The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

12 minutes ago, Tayne said:

Judging by the absense of aftermarket stick-on tat your "friend" has never seen your car. 

funny enough he stuck a 'honk if u want a blow job' on the black of my old black mondeo

5 hours ago, barefoot said:

I'm curious to know what a Kei car is really like to drive in the UK. Are these the real deal with the 660cc engine, the CVT box & AC? Please write up a proper road test style review. 

I dailied a Suzuki Cappuccino for a year, entirely usable in that case albeit there with a manual, and in that case it went very well.  Bit buzzy at motorway speeds, but that's not what the car was designed for really!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, barefoot said:

I'm curious to know what a Kei car is really like to drive in the UK. Are these the real deal with the 660cc engine, the CVT box & AC? Please write up a proper road test style review. 

I owned a Mitsubishi i Kei car which I bought as an ex-demo car in 2007 during the short period they were on sale in the UK (not the later electric one).  Its rear-under-the- floor, 660cc turbocharged, conventional automatic configuration attracted me.  I kept it until 2014 having covered 82K miles.  It was remarkably practical, being able to seat 4 normal sized adults with perfectly adequate legroom in the front and rear despite being fractionally shorter than the then current Citroen C1 which had no leg room in the rear unless front seats were pushed forwards, thereby making sure that the driver and passengers were very cramped.  I took my daughter  and her husband to Wales and on another occasion took them to Scotland (Fort William), from which we also toured the Isle of Mull.  I made numerous solo camping trips in it to the Isle of Wight and Swanage.  On motorways it was absolutely fine, able to cruise comfortably at 70mph and would top out at an indicated 91mph on the private sections.  It was exceptionally handy in towns and on country lanes where its  diminutive size, tight turning circle and perky performance scored over modern blobmobiles which constantly get held up because they can't get past each other and need much more space to manoeuvre.  Downsides?  At 82K the turbocharger shed a blade which also wrecked the intercooler.  At near enough £1000 retail plus labour to fix it, I let it go for recycling.  Someone in the trade picked it up, fixed it and continued to drive it past 100K but it looked rough and neglected in 2020.  Also, its suspension, although fine on reasonable roads, did crash and bang on rougher roads.  Would I consider a Kei car again?  Most definitely.

100_0715.jpeg

Edited by RayMK
Photo added: Somewhere in Wales, 2011.

10 hours ago, stuboy said:

funny enough he stuck a 'honk if u want a blow job' on the black of my old black mondeo

Beep beep.

• Haha 3

It was sunny so I decided to go up to Upullit as I knew they had a B7 Cabriolet in.

20240207_141122.thumb.jpg.2ee1f12eb19715d7c5a586bb5ad83668.jpg

Nice wee haul:

20240207_141132.thumb.jpg.8d479d02fe9f19a3fe8c2e141a76d041.jpg

N/S mirror as the existing one has the glass smashed and an ebay sticky glass panel put over it and the perspective is very weird. 

Offside windscreen trim as it's missing on mine.

Finally, an intact armrest

An intact battery cover.

£51 all in which isn't bad especially for the mirror.

Oil leak and to find an O/S wing in colour that's better than the one on it.

There was another guy working on it at the same time and he toiled for ages until I saw him remove.....the thermostat. They're literally about £8 new. Jesus wept.

On 06/02/2024 at 21:27, RayMK said:

I owned a Mitsubishi i Kei car which I bought as an ex-demo car in 2007 during the short period they were on sale in the UK (not the later electric one).

Ah, that's solved something that's been bugging me for years - whenever the Mitsubishi i-MiEV was launched in 2010, I was sure I'd seen one on the road about two years earlier, on an 07 plate. It was such an odd-looking thing, it stuck in my mind.

I hadn't realised the same car had been sold briefly in the UK with a petrol engine a few years beforehand.

Well well well.

That's a weight off my mind!

• Like 3

I dailied the Innocenti for about 18 months when I first owned it.  That's almost Kei-car sized and with a Kei engine, but with no turbo so about half the output of a "normal" one.  It was fine, overtakes required a fair bit of forward planning but other than that I was quite happy buzzing around in it.

