Dollywobbler's Skoda Pogweasel Debadged One Heck of an Estate

dollywobbler

Aha, I've been waiting for this. Well done.

Mine goes rather well for what it is. The lighter hatchback body and a whopping 61hp from the carburettored 136 engine. Percentagewise 61 is quite a lot more than 54. I can only imagine what a 67bhp one is like.

Many likes.

Most importantly... How is the clock?

Oh the clock! how could I forget!

dollywobblers reaction to the Tesla branded clock made me grin no end 

because Tesla was a major lightbulb manufacture in Czechoslovakia  :mrgreen:

they made many interesting lightbulbs, sadly I dont have any examples in my collection but I do hope to get some at some point :)

heres an example of a very interesting Tesla lightbulb https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-143471 (I hope you did well in chemistry!)

There is a slight clunk from the front end that I need to investigate. I thought it might be an ARB drop link, but then discovered it doesn't have anti-roll bars! That explains why the doorhandles were in danger. I would like to sort the gauges out as well. Temp overreads, fuel just doesn't update and odo doesn't work.

Possibly lower arm ball joint, replacements bolt on unless you do the whole arm, require the rivets drilling out.

Changed one on a Felicia the other day. I opted for just doing the ball joints as a mate had told me he previously had issues with the lower arm rear bush mount captive nut spinning within the chassis leg/floor on his felicia. So I left well alone.

This is an ace little car. I had a drive of it a few weeks ago.

I hope it isn't pending HGF on this.

Cannabis smell. They want to drive round this way, if you can't smell weed from a car then the car belongs to a nun, priest or me. The stench whilst driving locally is pretty bloody bad. Nice of them to flash the blues for a piccie though :)

HG issues are well, well within DW's ability to sort at home so long as the head is flat.

Even I managed to get the head off in less than an hour on this engine.  Probably easier in the Favorit as the engine is more accessible.

The only thing that's liable to be a pain would be separating the manifold to downpipe joint depending on what type of joint it is.

I had an enjoyable spell in a Favorit Lxe that I bought as a stopgap car at auction in the early noughties. It didn't endear itself to my ex missus when the alternator packed in returning from her birthday meal one year.... but other than that and a slightly rattly timing chain it was a reliable and fun steer. Personally I did find the steering heavy compared to the 205 I was also using at the time, but it was perfectly livable with.

Regarding the Police incident.. I would check to see if the car has got a previous Police mark on it. 10 years back I bought a vandal damaged 306 from a salvage yard. I repaired the car but was constantly being stopped by the Cops for no real reason especially at dusk or later. I did some digging and low and behold I found out it had a police mark on it from its shady former life. It might just be the case with the Skoda in a distant past ownership.

Mine goes rather well for what it is. The lighter hatchback body and a whopping 61hp from the carburettored 136 engine. Percentagewise 61 is quite a lot more than 54. I can only imagine what a 67bhp one is like.

The 67 is pretty nippy 0-30mph for sure.

I've moaned about the steering too, it's ok really, just doesn't reflect the otherwise 'light' feeling of the car. It's fine in most situations, but parallel parking on a busy road in a small place is a bit of a chore.

Here's another photo of it looking good on steelies.

DtevfVuXgAEEscE.jpg

I did note that several people refused to be overtaken by a Skoda on the M6. Darkness fell and made life much easier!

Yep, I get that regularly with the Lada too.

What really bugs me is when they refuse to be overtaken, yet as soon as I slot back in behind them, they slow right down again...WHY?!?

Looks like that should scrub up a treat.

A mate has a mechanically gr8 but cosmetically grim 1.9SDI Diesel Felatio estate. About a 2002, I think. White, not MOT'd or anything.

I think £150 would buy it. The engine and box are worth that alone.

Re; overheating problems on that Skoda OHV mill; another mate has a 2002 Estate with that engine and the electric fans and fan switches are shite. I bodged* his so the fan comes on with the ignition and it was fine after that. IIRC they have an alloy block but an iron head. Correct?

Re; overheating problems on that Skoda OHV mill; another mate has a 2002 Estate with that engine and the electric fans and fan switches are shite. I bodged* his so the fan comes on with the ignition and it was fine after that. IIRC they have an alloy block but an iron head. Correct?

I believe the engines used in everything post Estelle were 135/6 based, so have the alloy head.

Probably makes them far easier to manhandle out of the car as the layout of the Estelle engine makes it very determined to tip itself upside down.  A feature I'm so well familiar with courtesy of clutch release bearings made of cheese.

Ally top and bottom.

Regarding the fan switch, they fail alot and come on at 96° iirc.

Mother-rews Felicia overheated in airport traffic due to the fan being seized due to lack of use (short journey car)

So I fitted a ford Granada fan switch that kicks the fan in around 85°, keeping the fan unseized and helping to keep the temp down.

Ah. Just checked the oil and the dipstick was bone dry! A litre of oil has it back up to the top mark. Oops. I should have done a better job of checking the level when I bought it - I just looked, saw some oil and didn't bother doing a wipe and recheck...

typical motoring journo- no mechanical sympathy!  :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

The engine is indeed all ally and physically tiny as I'm sure DW will confirm soon with a nice picture of the engine bay. Lovely spacious engine bay.

The 1.6 Felicia is an iron block and ally head because VAGshite. Which is why anti roll bars are considered a necessity though as I think you've discovered they would be useful on the Fav too. I think the ARB would go straight on the Fav though you'd have to drill mounting holes. Ideally find a scrap 1.6 Felly and swap over the complete front suspension subframe. It's something I keep thinking about but 1.6 (or diesel because also iron VAGshite) are also pretty rare now.

There is a Favorit at the Skoda museum (I've only seen pictures, I haven't been there yet) with Skoda's own design of all alloy 1.6 OHC with 101bhp. That really would have made a difference in a car that size. But VW wouldn't let them use it presumably because they had a big pile of their own inferior engines that they needed shifting. Shame.

This thread is oozing like a boil with WIN! I love the fact that a couple of weekends fettling, some rust proofing and a good hit with the machine polisher will see a huge turnaround. It'll certainly get more "Not seen one of those for a while" conversations going than the Rover ever would.

I sold these when they were new, had a loyal following of aging ex Estelle owners who used to get all excited about the Flairline trimmings, they were most put off by the Felicia even though that was not much more than a reskinned Favorit but by god they hated the Fabia!

We were retailing nice used ones off the main agent used pitch as late as 2004 and they'd always sell fast

I'm not sure a machine polish will suddenly have it looking factory fresh. There is evidence of lacquer peel.

Also found out it's had a bump at one point, possibly with a new offside sill fitted. There's some very tardy masking on the rear offside door shut, and the bottom half of both offside doors is actually still bright red.