LightBulbFun's Invacar & general ramble thread, index on page 1, survivors lists on Pages 24/134 & AdgeCutler's Invacar Mk12 Restoration from Page 186 onwards, still harping on...

LightBulbFun

2 hours ago, Mrs6C said:

a shot to recreate with our own one someday perhaps? :) at a quiet moment, pull in onto the pavement, grab the shot then scarper in the harper leaving behind nothing but the lingering smell of 2T :mrgreen:

speaking of the Villiers machines, this very interesting photo cropped up on facebook the other day, sadly no text/context behind it despite me asking

445777181_414842344806133_1490923088335398992_n.png.a74eebeb2f7834a043747089bbab944e.png

whats fascinating about it, besides the fact that its a Private AC Acedes, is that number plate, because unless someones hacked part of it off for some reason, thats not a British plate, but it is of a British Stylee, I know that a few countries with British influance while they dont use the same system we do, they use the same/similar size of digits etc, but the question then is, where was this then? I am not sure I have ever seen a foreign Acedes before now so its most interesting :) (although there is a french film on the IMCDB, where in one of the scenes there is an Acedes in the background!)

3 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

speaking of the Villiers machines, this very interesting photo cropped up on facebook the other day, sadly no text/context behind it despite me asking445777181_414842344806133_1490923088335398992_n.png.a74eebeb2f7834a043747089bbab944e.png

whats fascinating about it, besides the fact that its a Private AC Acedes, is that number plate, because unless someones hacked part of it off for some reason, thats not a British plate, but it is of a British Stylee, I know that a few countries with British influance while they dont use the same system we do, they use the same/similar size of digits etc, but the question then is, where was this then? I am not sure I have ever seen a foreign Acedes before now so its most interesting :) (although there is a french film on the IMCDB, where in one of the scenes there is an Acedes in the background!)

Cyprus?

5 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

speaking of the Villiers machines, this very interesting photo cropped up on facebook the other day, sadly no text/context behind it despite me asking445777181_414842344806133_1490923088335398992_n.png.a74eebeb2f7834a043747089bbab944e.png

I was wondering about maybe Malta?

• Like 2

It does look like warmer climes and driving on the left, so Malta and Cyprus likely candidates. 

Looks like a developed country, so probably not India or Sri Lanka.

A quick look on Flickr brings up cars in Cyprus of this era with similar style number plates and registrations in the two letter three number format.  Old Maltese plates seem to have three letters.

• Like 2

very interesting! I wonder what its story is, I noticed in the picture there looks to be a square boxy car in the distance so its possibly taken in the 1980's? would of been fairly old by then and certainly does look run down, I have to wonder what happened to it, is it still stashed away somewhere? and I wonder how they got it serviced/parts etc! @eddyramrod I understand you lived in Cyprus for a time, you would not happen to know what sort time period that registration plate was issued? I can tell its an Acedes Mk10 or later so its 1964 or newer, and Metal Acedes production ended in volume in the middle of 1967 (although carried on on a special case by case basis until 1971)

1 hour ago, LightBulbFun said:

@eddyramrod I understand you lived in Cyprus for a time, you would not happen to know what sort time period that registration plate was issued?

You understand correctly sir! :)  That number plate would have been issued in the late 70s.  My Capri was registered in 1978 as JV 481, so we're probably looking at 75-77 for the Acedes.  I agree about the boxy car too, I think it's most likely a Datsun or Toyota from the mid-80s.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, eddyramrod said:

You understand correctly sir! :)  That number plate would have been issued in the late 70s.  My Capri was registered in 1978 as JV 481, so we're probably looking at 75-77 for the Acedes.  I agree about the boxy car too, I think it's most likely a Datsun or Toyota from the mid-80s.

Awesome thank you for the additional info thats exactly what I was hoping for :) , its very interesting to hear its likely from 75-77, do you recall how the registration system in Cyprus work back then, was it like the British system where a plate stayed on a car for life/went with the car, or did the registration mark change with the owner/over time etc? ie would the later plate indicate then that this might be a used import, that someone imported from the UK in 1975-77?