On 05/02/2024 at 13:30, stuboy said:

These battery savers are they good or am I get frustrated with it... but then it's my 2nd car..

20240204_155748.jpg

They're ok until they aren't.

Used a lot they get corroded and worn down until they start making poor contact. Took me a while to work out why the car was having trouble spinning over on the starter.

• Like 2

@wuvvum may be pleased to know his old Ypsilon continues to provide sterling service and Mrs T is eternally grateful to his fine self. Threw an engine light wobbly two days before MOT but easily solved with code reader and new MAF and turbo pressure sensors. Until then all it had needed in ages has been a brake pedal sensor that also threw up a code, though I've made sure it's always got fresh oil, filters and recently replaced the plugs as twinairs need them in good shape. Passed easily but I've replaced a drop link that they rather generously decided to only advise on. Also have given it a comprehensive rust treatment, paint and primer underneath & it's good for many more years. I really love the car, a dream to potter around town with its whizzy twinair engine and its quirky looks have grown on me. 

PXL_20240202_105839683.jpg

PXL_20240202_105843934.jpg

PXL_20240202_105833709.jpg

PXL_20240202_124821090.jpg

PXL_20240205_095924851.jpg

PXL_20240207_130813022.jpg

PXL_20240207_130254457.jpg

PXL_20240201_120937375.jpg

• Like 5

Having the hump as not had chance to look at why it's feeling restricted and also nor had the new battery fitted and no diesel in it, and being off the road I decided tooo get my ass in gear fitted the battery and go put 50 quids worth of Dino juice.   Not having avaliable was annoying me.... oh and not fixing it still niggling at me.

On 26/01/2024 at 23:38, Broadsword said:

You know when things start bad, you work hard to correct, recover and then things just get worse. Well here is a tale just like that.

Recently picked up a 09 Saab TTiD to replace the Citroen C5 as a family wagon. Really nice, clean car with big service history. Drives lovely and does dog transport duties well. Picked up, drove back great. Really quick and comfy car with added boost gauge goodness. Problem no. 1 ah the starter motor is buggered. Oh well, there is always something. Replacing it was much harder than anticipated, but it got done. Nice. Up and runing again. Now I have to travel abroad, but I think it will be plain sailing from here. Next problem. Low oil pressure warning. At this point I'm starting to wonder how the seller hid these problems so well. I had a good poke around, but all the trouble is happening after the deal. Ok, turns out it's a known TTiD foible. Mildly irritating, not terminal and fixable. Ok, I'll fix that in the summer. I'm aborad now anyway. Next comes a phone call in a panic. The alarm keeps going off. Dogs are setting it off. The ultrasonics are too sensitive. Ok, there is a fix for that in the car settings. Aand relax. Another phone call. The key disintegrated, can't get it. Panic. Ok, the spare at least is kind of ok (they had to walk home). I will reshell the key. Annd relax. Then one more phone call this evening. I was told to sit down. The car is broken I'm told.

So it turns out our "friend" was really having a bad time and stalled several times, apparently in 5th gear. Now the car is making a banging at idle. Also for shits and giggles it's apparently trying to drive forward in neutral and with the clutch fully depressed, it is also trying to drive.

My mood. As such. It is currently low. I spent the whole Christmas fixing many things and sorting many more out becuase I knew I would have to spend a lot of time travelling this year. Now it seems everything is fucked. I can't outrun the nonsense. I like to think I can and pat myself on the back for it, but there is always a new and interesting fuckup to trump the previous one.

An interesting follow up to this. The Saab has now healed itself and is driving perfect again. Even the oil light thing has become mostly absent. How?

1 hour ago, PhilA said:

They're ok until they aren't.

Used a lot they get corroded and worn down until they start making poor contact. Took me a while to work out why the car was having trouble spinning over on the starter.

