Ask a Shiter

warren t claim

Engine idling super slow (probs around 150-200rpm) and occasionally dying. Liderally started on my way home from work this evening, totes irritated. Most probable cause/solution.

It's the Justy with a Hitachi carb so couldn't be more trivial, sadly.

Car's been otherwise fine, idles at a healthy 900ish usually.

It does. Or rather the forum does. Always browse whilst signed in, then you'll see a little blue spot (or star - don't know the difference). It's next to the topic title on 'General Chat' page. Press that, it'll take you to the first post you haven't yet read.

Hope that helps.

I never press the title link - always the blue thing :)

Blue dot = 1st unread post 

Blue star = a thread you have posted a comment in

(Me thinks so anyways) 

What are those little wiry things under modern BMWs - you can see them from the rear, roughly mounted under the rear axle - it's a kind've U^U^U^U^U^U shaped thing, and you can see them if you're following one behind. I can't think of what it could be for (or what to search for on google)?

I've always wanted to know that. I originally assumed it was some kind of fluid-cooling affair, but then realised that would be a really fucking stupid place to put that. Then I realised that was no reason to assume it wasn't anything critical, bearing in mind how reliability and cheap repair costs are at the forefront* of modern car design.

It does. Or rather the forum does. Always browse whilst signed in, then you'll see a little blue spot (or star - don't know the difference). It's next to the topic title on 'General Chat' page. Press that, it'll take you to the first post you haven't yet read.

Hope that helps.

I never press the title link - always the blue thing :)

Great stuff, cheers for that!

XUD question.
Drove home yesterday (after a long journey) turned off the ignition, and the faithful BX ran-on for a second or two, then as it should have done went off.
Today it decided to not "turn off" at all, and i had to stall it in 5th.
Woudl i be right in saying that this is the Stop Solenoid ? ... or should i be looking at something else ?

Could be the stop soleniod but BX's do suffer with ignition switch problems.

Bare both ends of a length of wire attach one end to the positive battery terminal and keep touching the top (where the wire is) of the soleniod with the other end.You should be able to hear it clicking in and out.

What are those little wiry things under modern BMWs - you can see them from the rear, roughly mounted under the rear axle - it's a kind've U^U^U^U^U^U shaped thing, and you can see them if you're following one behind. I can't think of what it could be for (or what to search for on google)?

It's gotta be some sort of oil cooler. Would BMWs be so OMGHIGHPERFORMANCE that they need the diff oil cooling? Or perhaps it's for the gearbox, but if you mount it between the rear wheels than it's less likely to be clonked on a speedhump than mounted halfway down the car, where it'll be hit once the front wheels drop off the hump.

What happens to all the cars used in EuroNCAP crash tests? Is there an ever increasing EU 'bent motor mountain' in an anonymous warehouse on the outskirts of Brussels...?

What happens to all the cars used in EuroNCAP crash tests? Is there an ever increasing EU 'bent motor mountain' in an anonymous warehouse on the outskirts of Brussels...?

hmm.... more worryingly, some TV prog reported that 'bits' of jet engines - part no.s traced to 'auld shite'/ writeoffs - were found circulating on 'AirLine FleeBay' [sortof] for fitting to shedds in 'Outer-wherever.....'

EuroNCAP Dacia Duster re-formed bulkheads as 'coke tin lids' are not a worry, for me.....

tooSavvy

It's gotta be some sort of oil cooler. Would BMWs be so OMGHIGHPERFORMANCE that they need the diff oil cooling? Or perhaps it's for the gearbox, but if you mount it between the rear wheels than it's less likely to be clonked on a speedhump than mounted halfway down the car, where it'll be hit once the front wheels drop off the hump.

M3's have extra cooling fins for the diff. But that's not good enough for some....post-17414-0-71567700-1378932969_thumb.jpg

That is the extra cooling an e39 540 diff needs to do a track day,apparently.

I've worked out most of the jargon and that on here, but can't for the life of me work out what 'EFA' means.

Edited For Accuracy.

Took me a while too...

:-)

• Like 1

I saw this under an M3 today and, with the aid of REALOEM http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=KG92&mospid=52121&btnr=33_1419&hg=33&fg=10 , reckon its either cooling fins in the diff casing or additional oil passages to cool the diff oil.

I've been roped in to doing a charity mpg challenge driving a new model Honda Civic dizzle. Basically the team that scores the highest MPG wins some money to go to charidy.

The challenge is over 100 miles and I can drive on any road I want at any time of day. I was thinking the M74 about 8 at night should be clear enough so I don't run into traffic and the road's wide enough for my low speed not to cause any massive pile ups.

Now, my problem is I'm a shovel footed idiot with a low attentions span. I'm basically a a terrible choice for this challenge so have you mingebag shitters got any hyper miling tips?

Is 56mph the right speed?

What's the best way to tackle hills?

Is there anything obvious that's an MPG killer?

Sit behind a truck and do whatever speed he does, it'll probably nearer 52mph than 56mph, just sit there, don't overtake or do anything silly. It'll only be a couple of hours, just watch the back of the truck.

A rolling road would be cheating wouldn't it?

I think the rolling road might be taking it too far. I'm not sure if they'd be too keen on me removing all but the drivers seat on a brand new car either.

The trucks a good one, I remember seeing that on Mythbusters. I thoughts cruise control would be good but because it's always adjusting the throttle it's not supposed be the best.

Find a long stretch of road with no interruptions (ideally illuminated) and drive it over night to avoid other traffic.

Figure out what the lowest speed the car can cope with in top gear, look at the revs and add 200rpm.

Drive at whatever speed that rpm gives you.

Depending on hills you'll either slow down a touch or need to feed in slightly more revs.

I'd keep an eye out for other traffic and be prepared to put the hazards on and let trucks and milk floats pass you.