The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

12 hours ago, chodweaver said:

I'M ALIVE!

Ahem, sorry. This is newsworthy because i have been trying, on and off, for weeks, to compress a front spring on the Chrysler Voyager, after the top mount and the top of the strut parted company (how, I'm not yet sure, as the top is still covered up by scuttle, sound insulation, assorted wires and pipes).

Whatever, the strut, top mount and spring have to come out to find out what needs replacing, so the spring, a quite stout item, supporting as it does, over a quarter of the GVW of a (Grand) Voyager, needs to come out. 

Anyway, everyone who has been aware of this has shaken their head and expressed what widow makers non-hydraulic, non-floor mounted spring compressors are - even the man in the local parts shop who sold me a beefier pair for this job. "I really don't like selling these" he goes. "Everyone i know who has ever used them has been injured. Haven't they Bob?"

Bob, the other customer present, replies:

"Oh, aye. That young lad at the garage next door, he's been using them years. Still, had one slip on him and now he's got a plate in his head"

Etc etc..

So it is with some surprise and not a little jubilation that i have at least completed the first stage of this apparently potentially life threatening or at least life-changing-injury-rich pastime...

Wish me luck

My set does tend to slip round the spring onto one point, making a scary banana shape, but I've not had it pop off (yet). 

It does have little retainer plates that go over the spring as a safety measure, I always do these up. 

I think half the battle is holding the strut steady so you're able to work carefully and evenly. 

20240321_100405.jpg

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Daniel R25 said:

Does wafting better than my Laguna and rides even better... 

I should go back. 

FTFY 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Daniel R25 said:

Hi,

I managed to walk away from this. Quite hard really. Very comfy seats, huge windows and tan interior make it feel very airy inside. Great colour as well. 2.0turbo auto, 6month mot, 60t miles and only 1000 Euros. Drives and stops.

Double beige is just great. Perfect Car to bump into things and wet your pants. And end up in flames. But no smell of piss and it would clean Up Well.

I just can't justify it. Does nothing better than my Laguna and weighs 200kg more...

Or should go back? 😜

Daniel

PXL_20240321_150658071.jpg

PXL_20240321_150133956.jpg

PXL_20240321_145949624.jpg

Have you gone back yet?

1 hour ago, grogee said:

My set does tend to slip round the spring onto one point, making a scary banana shape, but I've not had it pop off (yet). 

It does have little retainer plates that go over the spring as a safety measure, I always do these up. 

I think half the battle is holding the strut steady so you're able to work carefully and evenly. 

20240321_100405.jpg

Never seen ones with retainer plates before - interesting.

I hope I'm maintaining a healthy respect for the things, but the levering of the strut around in the wheel well to get the top of the strut back into the top mount, while the spring was fully squished, just so i could lean on the bottom strut bolts to get them cracked off, was all done with Hurt Locker levels of PPE, plus a safety squint, for good measure...

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, chodweaver said:

Never seen ones with retainer plates before - interesting.

I hope I'm maintaining a healthy respect for the things, but the levering of the strut around in the wheel well to get the top of the strut back into the top mount, while the spring was fully squished, just so i could lean on the bottom strut bolts to get them cracked off, was all done with Hurt Locker levels of PPE, plus a safety squint, for good measure...

Scary things, the ones I have had 40 years have spent most of that time in storage, hate using them and always try to find an alternative method. We have one of these at work, works well. 

Screenshot_20240323_091835_eBay.jpg.a63e629a53cabcac6e74fa694cc1165c.jpg

14 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

Koenigsegg Aguerooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!

sorry ill go now (kun aguero) (im not a man city fan either :D )

Wrong question, that is exactly why I asked here 😂

I have nearly finished the Laguna GT that has stood in the rain for 12 years due to a faulty gearbox. Drives nicely. After a lot of Work, it now has a MOT and there seems nothing wrong with the gearbox. Strange... GT means it has the Megane Sport engine

I will start driving and see what happens. I have presented the Car on here before. It is a shared project with a good friend who has just recovered from cancer.

Daniel

PXL_20240203_155033461~2.jpg

PXL_20240203_155445403.jpg

20231210_151831.jpg

PXL_20240322_112944682.jpg

Bought an engine for the Civic, went to MK to pick it up in the Yaris. 

Now trying to pick up some seats in Harlow but stuck in Marketplace limbo. Having to go full sleuth cause I'm not letting them get away. 

Done about 100 miles in the F today. 

Verdict- a lot of fun, ride height a bit low (ive got a pump from years ago which will be needed)

I did manage to split the rear screen when i got all enthusiastic and put the roof down over dartmoor coming back from exeter. 

I watched the coolant level and temp like a hawk, as you might in a £600 mgf, but all was well. Except the screen but thats easily sorted

IMG_5720.jpeg.cda2c2d28d3e128f2129af1480247d0d.jpeg

Assymetric exhaust action 

21 hours ago, Metal Guru said:

I remember a school trip to Lullingstone Roman Villa probably about 1973.

i went there and some shire horse place early 80s

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Daniel R25 said:

Wrong question, that is exactly why I asked here 😂

I have nearly finished the Laguna GT that has stood in the rain for 12 years due to a faulty gearbox. Drives nicely. After a lot of Work, it now has a MOT and there seems nothing wrong with the gearbox. Strange... GT means it has the Megane Sport engine

I will start driving and see what happens. I have presented the Car on here before. It is a shared project with a good friend who has just recovered from cancer.

Daniel

PXL_20240203_155033461~2.jpg

PXL_20240203_155445403.jpg

20231210_151831.jpg

PXL_20240322_112944682.jpg

is it fast mister

On 22/03/2024 at 18:21, chodweaver said:

I'M ALIVE!

