Dollywobbler's Skoda Pogweasel Debadged One Heck of an Estate

dollywobbler

Well, I'm glad there's still some Favorit love on Autoshite, or I really would have wondered what the hell was going on. I'm still struggling to cope with a string of 'hilarious' jokes about why Skodas have a heated rear window. Yeah, cheers Jasper Carrott you unhilarious twat.

While the oil was notably absent earlier, the coolant is bob on the maximum, but I'll keep an eye on it for sure. A thin skim of mayo in the top of the oil filler cap, but then I'm aware that PSA petrols often do that when the weather is cold. However, the duff temp gauge means I don't really have an idea of whether the engine is actually getting up to temp or not. Out with the infrared thermometer when time allows.

The lacquer peel, if that's what it is, can be seen in the roof, on the flanks and the tailgate. Maybe it's just the top layer of paint. Who knows. Or maybe it's had a blowover at some point. 

Any recommendations for a machine polisher? I really can't be arsed scrubbing this bastard by hand. I do have some Autoglym Rapid Renovator that they once sent me by accident, so I'd plan to try that.

You try selling the buggers when the Skoda jokes were all the rage! Used to do my head in at first but thankfully the jokes soon died down when the VW influence took over. At one time the typical Skoda customer was one of the most loyal out there, these days the target audience is much different. Still glad that I did a good number of years for the brand and saw the Favorit/Felicia/Fabia line unfold in the showrooms.

As for a machine polisher, a good day with a DA machine and the right sort of compounds will see a marked improvement, drop me a PM if you need some more detailed advice (don't want to clutter the thread up)

Yay! Ignore the jokers, that's a fine car that should serve you well. I still think you're a bit mad selling the lovely wafty Rover in the middle of winter for that, but it's got to be worth £700 and I don't think you paid too much at all. Haven't seen a Favorit for years (apart from a fleeting glimpse of Yoss's as he zoomed past) but I like them and I did some writings about them - that was almost two years ago now, how time flies.

Naturally, I'm ignoring anything important to focus on fitting new wiper blades, and reviving the interior plastics. Guess which stalk benefits from a dose of Meguiar's Bumper and Vinyl gel?

DtlBx2uW4AId1Bg.jpg

To be honest, the indicator stalk is still quite badly faded, but the trim worked well on the window winders and interior door handles.

About 15 years ago a group of us drivers were passing the time in the office discussing what went wrong with our cars. When it was the turn of Ken, our resident Favorit driver to tell his tales of woe he went quiet. Put his pipe down, ummed for a minute and simply said light switch.

Well, I'm glad there's still some Favorit love on Autoshite, or I really would have wondered what the hell was going on. I'm still struggling to cope with a string of 'hilarious' jokes about why Skodas have a heated rear window. Yeah, cheers Jasper Carrott you unhilarious twat.

While the oil was notably absent earlier, the coolant is bob on the maximum, but I'll keep an eye on it for sure. A thin skim of mayo in the top of the oil filler cap, but then I'm aware that PSA petrols often do that when the weather is cold. However, the duff temp gauge means I don't really have an idea of whether the engine is actually getting up to temp or not. Out with the infrared thermometer when time allows.

The lacquer peel, if that's what it is, can be seen in the roof, on the flanks and the tailgate. Maybe it's just the top layer of paint. Who knows. Or maybe it's had a blowover at some point. 

Any recommendations for a machine polisher? I really can't be arsed scrubbing this bastard by hand. I do have some Autoglym Rapid Renovator that they once sent me by accident, so I'd plan to try that.

This is not bad for the money

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/4645777?cmpid=GS001&_$ja=tsid:59156|acid:444-797-0832|cid:189934405|agid:18074225845|tid:pla-161888518885|crid:77627770765|nw:g|rnd:8277962204219909230|dvc:c|adp:1o1|mt:|loc:9046938&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-qbf3sKG3wIVAUPTCh2SbgH8EAQYASABEgJLaPD_BwE

Favorits and the later Felicia are great little cars. Punted a few auction Favorits during my uni days, but housemate ran one of the estates for some time with no problems before flogging it on (I Think it was a GLXiE+). Was surprised at how modern it felt compared to the Estelle (another unfairly maligned car), certainly on a par with [most of] the mainstream competition from 1989/90 in its class, and leagues ahead of the other eastern bloc cars on offer at the time.

