What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

16 minutes ago, nev_jr said:

They’re not, we got very lucky here. If they went 72 hours undetected in there they can stay in there for up to two years

That's absolutely fucking ridiculous, if you'll pardon my french.

3 hours ago, cobblers said:

That's absolutely fucking ridiculous, if you'll pardon my french.

I thought that French was very good

2 hours ago, Nyphur said:

What country is that?

Spain, but more specifically Lanzarote 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dome said:

Clearing out some stuff and found my parents car history.

IMG20240131180544.thumb.jpg.e7d132834fd12b6db419fa4d339f614c.jpg 

Wigtownshire (I miss-typed that as WigtownShite)??
My dad had OOS393N and the target of my affections back then - her dad had OOS200N
Leyland dealer was McHarries down near the harbour - became Willie Lows then Tescos.  I think Citroen would have been Newton Stewart or maybe up in Girvan/Ayr.

A 1975 Allegro for £1881 works out to just under £14,000 today (https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/monetary-policy/inflation/inflation-calculator) - boggling

16 hours ago, EyesWeldedShut said:

Wigtownshire (I miss-typed that as WigtownShite)??
My dad had OOS393N and the target of my affections back then - her dad had OOS200N
Leyland dealer was McHarries down near the harbour - became Willie Lows then Tescos.  I think Citroen would have been Newton Stewart or maybe up in Girvan/Ayr.

A 1975 Allegro for £1881 works out to just under £14,000 today (https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/monetary-policy/inflation/inflation-calculator) - boggling

Yep, I remember the Maestros coming from West End Garage in Stranraer and the ZX ( which I had a minor altercation with whilst exploring the boundaries of adhesion, but that's not important right now) came from Mossgiel in Ayr. I tried and nearly got them to go for a BX St Tropez but they went for the ZX instead. I'm too young(!) to remember the Allegro's sadly

8 hours ago, wuvvum said:

There's a whole lot of OS in that list.

We had lots of OS.
image.png.a4ed1887db198050a0bdd77c4bfe8dd4.png

OOOO yes. My first Range Rover which I bought down in that there Engle-land (Northants) was A382WOS. Sure enough, my dad 'knew' the car when it was new and running around back home - smol place is Wigtownshire.
There was a lot of dealer/brand allegiance too. My Dad stuck with Triumph for a fair time, had one Talbot, then Skoda forever - ditto the neighbours. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, paulplom said:

Could be a repeat but we've all been there.

Yep , 5 litre sump and a 4 litre oil catcher !! 

I had two sump plugs when I was doing regular oil changes on my Volvo, because I was forever dropping the one I was unscrewing into the oil catch pan. I would use the second one on the car and then retrieve the dropped one when I poured the waste oil into the recycling unit at out local filling station.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Rustybullethole said:

My all time best was a very smug clean change closely followed by kicking the washing up bowl over with all the waste oil in. Idiot. 

Everyone will do that once. 

Maybe twice, once while living at your olds, using a fragile old washing up bowl whose indented handles snap off under the weight of iron-filings laden 10/40 from a Mk2 Capri, then again a few years later using an old metal Castrol GTX tin, that someone may have forgotten to screw the cap back on, all over the 6 month laid driveway.

My friends* eh?

14 hours ago, Rustybullethole said:

My all time best was a very smug clean change closely followed by kicking the washing up bowl over with all the waste oil in. Idiot. 

The best one I saw was an apprentice used to working on transit vans asked to change the oil on a Volvo artic tractor unit  a customer had just bought 

It wouldn't go in the garage so he did it on the forecourt on his back, took the sump plug out then found out there's a lot of oil in there, a lot more than the container, he tried to get the plug back in but it was like trying to plug a river 

He came out absolutely black with gallons of oil running down the hill in front of the workshop 

It was the days before phones had cameras unfortunately 

My 2 year and one month old Evolution sliding mitre saw packed up (2 year guarantee), as it was out of warranty I took it appart thinking it might be something simple like a switch, but Ifound the wiring on the staor was rubbing on the rotor and had worn through because the protective cover was instaled in the wrong place, I took pictures of it all and wrote to the customer services, don't think they even looked at the pictures and told me if I sent it to them at my expense they would look at it and repair it but I may well be charged and then closed the case, given it weighs best part of 15kg and is very difficult to package and I had no intention of giving them a blank Cheque  I resigned myself to buying  new stator at £60. 