36 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

That's exactly how it works, yes. would the later plate indicate then that this might be a used import, that someone imported from the UK in 1975-77?

That's exactly how it works, yes.  There's no geographical element, except for the Greek/Turkish split, so numbers are issued strictly in sequence and stay with the car.  There's also no number-plate trading.  However: in this century they've started offering "A" plates for classic cars, especially if imported, so you might see three 1971 Minis, for example, wearing FTxxx, from 1971; KSZxxx from 2008 and xxxxA from 2023.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, eddyramrod said:

I agree about the boxy car too, I think it's most likely a Datsun or Toyota from the mid-80s.

I thought BMW E30.

1 hour ago, Six-cylinder said:

At the risk of being branded a 3 wheeler lover, I guess you have seen this one on FB reposted today.

445074189_10229196500409002_4963361528885804866_n.jpg

Oh a Double Decker.

That one I had heard of,and I believe was one of the ones still in storage at head office into the nineties,was made for someone who couldn't bend their back or something,so drove standing up.

18 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

At the risk of being branded a 3 wheeler lover, I guess you have seen this one on FB reposted today.

445074189_10229196500409002_4963361528885804866_n.jpg

I have seen it before but it is always nice to see again given its special nature, and always appreciate the heads up just incase :) 

15 hours ago, plasticvandan said:

That one I had heard of,and I believe was one of the ones still in storage at head office into the nineties,was made for someone who couldn't bend their back or something,so drove standing up.

they actually made at least a couple of these, I did a bit of a small writeup on them here

On 19/04/2022 at 19:29, LightBulbFun said:

I had not actually! but thats an awesome find! its the first picture I have seen of 897PE outside of this snippet 

image.png

is what I was going to say, but while digging up the original image source 

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/shoppers-make-their-way-towards-the-new-market-and-shopping-news-photo/1331106410

and look at the photo in detail

gettyimages-1331106410-2048x2048.thumb.jpeg.61ffb5ab7397e83e15abaef7ed0630c2.jpeg

image.png.5590a00e2b127610d194c8b79b6d2616.png

I noticed that it has Indicators front and aft, indicating that it is an AC Acedes Mk10, not an Acedes Mk9 that 897PE is

so Im wondering, did they make more then 1 of these standing carriages or what gives!

I know Stuart mentioned that 897PE, survived until a surprsingly long time in the Heywood stores, until Julians shenanigans sadly meant it got scrapped

but I now wonder was this actually 897PE that was seen at Heywood, or did stuart see an AC Acedes like 897PE and simply assume that it was 897PE not realising that they may have made more than one?

I was wondering if this was perhaps 897PE, retrofitted with later lighting, but I dont see any witness marks on the rear wing where the teddybear indicators would of been

it also has a different style of hood to 897PE which as a 1 pice rear screen, where as this one has it in 2 parts, and i almost wonder if its even taller then 897PE, it looks it to me but its hard to tell for sure

all in all thats a very fascinating find and thank you for letting me know about it! :) 

54 minutes ago, Vimesy said:

Just found this on the Edinburgh Evening News photo archive, from February 1969.

BB1kqJkU.jpg

oh very cool, not one I have seen before now I dont think? do you have a direct link to it? thats an Invacar Mk12D and going by date provided, it would of been only about a year old max at the time :) 

5 hours ago, Vimesy said:

One link here - Edinburgh retro: 25 great pictures of the Capital's roads, cars and traffic in the 1950s and 1960s (msn.com)

It's the last photo in the group, I hope that's what you're looking for.

thats perfect, nice and high resolution! can even see the anguish and despair in the unfortunate persons face LOL

image.png.17c520ba05e61208376624b8978279cd.png

(I also realised the Mk12 has its lights on, not that they seem to be much good with all that snow!)