I have one I took off the 2cv years ago as I kept forgetting to screw the top in before trying to start it. Happy to post for postage £ if anyone wants it? Oh there’s a lights on alarm too if that would interest someone?

image.jpg

48 minutes ago, Broadsword said:

An interesting follow up to this. The Saab has now healed itself and is driving perfect again. Even the oil light thing has become mostly absent. How?

Because the ill spirit that possessed it has left - on it's endless journey - looking for its next victim?
I know, because it is here now haunting a Bini R50. It will leave, usually unexpectedly. 
Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow, but soon 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Broadsword said:

So I was told these aren't Fiat engines at all, they're from an Insignia, famous for their oil starvation issues.  Don't ignore it!

33 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

So I was told these aren't Fiat engines at all, they're from an Insignia, famous for their oil starvation issues.  Don't ignore it!

That's correct it'll be the oil pickup seal breaking up and should not be ignored at any cost.

Well this family are now the proud owners of two magnificent* french fancies. 

IMG_9129.thumb.jpeg.b7e7a46e5870a3003bf2311e93c4b58e.jpeg

Pez shot on the way round the south circ. Only stopped for filters to be honest but hey.

BD9549D6-B556-4BC9-A88D-6DCE8AAFFEC8.thumb.jpeg.d41b3bdb0203d0db98fd62838a6d9610.jpeg

Back home safe and quick test drive reveals it to be exactly as advertised. Damp and slightly broken. With a quick fettle i think it'll do just fine. Despite many trials and tribulations I am yet to find any hate for small French cars.IMG_9131.thumb.jpeg.374954289d43997dd75c1d54774c4180.jpeg

20 minutes ago, Rustybullethole said:

Well this family are now the proud owners of two magnificent* french fancies. 

IMG_9129.thumb.jpeg.b7e7a46e5870a3003bf2311e93c4b58e.jpeg

Pez shot on the way round the south circ. Only stopped for filters to be honest but hey.

BD9549D6-B556-4BC9-A88D-6DCE8AAFFEC8.thumb.jpeg.d41b3bdb0203d0db98fd62838a6d9610.jpeg

Back home safe and quick test drive reveals it to be exactly as advertised. Damp and slightly broken. With a quick fettle i think it'll do just fine. Despite many trials and tribulations I am yet to find any hate for small French cars.IMG_9131.thumb.jpeg.374954289d43997dd75c1d54774c4180.jpeg

Drag Queen! (Or King, identifying is confussing)

• Haha 1

While driving back from looking at a car, my neighbour phoned. 

His 2010 118d shat itself near home and he urgently needed a tow. Driving along to find it suddenly just cut out and die.

I did the right thing and assisted him. He did keep pressing the brakes and tightening the tow rope up. 

Anyway got him home. I did a quick scan to find cam sensor and low fuel rail pressure. He's fully expecting it to be dead. 

He's the type that never services a car. I think he's done 100k+ in it so far some how. 

I might unplug the cam sensor and see if it starts. The engine turns over but sounds lumpy and not an even note. My first thought was chains given the engine on it. But perhaps maybe it is simply a sensor gone and bad information is making it sound lumpy on turn over as it's injecting in at the wrong time?

S class has made it back here. It had just had a new battery installed by the RAC as it'd shat. 

Glow plugs and AC compressor have been replaced at significant expense. 

It's alright - drives like a 124 with slightly better handling. Slightly too many buttons and things, but loads of nice features.  Air suspension good. Could have been comfier. 

Felt reasonably torquey but nothing special - after some fresh diesel it properly pulls now. 

There's a knocking noise that sounds like it's coming from the prop under load, the radio has shat itself and only plays deafening static (though apparently this is common on COMAND and just comes and goes), and the throttle position sensor keeps throwing EMLs that put it in limp - thankfully I had a cheap OBD reader with me so I could clear those so as not to impede progress. 

The WagonR also got stuck in limp and limited itself to something like 50kmh, I managed to lose my dad in the process somewhere on the A1 so he's had to call the AA. 

We really like the WagonR - dad was smitten with it til it went into limp, hopefully there's nothing too seriously wrong with it, he's been trying to convince my mum into it.

