bunglebus

The "WTF is that?" thread

I would say that I took this very photograph;

35566983361_71daf2742f_b.thumb.jpg.3f6899672a241c636f730f56825acd5b.jpg

I uploaded the photo with a dozen or so others to FOTKI hosting thing, who held me to ransom, wanting me to pay them money. As the caption says, it was taken at Deva-Dubs & rods show at Chester Racecourse and that bloke and another spent much of the weekend persuading it to fire up and run, which eventually it did, but it drove & sounded like it only had one gear, I suspect it was a semi-auto. The story went that the owner bought it as a new car and immediately did this to it, he & his wife then covered something like sixty thousand miles in it before laying it up. What you can't see is that there's a fourth (steering) wheel at the back, it really does have a rhomboid wheelbase! As you can imagine, I captioned the picture 'Earnshaw Diamond'.

1801786089_Screenshot2019-08-21at08_45_33.thumb.png.a5b6c2af9a483374aa207ba02b85bb96.png

^^^ That's fantastic - I've seen that pic doing the rounds for quite a few years now, so it's good to learn a bit about the background, finally.

I suspect Maxwagen was Earnshaw's code name for their secret test prototypes, just as the pre-production Range Rovers were badged as Velar... did you get any pics of the 666cc whirligig engine?

No, I actually thought it was a Beetle that had been recently ruined in the name of RatLuk Xtreme, but no - I guess people have been doing silly shit to Dubs for no particular reason since Moses was a nipper...

12 hours ago, barefoot said:

I would say that I took this very photograph;

35566983361_71daf2742f_b.thumb.jpg.3f6899672a241c636f730f56825acd5b.jpg

I uploaded the photo with a dozen or so others to FOTKI hosting thing, who held me to ransom, wanting me to pay them money. As the caption says, it was taken at Deva-Dubs & rods show at Chester Racecourse and that bloke and another spent much of the weekend persuading it to fire up and run, which eventually it did, but it drove & sounded like it only had one gear, I suspect it was a semi-auto. The story went that the owner bought it as a new car and immediately did this to it, he & his wife then covered something like sixty thousand miles in it before laying it up. What you can't see is that there's a fourth (steering) wheel at the back, it really does have a rhomboid wheelbase! As you can imagine, I captioned the picture 'Earnshaw Diamond'.

1801786089_Screenshot2019-08-21at08_45_33.thumb.png.a5b6c2af9a483374aa207ba02b85bb96.png

35566982961_fd32ae20c1_b.jpgThe Maxwagen GEP14G VW Based Special by RS, on Flickr

I remember reading about it, the creator couldn't weld so the entire thing is bolted together like Meccano

Hot on the heels of this thing image.thumb.jpeg.b21b38ed891df29f14a0ebf577b3c500.jpeg

is this thingimage.jpeg.370734188dc397938843e41bfbbd1462.jpeg

Both should really be in the WTF thread and in the Six wheel thread.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1967-Morris-Minor-Traveller-Extended-double-axle-Project-1-8-Diesel-needs-work/283623967943?hash=item42094e4cc7:g:wYIAAOSwa4xdilQk

I'm certain I remember reading about that Moggie on the MMOC forum years ago, it was in daily use then. Can't be too many six wheelers with a ford diesel in them. Makes you wonder how it got in that state when it was obviously loved at some point.

If my library was more organised I could tell you who built that car and what it's made of. iirc he did not have the use of his legs and it's a sort of home-made Greek invacar with hand controls. Wheels are obviously Mini but I can't remember what powers it. I did spend an hour last night looking for the answer but I got distracted, soz

5 hours ago, barrett said:

If my library was more organised I could tell you who built that car and what it's made of. iirc he did not have the use of his legs and it's a sort of home-made Greek invacar with hand controls. Wheels are obviously Mini but I can't remember what powers it. I did spend an hour last night looking for the answer but I got distracted, soz

I had a look last night as well - couldn't find a thing, but I did discover some fantastic Greek cars from defunct local manufacturers which I will put in the 'cars I didn't know existed until recently' thread.

Here you go. Apparently it has a Mercedes diesel engine and no floor, with rope hammock seats as the guy's legs just dangled underneath....

20191009_213737.thumb.jpg.10a697bf1796d74e39fdd9332ef85a54.jpg

This was his first attempt at making a car:

20191009_213639.thumb.jpg.3ad59087a4e4d960e913ebeeeb8360e4.jpg

Based on a triporter-style three wheeled delivery motorcycle, with a windscreen repurposed from a light aircraft canopy...