My Felicia dizzler was a really good little motor, it felt like a more refined version of the Favorit and I put 120k on in the five years I owned it. Skoda with the faintest whiff of VAG. Sadly it needed so much work for the next MoT my one went to the Mlada factory in the sky.

As I said in Faberge's thread if I had the money I'd have taken this on myself, I'm glad it's stayed within the beige.

In other news, it isn't cooking itself either. Temp gauge just below the red, this is the reality.

DtlfKnHXQAAqwRu.jpg

I'd gone for a hard four mile drive before that point, the heater was pumping heat out but actually top and bottom hoses were cool to the touch. So, I reckon the thermostat is possibly duff, which is entirely hidden by the duff temp gauge. A duff 'stat would account for the mayo build-up under the oil filler cap. I also saw sparking between the dizzy cap and the engine block, which explains the odd misfire I had on the test drive. A full selection of service items, HT leads, dizzy cap, 'stat and perhaps a rad fan switch (I eventually got the rad up to 93 degrees with no fan action, bridging contacts started the fan) to be ordered.

I polished one of these years ago, was a mates neighbor. The paint responded really well to a good clay, although it's the wrong time of year for that now!

Id be very VERY careful machine polishing it with a rotary too with no clear coat, you'll whip through the paint in no time! A dual action polisher is your friend here, it won't fix any damage but will buff it up, Mrs 6c's zx responded very well to it! Then glaze (I recommend Poorboys Black Hole) then 3 or 4 coats of wax (nattys blue here). The six_cylinders probably have a before and after of theirs, and I think it lasted a whole few months before it all needed doing again...

Do like these though, probably not suited to my motorway commute with hills though, and it seems their already priced above my means!

Pffffft MTFU

I did 130 miles a day in a 1.9D Felicia for six months no bother. As slow as a week in the jail but why rush to work?

Sherlodge garage in Wigmore and Whitehill garage Meopham were selling a lot of Skodas back in the mid nineties.

I remember when these first came out they had a problem of cutting out and loosing random electrical circuits only to recover after standing for a while.

Skoda quickly traced it back to dry/weak soldered joints on the back of the rather crude fuse board.

Far nicer car than the horrid Samara in my opinion.

a quick mooch seems to suggest fan switch runs at 93-98°

and may be fitted to more than brand of veehicule

Ah. I might have just been getting close then. Still, I'm relieved to know the fan does actually work.

Just had to nip out on a food mission. It's dark, pissing wet and the Skud was steamed up pretty badly. Didn't take long to clear, and the throughput of air is so good that you can turn the fan off once it's clear. Stays toasty warm and keeps the glass clear. Ideal!

Whitehill in Meopham is still going I believe. They have some beautiful 30's Skodas in their showroom.

They have sold all their old stuff. Their 50s 1200 was featured in Classics mag a while back with its new owner. They do however own a stretched Estelle (!). They also have an Octavia vRS  WRC special edition that they have "tastefully" restored....shame they didn't restore it to original and want half the price for it, I would have snapped it up myself. As it is they have had it for sale for literally years.

I test drove an Estelle 120LFive at Sherlodge when they were new. Decided I didn't like it and bought a Lada Riva from Wickham Motors in Canterbury Street if anyone remembers them. I loved the Lada but eventually had to scratch the Skoda itch...and haven't looked back.

I went to Colledge with two lads from Wickham Motor Co in the eighties (i was a G.Wells / Vauxhall apprentice) and recall they would come out with some right horror stories about Lada Niva build quality problems.

Went past the old WMC the other day and it looks like its been closed for years now

After watching your latest video, I'm now coming round to the idea of this car. Really impressed by the overall condition/fact that it is so solid and had so much work done to it. I think it will look great after a T-cut. Are you planning to fix the odometer?

Yes, I do plan to get the dash out and see what's what. It has clocked up one mile since collection, so looks like the usual Favorit/Felicia issue of the plastic gears just falling out of place and only occasionally meshing. I'm planning a quiet weekend, so, if the weather is dry, I'll get mopping. If it's shite, I'll pull the dashboard to bits instead.