The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

The 2CVs MOT expires a week today. I'm currently trying to drive the 2CV every day. The weather is helping!

However, the bodywork really is only just hanging on in places. The offside rear wing is held on with gaffer tape and I'm amazed that the headlamp bar hasn't just fallen apart. There's still a part of me thinking I should sell her on for spares and buy something else - a Dyane perhaps or that dream Ami 6. I'm also being forced to realise that my days of daily A-Series use may be drawing to a close. Whether I buy another or get her restored (again), I fear I may end up going down the 'high days and holidays' route just to try and keep corrosion at bay.

Have they ever provided the right parts first time out??

They managed to get me a Bosch coil pack and a set of Bosch HT leads for a Renault 19 and the king lead for the plugs didn't fit the coil. I was quite stunned by that, but I don't quite know why.

Have they ever provided the right parts first time out??

I've bought a lot of stuff down the years and the only time it was wrong was a water pump for a 2.4 JTD Alfa which no-one could identify correctly from the reg, gawd knows what it was registered as.

I've reserved parts online at ECP and went to collect them, when I've turned up they're either not in stock or the wrong part.

Our local ECP replaced a unipart which was comparitively much better, I refuse to use ECP now and go down the road to the local TMS - which I've found to be far better both in parts accuracy and customer service.

Seeing as it hit the local newspaper today, I can tell you all.

Next month Jon of this parish is to take part in the 2015 firefighters Sky Tower Challenge. 51 flights and 1103 stairs in full gear with 25 kg of firefighting gear. Time to aim for is 16 minutes. The aim is to raise money for charity.

The best of good luck Jon, and given your current circumstances,how's the training going ?

I bought brake pads for the V70 at ECP last week. I wanted the little square pads Volvo have been using since the 70s but it turns out the car is from the year they finally changed. They didn't tell me there was a choice, just gave me the wrong kind.

I wonder if there is some kind of target culture that makes supplying wrong parts preferable to just admitting they don't have the right ones.

I wonder if there is some kind of target culture that makes supplying wrong parts preferable to just admitting they don't have the right ones.

Or possibly just a culture that means they don't give a shit because they're on minimum wage and going to be famous on the internet any day now.

Flat battery today on the peugeot 405. left the lights on because there was no courtesy switch.

stole the one from the rear passenger side and fitted that instead, now I have warning buzzer working.

Also remove thermostat so that I can see if it affects the cars running heat.

Omega breezed it's MOT today so now has a full 13 months and a completely clean sheet. That is the expectation of one of my meticulously maintained* motors though.

Has a chuckle checking the MOT sheet mind, in 2012 it had 72k on the clock, 2013 t had 182k and last year 90k. I think we had an over eager MOT tester kicking about in 2013.

Now just to decide whether to sell it or keep hold of it...

I've just fitted a new trunnion to Mrs_Seth's Herald.

_mg_9559.jpg

I seem to think someone on here was only recently made aware that this was a real component.  What they may not have yet learnt is that to do this job on a Triumph means having to loosen the paffawafa, take the oujapiddlypush off and gently bend the jimbob out of the way.

...to do this job on a Triumph means having to loosen the paffawafa, take the oujapiddlypush off and gently bend the jimbob out of the way.

Is your Harold an early one with the single doobrey, or the 1965 upgrade with twin contra-rotating throstle sprockets?

Finally got off my arse today and took the V5 for my Capri down to the post office to change tax class to historic vehicle.

Easy! Filled in section 7 with the new class, sign and date. The cashier just scanned the barcode and sent it off to DVLA. They didn't even check my mot or insurance. I now have another tax exempt 'classic'. Must be one of the first mk2 Capri's to get to tax exempt. Little wait for the next two cars though.

Couldn't believe how easy it was. I normally expect a right long winded load of bollocks when doing anything involving the DVLA!

A friend of mine has bought his first car, having recently passed his driving test.  A 2011 Chevrolet Aveo strikes me as quite a sensible first car for tootling around Sheffield and exploring the countryside of Yorkshire.  All I know about Aveos is that they're basic, quite heavily styled but fundamentally reliable.  Are they a relative to the Daewoo Matiz, as the Spark was?

It's the same as a Daewoo Matiz - although GM is phasing out the Daewoo name (in favour of Chevrolet), even in Korea.  

The rear suspension structure on them looks only a little bit stronger than that of a bicycle.  

Not very often I get totally stumped, but today is the day!

Recovered my mates Mondeo at lunchtime, I fitted some new brake pipes the other week to get him through his MOT. Fully bled the brakes as his pedal was spongy before this anyway and all was okay. I did pick up on scored front discs and rear pads wearing thin also so parts were ordered and plan was to get these done.

He rang me today, pedal has gone spongy again and gave him a bit of a shock approaching a roundabout. I recovered the car and then I chucked the discs and pads on and re bled the system and it's still spongy as fuck (pressure bled it as well three times and there is no air at all in there).

Rechecked the brake pipes I had done and they were fine, checked all others. Checked the brake flexi's and master cylinder, doesn't appear to be any problems.

I'm going to have the calipers off this evening and give them a bit of an overhaul, but otherwise I'm a bit stumped.

To re-cap it's had new front discs and pads, rear brake pads and front to rear brake pipes both sides. There's no air in the system and no visible leaks anywhere in the system that I can see...

Looks like one of the suppliers (either ECP or Car Spares) have fucked the order for my Merc in all, they delivered the wrong waterpump surprise surprise, hence being without a car again. This always seems to happen to my carx, they take a break from me for small while.

Anyway, today I did something I haven't done for years, I walked to the Job Centre. It takes about half an hour or so. It was a regular journey for me back in the day, I'm hoping this will be the one-off.

Not very often I get totally stumped, but today is the day!

To re-cap it's had new front discs and pads, rear brake pads and front to rear brake pipes both sides. There's no air in the system and no visible leaks anywhere in the system that I can see...

Didn't someone have a problem a bit like this where it turned out the pedal box was moving around because the mounting had rusted?

Was that a Vauxhall by any chance?

I will have a look at the pedal box too. The pedal

Is rock hard when the engine is off but as soon as it's started it's spongy. You press the peddle and it doesn't do anything until right at the bottom, but then when it kicks in it isn't too bad!

The pedal

Is rock hard when the engine is off but as soon as it's started it's spongy. You press the peddle and it doesn't do anything until right at the bottom, but then when it kicks in it isn't too bad!

Ahh, what you have there are Lada Samara brakes.