• Like 2

I have searched this thread for "Notting Hill" Hill and Notting. The results have not shown this image.

nottinghill.jpg.8382d0c45ec74abedb21385cabfe520d.jpg

However, I expect it has been posted before.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Remspoor said:

I have searched this thread for "Notting Hill" Hill and Notting. The results have not shown this image.

not in this thread per-say I dont think so, but  @Dick Longbridge posted it in the one shite picture per post thread, and in the version he posted I was able to just about make out the registration mark of the Morris enough that I was able to figure out its registration mark where it astonishingly appears to still seemingly be about somewhere :)  

https://autoshite.com/topic/7706-one-shite-picture-per-post/page/899/#comment-2652567

screencapture-vehicleenquiry-service-gov-uk-VehicleFound-2022-11-26-02_35_58.png

• Like 3

9 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

not in this thread per-say I dont think so, but  @Dick Longbridge posted it in the one shite picture per post thread, and in the version he posted I was able to just about make out the registration mark of the Morris enough that I was able to figure out its registration mark where it astonishingly appears to still seemingly be about somewhere :)  

https://autoshite.com/topic/7706-one-shite-picture-per-post/page/899/#comment-2652567

screencapture-vehicleenquiry-service-gov-uk-VehicleFound-2022-11-26-02_35_58.png

You mean someone posted on an unrelated thread. What is the interwebs coming too? 😆

On 29/05/2024 at 20:31, Remspoor said:

May be a very very famous film location...

in completely Random news this Nissan Almera appeared in the dead end maybe a week or 2 ago? and then in the last couple days its ended up covered completely in blank post it notes

IMG_1058.jpeg.d7672af2a7f955a1bd3cb2b1a130fbf1.jpeg

IMG_1059E.jpeg.06b47beeb96f22cda980f395a7450e16.jpeg

IMG_1060.jpeg.7f9621324fcb7313cb7ad45de497b7cd.jpeg

IMG_1061.jpeg.64f9c5a78f860208566ae4a1c56cb5ce.jpeg

I have no idea! my only clue is all the tyres on the Nissian are flat, so maybe it was some sort of angered spouse thing?

38 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

my only clue is all the tyres on the Nissian are flat, so maybe it was some sort of angered spouse thing?

Never piss off the girl who looks after the stationery cupboard.

There's probably a couple of red ballpoint pens up the exhaust too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

in completely Random news this Nissan Almera appeared in the dead end maybe a week or 2 ago? and then in the last couple days its ended up covered completely in blank post it notes

IMG_1058.jpeg.d7672af2a7f955a1bd3cb2b1a130fbf1.jpeg

IMG_1059E.jpeg.06b47beeb96f22cda980f395a7450e16.jpeg

IMG_1060.jpeg.7f9621324fcb7313cb7ad45de497b7cd.jpeg

IMG_1061.jpeg.64f9c5a78f860208566ae4a1c56cb5ce.jpeg

I have no idea! my only clue is all the tyres on the Nissian are flat, so maybe it was some sort of angered spouse thing?

Where's the Rover gone?

1 minute ago, Dobloseven said:

Where's the Rover gone?

I was wondering if anyone would twig that :) it actually disappeared not long after REV left for @red5, it must of been upset that its stable mate had gone! but on a more serious note, I am told its gone off for some well deserved TLC, I was very worried that it had been sold or the such like and I was to never see it again/know what happened to it, but thankfully thats not the case thus far, I have been looking out the window daily to see if its returned (which is how I spotted the sticker-bombed Nissan LOL) but its not shown up again thus far, I have often been thinking/wondering who will be finished/return first, the SD1 or REV!

as aside on all that, in this particular case Kinda glad REV is however hundred miles away with @Saabnut right now, I wonder if she would of also gotten sticker bombed! at least its harder to let the air out of a 3 wheeler, that front wheel is not exactly something you can casually get to, especially if parked bumper to bumper with another car :mrgreen:

• Like 2