It's probably grumpy from being underused at the moment - it's 11 years old but only has 30k km on the clock, and was probably sitting around a lot in the import process. 

Also, the 'grille' on the WagonR lights up! 

PXL_20240207_154807477.jpg

PXL_20240207_191528749.NIGHT.jpg

PXL_20240207_152614339.jpg

8 hours ago, PhilA said:

That is the most delightfully shonky trailer board I've seen in a while. Love it.

The rattle can script started badly and petered off rapidly. I did however extend the cable and make the lights work on my lunch break which is a major step forward.

21 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

It was sunny so I decided to go up to Upullit as I knew they had a B7 Cabriolet in.

20240207_141122.thumb.jpg.2ee1f12eb19715d7c5a586bb5ad83668.jpg

Nice wee haul:

20240207_141132.thumb.jpg.8d479d02fe9f19a3fe8c2e141a76d041.jpg

N/S mirror as the existing one has the glass smashed and an ebay sticky glass panel put over it and the perspective is very weird. 

Offside windscreen trim as it's missing on mine.

Finally, an intact armrest

An intact battery cover.

£51 all in which isn't bad especially for the mirror.

Oil leak and to find an O/S wing in colour that's better than the one on it.

There was another guy working on it at the same time and he toiled for ages until I saw him remove.....the thermostat. They're literally about £8 new. Jesus wept.

Busy lunchtime.

Replaced the armrest. It has no clip to keep it closed but I think you can buy a repair kit on ebay.

Replaced the mashed and bodged mirror glass. As said it had a poor quality stick on piece of glass over the smashed original. I didn't need the whole mirror in the end but it's handy to have I guess.

20240208_124848.thumb.jpg.4af54d2fce6b28af6be54b27858b576f.jpg

20240208_124851.thumb.jpg.80541af0b0c8616e9857c56570358e09.jpg

Replaced battery cover.

I can't work out how this is supposed to stay in place as it doesn't.

20240208_125136.thumb.jpg.5387613315acd76730e04bd7a384a97c.jpg

Nothings broken behind. Might just have to run a bead of silicone down the edge.

The drivers carpet is still wet. Ignoring that one for now.

Sorry about the sideways photos. They are the right way up on my phone.

• Like 3

Borderline euphoria alert…..

Im putting a new engine in the Scirocco, soon.  It’s complete apart from the air intake pipe from the air filter to the turbo.  I thought it would be a nightmare to find one and I’d end up (unsuccessfully) trying to make something myself.

Last available from VW dealers in 2016 for £190 plus VAT.

€19 plus postage from Volkswagen Classic Parts in Wolfsburg.  Arrived in 7 days!

I’m a happy man!

7AA321F4-6EE6-47A1-ADB0-593C1570DB83.jpeg

Last night I did my first buy of 2024.  It's pretty dismal.

20240208_090734.thumb.jpg.3f9f4d897b20d7499b84aefa70f27af6.jpg

2007 Zafira B 1.6 Life.  It's basic, gutless, has three weeks' MOT, at least one knocking ball joint and the start of a noisy wheel bearing.  It also needs a thermostat as the heater is shite.  However it was basically scrap money, and it's got plenty of room in the back with all the seats down so it's going to be used as overflow storage for now until I decide what to do with it.

7 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

2007 Zafira B 1.6 Life.  It's basic, gutless, has three weeks' MOT, at least one knocking ball joint and the start of a noisy wheel bearing.  It also needs a thermostat as the heater is shite.  However it was basically scrap money, and it's got plenty of room in the back with all the seats down so it's going to be used as overflow storage for now until I decide what to do with it.

🎵Life, oooh Life, aaahhh Life... 🎶

I really want to know how miserable it is. Do you have to wind your own windows? Is the seat cloth made from purest grey? 

39 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Peak grim, proper chod!

56 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

the 1.6 in the astra was slow wonder how it copes in a bigger body

1 hour ago, wuvvum said:

They seem to be popular with seasonal/food factory workers, with a fresh MoT I would have thought it would sell OK? Otherwise let it go to the banger racers?