Dollywobbler's Skoda Pogweasel Debadged One Heck of an Estate

dollywobbler

They'll be the same viscosity when hot anyway, and the viscosity of a cold 10w40 oil will still be much thicker than a hot 15w40, so I don't follow the logic why this could be a problem...

I always thought the 40 was the cold bit and the 10 or 15 was hot. So it starts the same thickness but then gets thinner. Am I wrong (wouldn't be the first time this week on this forum)? If so then no it wouldnt make any difference.

I always thought the 40 was the cold bit and the 10 or 15 was hot. So it starts the same thickness but then gets thinner. Am I wrong (wouldn't be the first time this week on this forum)? If so then no it wouldnt make any difference.

Sadly, you are. The first number is followed by W to indicate Winter, so witchcraft allows the viscosity to increase with warmth. Pure witchcraft.

First chance I've had to have a reasonable guess at fuel consumption. We filled the Skoda up at Amesbury, then drove to Tiverton in Devon, then home, then into Aberystwyth. About 260 miles I reckon, on 26.77 litres of fuel. So, not far off 45mpg. That'll do.

Like double the power and treble the torque yet more MPG?

Probably not fair to compare an 80s designed Favorit to a much more expensive when new 90s designed Passat.

Yet it doesn't sound like utter crap, doesn't drink greasy horrible oil and doesn't blast a ton of soot out of its arse. It also has a power band that seems to go from 1000rpm up to 5500. It actually drives quite a lot like a non-turbo XUD to be honest, but without the clatter.

Glad to see you are enjoying this pogweasel pink Skoda, I could easily get to Leeds from Felixstowe on under half a tank of juice, you can see why Favorits sold well, I remember when it came time to sell the old L reg one we had, no haggling at all, salesman just asked what we wanted for it trade in against a brand new Felicia (after an insult from DMK group), got top book for it even at 4yrs old, slightly scruffy and 55k on the clock. Saw it for a few years afterwards knocking about too. You put your sensible hat on buying this, which is quite unlike you LOL

Like double the power and treble the torque yet more MPG?

Probably not fair to compare an 80s designed Favorit to a much more expensive when new 90s designed Passat.

Are yes comparing a diesel gate with a petrol, you are certainly on a win-win argument there. :?

Tested it this morning and my glue plan had failed immediately. So, I set about mullering the shaft with a screwdriver and a hammer instead, hoping to force a square peg into a round hole. That worked! Testing success.

Sadly, I bent the speedo needle very slightly, and didn't notice until my test drive. Ugh. Still, it's almost exactly spot on against sat nav.

The de-pogging has begun!

DwfIgynWsAIG0ey.jpg

Sadly, the short days mean this'll be a project over several days. It had a clay bar session (I hadn't got a clue what I was doing but by heck it pulled some crap (and pink) out of the paint!) and is now awaiting a session with the cutting compound and my elbow. Given how much pink came off just with a clay bar, I think my mate was right to recommend I leave the DA mop well out of this. I might crack that out on the Matiz.

I was toying with the idea of going out tonight, but it's bloody freezing. As it's slightly above freezing in the garage, and the Skoda is now dry, I might spend my evening there instead.

Turns out de-Pogging was a really stupid idea.

Dwf_maWXgAAwI2g.jpg

That's the bonnet 3/4s done. I'm sure I'm doing it all wrong, but the eventual paint finish is still absolutely bloody terrible (well, it would be. It's had a terrible blow-over at some point) and now I wish I'd not bothered. Polishing cars never makes me happy.

Sadly, you are. The first number is followed by W to indicate Winter, so witchcraft allows the viscosity to increase with warmth.

Not quite - the first number relates to the viscosity when cold, i.e. for a 10W40 oil the same as a (cold) straight 10 grade oil. The second number means it has the same thickness as a *hot* 40 grade oil, rather than a hot 10 grade oil. Or in other words it gets thin more slowly.

To be fair, I rattle canned the 2CV's front wings in December 2016, and they're still ok! Fox might get a repaint, but I really don't want to have to paint the Favorit.

I'm already dreading the comments when the mop video goes live. Social media comments are already driving me nuts. "All you need to do is buy all of these things." "Don't do it in winter." 

I may have to finally concede that I really do need to tidy up the garage. I may also have to never ever polish a car in my life ever ever ever again. However, taking the wrong font number plates off does make my Skoda look brand new!

DwkiZmvWwAI955h.jpg

Got the mop out, but that was just demoralising in a quicker fashion than hand polishing. The finish is spectacularly awful, blotchy, revealing where the crap top coat of paint has vanished in places and generally, I think it looks worse than it did before. Well worth two days of effort!

I still need to wax it, then go back to my old methods of car cleaning - basically don't bother. 

I might as well throw it out. Could you try laquering a small corner of the boot or bonnet and see if that brings the redness back? To me it just looks like car basecoat that's had all the laquer peel off it. Then again looks can be deceiving and the paint really does look blotchy and pog of the weasled.

Have to say this is the reason I don't offer much advice from my rusty knowledge bank on jobs like this because it really is either don't do it at all, or you have to do it properly!

4 grades of pad, 4 grades of polish and a paint depth gauge and a weekend and you would have it looking mint.

But you would have to re-polish it (although only lightly) every month or so to keep it from not fading

Add in your iffy paint job...

It's why I've never actually fully machine polished a car, I just cant be bothered. I'm sure it would look lovely, but I'll never do it! I've got damage out before, and saved my stepdad from a bollocking from his fleet manager, and I did the bonnet of the puma which did look sick, but took all day...

Did I hear right that your using a rotary? Get some Autoglym super resin polish or ultra deep shine, and a spray bottle of water. Rotary the SRP in, it's very filler heavy and doesnt have much cut, so you can work it more. You'll need the water because it will dry to a horrible chalky mess, so when it starts to dry out a squirt of water on the panel, then run the pad over it will keep it going.

Then buff the SRP off, then find a glaze, my usual Poorboys Black Hole is my recommendation. Then a wax.

Then stand 7 paces back to admire it! Should only take a day. But in this weather? Pffft. Shame, because the 406 is looking utterly hanging!

As your finding out, it's either do it VERY properly, or just wash it!