Jump to content

The new news 24 thread


Father Ted

Recommended Posts

The outcome from this morning’s visit ( apart from nice biscuits, but no coffee machine) was that the faulty indicator needs a new headlamp. They have put the warranty claim in action and ordered the replacement but there’s no eta. I did not point out that they had one TIPO in the showroom, and two on the forecourt to borrow a headlamp assembly from. They are not exactly selling like hotcakes. The white one with red door mirrors and seat stiching looked quite good.

they did wash and vacuum the car though. Must have played with it as the fault was cleared when I got in and the indicator worked on the way home ( doesn’t now though). I had a nose under the bonnet and they’ve had the connector apart and pulled some wiring loom tape back that I can see.

how these places support the staff though I don’t know. For an hour I was the only customer in there, and six sales people and reception staff had absolutely nothing to do- I’d be bored to death. Nothing pro-active either along the lines of “while you’re here can we get you into a new car, upgrade to an Alfa or anything”.

girl I spoke to was pleasant enough though.

now I’m home and the electronic apocalypse keeps coming - my (it turns out 13years old) pure chronos dab no longer picks up Scala radio and is not upgradable to dab+ and my broadband is down. Have plenty of GB left on the mobile allowance and connecting to its mobile hotspot only tool an hour to workout.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

Nothing pro-active either along the lines of “while you’re here can we get you into a new car, upgrade to an Alfa or anything”.

The sales manager would always say speak to the customers in the service waiting room, and it was a task you'd actively avoid as almost nobody in for service wants to buy a car but will want to talk to pass the time and then you're trapped - you're better off hiding in the tea room and sprinting out when you see a giffer turn up in a Rover 75 they've owned from new, much better return on your time invested.

Poor show that they didn't have a coffee machine though, that's the best part of working in a main dealer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Rust Collector said:

The sales manager would always say speak to the customers in the service waiting room, and it was a task you'd actively avoid as almost nobody in for service wants to buy a car but will want to talk to pass the time and then you're trapped - you're better off hiding in the tea room and sprinting out when you see a giffer turn up in a Rover 75 they've owned from new, much better return on your time invested.

Poor show that they didn't have a coffee machine though, that's the best part of working in a main dealer.

I don’t mind that they didn’t, I wasn’t in the mood, happened last time I was in the merc dealer in ascot. I’m just amazed surprised that there were probably 100 fiat 500s and three tipos outside and no one thought to sell me one. I couldn’t see jeep or Alfa, but they may have been somewhere else as I’ve not been to the place before.

 

 

edit, actually, they’re a block down the road!

IMG_0782.png

IMG_0783.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, reb said:

I remember taking my Golf to a main dealer to be rinsed for a second key.

I was nosing about a brand new GTI, I made a critical error in that I said "I have no money" so they left me alone and I didn't get a shot of any of the shiny new cars.

Mercedes ascot were very good when I used them with the 25yr old coupe. Friendly and happy to help get parts although thinking about it, no one in sales spoke to me then either. How do they sell cars if they don’t approach customers in the actual sales room looking at their products? Are they supposed to be proactive go-getting sales specialists? It’s the exact opposite of my mentality so I don’t understand really.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Purchased my second Mercedes last night, road trip this evening with @bobdisk to rescue said purchase.

Unavoidably hit a small deer with my car adding to the Audi incident damage. Stopped to check Waze directions in a muddy lay-by that happened to contain a burger van, Bob burgered, I had the roadkill mystery meat kebab.

Collected the car which has a completely dead dash from Portsmouth  the dash is darker than a dark thing on a dark night. The Command radio CD satnav unit works so I had sounds. Whatever tells the car it is dark needs comforting by the dashboard as the radio display was Texas summer brightness on the A3 so no sounds. The car also has an SBC fault absolute result as the SBC charged up as I unlocked the car so I had full brakes and cruise control most of the way back until the M25 then it was first and second with limited braking.

Bob with my Tanzanite blue E320cdi.........

20231026_202054.thumb.jpg.d00b767b132d2dc09fecfc0899ec67c1.jpg

 

 Bob with my other Tanzanite blue E320cdi.......

20231026_202035.thumb.jpg.fc7b52c58906f6d81554de367a24c0bc.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, richardmorris said:

Mercedes ascot were very good when I used them with the 25yr old coupe. Friendly and happy to help get parts although thinking about it, no one in sales spoke to me then either. How do they sell cars if they don’t approach customers in the actual sales room looking at their products? Are they supposed to be proactive go-getting sales specialists? It’s the exact opposite of my mentality so I don’t understand really.

