be new additions or a quirk of the search engine.