Picasso 2.0HDI eml light. Help Needed

Tigerfox

First post really but i need to pick the brains of you lot regarding the EML light.

Its been on 8/9 years and passed every mot and the code reader always says Egr fault. It has had a new egr valve , vacuum pipes and the electric valve over the years and none of it has made the difference. Dont know what else to do. Delete codes and it comes back on within 2 or 3 starts.

I know its a picasso and I am going to some witty answers but the reason I need to fix  it is that when Tigerfox Snr (he is 93) requests a ride out it is the only car suitable. Also use it as a van for tip runs etc so dont want to scrap it.

Mot runs out in March and will fail and yes the sills are buggered

Awaits replies with interest !

EML on the Cit is often down to a borked EGR ( and its a pain on the HDi to delete it and keep the light off - I mean, deleting the EGR is fine, but trying to keep the light off is near impossible even with the Lexia) Your HDi will have a cat on the exhaust - this can sometimes throw codes up but is easier to delete and keep the light off than the EGR. Worth thinking about if you want to free up a couple of ponies and if the exhaust ever needs replacing.

Feel for me - the C8 has two cats on the exhaust and a unique system that is NLA from Citroen or pretty much anywhere now. My mate had to custom make his when pikeys nabbed the cats.

If the car is running fine then I'd be inclined to pull the EML bulb out and forget it. Both codes relate to reduced re circulatory gas flow. You could try seafoam to see if the pipework is clogged, but Id be "meh" about it TBH.

Could be the airflow meter.That's what the ECU will use to measure airflow and if it's not what's expected then an egr fault could be flagged up.Although I wouldn't have thought these were sensitive enough for that.Maybe also the ECU.Also see if the turbo pipes are gunked up,that could affect the airflow reading.Is it a Bosch or Siemens ECU?

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the suggestions. Fault now identified so i thought I should share with you.

Electric vacuum valve was in op and was replaced. The glow plug relay was also leaving a fault code on odd occasions and was masked by the egr. Strange i know. Opening the door on a lot of cars wakes the the glow plug circuit an speaks to the ecu to expect some action.

EML has been off been off a couple of weeks so perhaps just a running in fault as its only at 173k