Crappest engine ever

Lanciaman

Interested to see what we get from this. Not crappest as in the usual shitefest of unreliable so much as crappy all round. May I nominate the Land Rover 2 and a quarter litre petrol. Rough. Unrefined. Fuck all power and barely 15mpg. Utter shite

• Like 2

Every series LR I've driven in good fettle has had a very smooth engine?

As for shit engines, the french lump of wank in Volvo 340 1.4s, utterly useless, drunk like a fish & bent pushrods at idle for no reason. I enjoyed scrapping that car, it deserved it.

• Like 2

How dare someone duplicate a thread no-one's commented on for nearly a decade!

Keep your wig on. I was merely pointing out there were more suggestions on another thread, to link in with this one.

Has someone had a bad day?

• Like 2

Any Pre-War car tied to the RAC horsepower formula - ie Morris 8, Austin 10. They are so long stroke its like driving a sewing machine (in a bad way). Others will disagree... but both busy and gutless. Terrible.

How dare someone duplicate a thread no-one's commented on for nearly a decade!

It's strange how my life was very different when I contributed to that thread. 

And was also a factor in Citroen's demise as an independent manufacturer. Only Mazda can make a rotary without going bust it seems and even they have been touch and go a few times.

I had some really good service out of a 1.8 CVH, wasn’t bad on fuel, went ok, piss easy to work on, parts were pennies and you could fix it at the roadside. Granted it was a bit coarse when you revved it but it wasn’t a bad unit at all. Needless to say they got a bad rep when people neglected them. The one I had had done over 213k when it bit the dust.

• Like 1

And was also a factor in Citroen's demise as an independent manufacturer. Only Mazda can make a rotary without going bust it seems and even they have been touch and go a few times.

If the Japanese can't perfect it then I wonder how the Russian versions in the 80s did, especially when Lada made a birotor. And stuck it into a Samara.

NSU Wankel surely? So bad it bankrupted it’s manufacturer.

That and the Ford V4 people used to replace it with

Gets my vote, the Wanker of an engine. Technically good but practically very shite, failed faster than an early K Series Head Gasket on a hot summers day.

Prolly not the worst ever but I got pretty quick at fitting exchange heads onto BMW M42 engines. They had an extremely low 'abuse threshold', I fitted an exchange head supplied by a customer once and I could see where it had already been welded and repaired. As Daz the apprentice warmed it up we heard a loud cracking noise, time for another head then...

In a broadly similar vein, the 2.2 diesel fitted to Toyota Estima and Lucida imports, around the 90's. It wasn't very powerful, was very thirsty and they ate heads for a living, there used to be a guy called Bob on the Estima forum who made a living traveling the country fixing them. He was huge but would scrabble about on your drive and have a replacement head fitted in about 4 hours.

There was a similar thread recently, I remember nominating the Honda CB250 Superdream engine because of its mega-crap camchain tensioner blade design.

All the weight of a 400, all the power of a 125....smooth though I remember.

I made a special tool to tension up the cam chains on the 100/ 125/ 185 range as the spring adjustment never really worked unless you got the sequence absolutely correct and were lucky, i used to fit a new chain as a matter of course anyway for what they used to cost me - £4+vat from memory. Always made them sound better.

Those GM (USA) diesel engines ...

Didn't they just bolt a diesel head on to a petrol block?

Landrover did the same, change the pistons, fit a diesel head and the injection pump in place of the dizzy and you have a 2&1/4 diesel.....

I guess we could also put forward the Tiumph Stag v8. Rubbish bhp and inherent faults. Rover v8 as in the p6 and sd1 pretty rubbish for power as well, efi aside. Torque nice tho by all accounts