I think a lot of people wandering around main dealer showrooms are just window shopping, hence sales staff often don't bother approaching them. I do agree it doesn't seem very proactive but I think that's just how it is. Quite often I've been in main dealers for parts and I've had a nosy around for the sake of it, obviously never intending to buy anything. 

Part of the reason I believe is that they could approach someone who isn't serious and waste a considerable amount of time with them and then miss out on a serious customer that happens to walk in 5 minutes later and ends up making a purchase. 

If they concentrate on appointment bookings then at least they may have more confidence in the buyer's intentions and that some fruition may come of it 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Think it depends on the marque/brand/specific dealership and its possible clientele.

Walk into an Audi or Merc dealer, they don't tend to be all over you. They might ask (eventually) if they can be any help, but will usually leave you alone and say 'Well if there's anything i can do, let me know'. Low pressure sales.

Walk into an Arnold Clarks selling Fiats and the salesman will be on you in a matter of second trying to 'match' you to a car. Fuck off,

There's an AC down the road from me and i used to occasionally pop in for a look (i was considering buying something at one point) and i could barely get my foot in the lot before somebody was pestering me and wanting to talk finance packages. Which was mega off putting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Mrcento said:

Think it depends on the marque/brand/specific dealership and its possible clientele.

Walk into an Audi or Merc dealer, they don't tend to be all over you. They might ask (eventually) if they can be any help, but will usually leave you alone and say 'Well if there's anything i can do, let me know'. Low pressure sales.

Walk into an Arnold Clarks selling Fiats and the salesman will be on you in a matter of second trying to 'match' you to a car. Fuck off,

There's an AC down the road from me and i used to occasionally pop in for a look (i was considering buying something at one point) and i could barely get my foot in the lot before somebody was pestering me and wanting to talk finance packages. Which was mega off putting.

The selling of cars just seems to be a necessary evil to enable them to sell finance packages these days. Last time I bought a car , I told them I had the money , didn’t need finance but they still took about 20 minutes trying to sell it. Then even after we’d established I was paying in full, they tried selling me Gap insurance.

Maybe things will change with interest rates rising and businesses will welcome having cash in the bank.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Mrcento said:

Think it depends on the marque/brand/specific dealership and its possible clientele.

Walk into an Audi or Merc dealer, they don't tend to be all over you. They might ask (eventually) if they can be any help, but will usually leave you alone and say 'Well if there's anything i can do, let me know'. Low pressure sales.

Walk into an Arnold Clarks selling Fiats and the salesman will be on you in a matter of second trying to 'match' you to a car. Fuck off,

There's an AC down the road from me and i used to occasionally pop in for a look (i was considering buying something at one point) and i could barely get my foot in the lot before somebody was pestering me and wanting to talk finance packages. Which was mega off putting.

The last time I bought a modern car,  I went round a few Arnold Clarks after they'd closed for the night so I wouldn't get hounded by salesmen 😂 I can't stand it.

Seen one we liked then came back the next day. As you say walk into one and they're over you like a rash 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, SRi05 said:

The last time I bought a modern car,  I went round a few Arnold Clarks after they'd closed for the night so I wouldn't get hounded by salesmen 😂 I can't stand it.

Seen one we liked then came back the next day. As you say walk into one and they're over you like a rash 

Trouble is my wife falls for all the bull shit and then instead of saying “yeh, we’re think about it, depends on the price / trade in etc”, she immediately says “yes, I love it! That’s the one I want . “ No chance of any deal after that, you’re paying sticker price.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Six-cylinder said:

Mercedes CLK GTR, in case you wondered!

Getting it off the loader was fun to watch. It's got the chin spoiler of Jimmy Hill and they had to build up the ramps with bits of wood and mats to stop it grounding.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Reduced the 2007 Clio to a grand for the general public today. No offers.

Father and son team viewing now.

I’ve been given the third degree over its history, now ‘we need 5 minutes to lift the carpet mats and have a look around’

Will I get the offer I’ve explicitly said I don’t want?

B18B37CB-7576-4F4B-BB9C-5B8C5C36C74E.jpeg.fa608b4f64ed22d092d15444f68acb10.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...