Ahem, sorry. This is newsworthy because i have been trying, on and off, for weeks, to compress a front spring on the Chrysler Voyager, after the top mount and the top of the strut parted company (how, I'm not yet sure, as the top is still covered up by scuttle, sound insulation, assorted wires and pipes).

Whatever, the strut, top mount and spring have to come out to find out what needs replacing, so the spring, a quite stout item, supporting as it does, over a quarter of the GVW of a (Grand) Voyager, needs to come out. 

Anyway, everyone who has been aware of this has shaken their head and expressed what widow makers non-hydraulic, non-floor mounted spring compressors are - even the man in the local parts shop who sold me a beefier pair for this job. "I really don't like selling these" he goes. "Everyone i know who has ever used them has been injured. Haven't they Bob?"

Bob, the other customer present, replies:

"Oh, aye. That young lad at the garage next door, he's been using them years. Still, had one slip on him and now he's got a plate in his head"

Etc etc..

So it is with some surprise and not a little jubilation that i have at least completed the first stage of this apparently potentially life threatening or at least life-changing-injury-rich pastime...

Wish me luck

13 hours ago, grogee said:

20240321_100405.jpg

Pah, you lightweights. 

How about a W202 Merc spring? 😅

Yes, some poo came out when it jumped 🤣🤣

IMG_20230317_104032.jpg.183c5257c1cb03e19588e528e00676ff.jpg

IMG_20230317_104507.jpg.282266d2faca14b62243357a197843da.jpg

For those of you that haven't seen one of these springs in person before, they are fecking twice as tough as a normal spring... 

Procured a new car while intoxicated on the 22nd March for the other half and picking it up tomorrow, it’s too modern for a collection thread….. currently beer count 4…….and counting.

• Like 1

There's no point in me starting another collection thread today as the first 2/3rds of the journey is exactly the same as the last one I did. Plus if you read my last thread you'll see that John Craven's behaviour was so obnoxious that I've told him that buses aren't for him and he's to stay home.

Even the brand of car is the same.

In short:

Car to the train station to catch the 9.18 to Edinburgh.

Megabus at 10.40 to Newcastle, arrives at 1.20.

Unfortunately there is only 1 Megabus on a Sunday on this route so it means I have to kick about in town for a few hours before getting a 10 or 11 bus to the sellers house for 4pm.

Hopefully everything goes smoothly. Car is paid for and insured and I have located a nearby fuel station.

13 hours ago, HMC said:

Done about 100 miles in the F today. 

Verdict- a lot of fun, ride height a bit low (ive got a pump from years ago which will be needed)

I did manage to split the rear screen when i got all enthusiastic and put the roof down over dartmoor coming back from exeter. 

I watched the coolant level and temp like a hawk, as you might in a £600 mgf, but all was well. Except the screen but thats easily sorted

IMG_5720.jpeg.cda2c2d28d3e128f2129af1480247d0d.jpeg

Assymetric exhaust action 

Moretonhampstead twisty route? It's a fun road. Shame about the 40 limits these days but I can't remember the last time I saw any police or cameras there. 

Do you like screwing things to other things at least 500 times? 

Can you decipher poorly drawn Chinglish instructions? 

Do you like slicing your hands on sharp metal edges? 

Build a metal shed and be like me!

(Ably assisted by the ever-obliging @Cluffy. Model's own clothes) 

20240324_102927.jpg

40 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

Collected, a pleasure @Schaefft

IMG-20240324-WA0002.jpeg.cbca9bdb99448029d25344956dfdac5d.jpeg

Refreshments stop at the geese place. Car is huge!

20240324_175335.jpg.d7a089ce281c465c8e29d7389c246c69.jpg

It will feel huge in comparison to the TT but I think you'll get used to it!

Car drove excellent on the way home and returned 44.8mpg. Just a knock from a front suspension link somewhere as declared in the advert. It only did it on the very last speed-hump outside my house so can't complain.

It's incredibly clean and tidy and a credit to the previous owner. My wife and son are big fans of it already.

5 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

Car drove excellent on the way home and returned 44.8mpg. Just a knock from a front suspension link somewhere as declared in the advert. It only did it on the very last speed-hump outside my house so can't complain.

It's incredibly clean and tidy and a credit to the previous owner. My wife and son are big fans of it already.

Glad it all worked out, excellent MPGs there as well. It's worth investigating properly where it's coming from. The top arms have been replaced not that long ago but my guess is still driver side top front arm ball joint.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Schaefft said:

Glad it all worked out, excellent MPGs there as well. It's worth investigating properly where it's coming from. The top arms have been replaced not that long ago but my guess is still driver side top front arm ball joint.

I'll just chuck it at my garage come MOT time, and get them to look there, they are surprisingly inexpensive. 

Really pleased with it, I have wanted one ever since I saw my first one in a queue for a ferry way back in 2003. 

My son was amazed at the seat adjustments, he even found some that I hadn't yet discovered when on the journey back.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, grogee said:

Do you like screwing things to other things at least 500 times? 

Can you decipher poorly drawn Chinglish instructions? 

Do you like slicing your hands on sharp metal edges? 

Build a metal shed and be like me!

(Ably assisted by the ever-obliging @Cluffy. Model's own clothes) 

20240324_102927.jpg

will u be insulating and lining it as they sweat inside and drip.

2 minutes ago, stuboy said:

will u be insulating and lining it as they sweat inside and drip.

Hell no. I'm sure my bikes will survive in it. Although I'm thinking about a few ground anchors & chains for additional security.