My wife said hold on and put a stinking review on trust pilot describing that  poor build quality had casued the issue etc and lo and behold a couple of days later  they had a "management review" of my case and have sent me the new stator which now has the plastic wiring covers firmly glued in FOC!  15 minutes to put it all back together and it's all back up and running.

17 hours ago, Rustybullethole said:

Usually I just collect the entire contents of the sump in my armpit

1 hour ago, kevins said:

My 2 year and one month old Evolution sliding mitre saw packed up (2 year guarantee), as it was out of warranty I took it appart thinking it might be something simple like a switch, but Ifound the wiring on the staor was rubbing on the rotor and had worn through because the protective cover was instaled in the wrong place, I took pictures of it all and wrote to the customer services, don't think they even looked at the pictures and told me if I sent it to them at my expense they would look at it and repair it but I may well be charged and then closed the case, given it weighs best part of 15kg and is very difficult to package and I had no intention of giving them a blank Cheque  I resigned myself to buying  new stator at £60. 

My wife said hold on and put a stinking review on trust pilot describing that  poor build quality had casued the issue etc and lo and behold a couple of days later  they had a "management review" of my case and have sent me the new stator which now has the plastic wiring covers firmly glued in FOC!  15 minutes to put it all back together and it's all back up and running.

I have a pair of in-ear bluetooth earphones, Melomania Cambridge. They're fine, not going to blow you away, but they were reasonably priced and are more than adequate for what I need them for. A couple of years after I bought them, well out of warranty, one of the metal rings around the right earphone came loose. This meant it wouldn't fit in the case properly and wouldn't charge.

So I looked online for a guide how to take them apart and there wasn't one. I started looking at doing it myself, but when I went to remove the ring it felt like there was a wire or something. Not wanting to wreck it I emailed them asking how the ring was attached and how I could re-attach it. They sent me out a new pair and said to keep/recycle the old ones. Free of charge. Arrived two days after I contacted them.

They're an old product, so maybe they just had loads of stock left, but I thought it was great service. Anyway, knowing I had a spare pair I took the ring off and it was a tiny bit of glue juuuust holding on. Once it was off it was clear I could just re-fit the ring and turn it about 30 degrees to lock it in place, so dabbed a bit of glue on it, re-fitted it and they're good as new.

If I need another pair, or anything similar I'll check what they've got on offer first. It pays to look after your customers.

Just now, MikeR said:

just no way , watching TED ( film ) and they crash the 240 estate and the back bumper falls off ....

just no way .

Awww c'mon - how many movies do more than that? Wheels fall off, doors leave the area (OK so Charlie Croker set a precedent there)?
It's all part of the fun* of growing old - trust me, I'm in my sixties now and still writing to Barry Took**

Only kidding - movie tropes are what they are - more and more laughable as time goes by tbh.

** Google it here for you young folks

• Haha 2

Just been looking at Google street view images of my old school to see what's changed.  And I found one thing which hasn't changed at all.

LandRover.thumb.jpg.e8f98e3f8a07e4c2ce756dbc83e32751.jpg

This fucking Land Rover used to park outside the school when I was there over 30 years ago.  In fact it doesn't look like it's moved much since then.  Absolutely fantastic!

On 31/01/2024 at 10:07, nev_jr said:

They’re not, we got very lucky here. If they went 72 hours undetected in there they can stay in there for up to two years

Got to ask Nev. Who sets the clock? 

11 minutes ago, Matty said:

Got to ask Nev. Who sets the clock? 

It’s a gray area and thus a pain in the arse. Luckily a girl across the street checks regularly for us and when they got in was two days after her most recent check. So as I say, very very lucky this time. 

Also as it turns out they’re a Colombian couple who were renting it off of Moroccans??? So so confused and fed up with Spanish law at this point.