HMC- NEW Granada mk2 2.8 ghia landlord edition

HMC

4 minutes ago, HMC said:

Actually a tactic that works with esure, say if you want to cancel but avoid the admin fee is to ask for a change of vehicle and make it an older vehicle- say pre 1985. In the 2 legitimate instances i have had the customer service people waived the cancellation fees; this I believe is discretionary and im generally good at being charming in such telephone situations 😂

Adrian Flux may also do this on a phone call (dunno if they do it online) and I have what feels like a perpetually rolling policy with them that I just leave open if I sell a car then ring up if I buy something else - so long as it is 'weird' then they're lovely. 
My 'real' policy on the daily is a different kettle of fish - sproglette is here at the moment and it was £18 to add her to my policy for the remaining three months but £38 admin fee that they would not waiver. Told them no thank you as she can drive it third party in any case as she's fully comp on her own policy with that as an option.

• Like 2

Admiral Multicar policy can work fairly well too, if you have a car on there and replace it with another one the admin fee is 13 quid I believe. Not bad considering it probably happens once per month.

• Like 3

Been getting to know this elderly daimler a bit more. I tweaked the ignition timing to get rid of a little spitting back, which has cured this, and the brakes and running of the car in general has improved just carefully pottering around the local streets, and mastering the preselector gearbox. 

The tyres care elderly camacs that are well past it, so im looking around for a new set at them mo, and ill have to try and find my long lost grease gun!

IMG_3894.thumb.jpeg.0c5c47add76dce6c9777adbbbc0e2771.jpeg

Any means of adjusting the bonnet? It looks like you've just been rootling under there in every picture.

19 hours ago, uk_senator said:

I`ve got this knocking around somewhere, which looks like it could be from the same manufacturer?  Or a similar theme at least..

29812803324_de077c9d24_o.jpg

Reminds me of a smutty ditty (note: imploring expression!)

T'was on a dark and stormy night, the scavenger took fit...

The wind blew out her candle and she fell amongst the $hit!

Oh .. Give me back my candle, Oh .. Give me back my light.. Will someone give me a shovel, to shovel away the $hite 🤦

🤣🤣

21 minutes ago, somewhatfoolish said:

Any means of adjusting the bonnet? It looks like you've just been rootling under there in every picture.

i havent properly closed it yet as i cant see/ find the release 😂

• Haha 2

When reading wiki it said 'All cars featured automatic chassis lubrication to 21 points, using a pump controlled by exhaust heat at startup.' Citation needed!

Never heard of that b4.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, egg said:

When reading wiki it said 'All cars featured automatic chassis lubrication to 21 points, using a pump controlled by exhaust heat at startup.' Citation needed!

Never heard of that b4.

Ill have to investigate 🤔

1 hour ago, tooSavvy said:

Reminds me of a smutty ditty (note: imploring expression!)

T'was on a dark and stormy night, the scavenger took fit...

The wind blew out her candle and she fell amongst the $hit!

Oh .. Give me back my candle, Oh .. Give me back my light.. Will someone give me a shovel, to shovel away the $hite 🤦

🤣🤣

You sir, have a talent! 😁

On 8/26/2023 at 8:57 PM, EyesWeldedShut said:

Adrian Flux may also do this on a phone call (dunno if they do it online) and I have what feels like a perpetually rolling policy with them that I just leave open if I sell a car then ring up if I buy something else - so long as it is 'weird' then they're lovely. 

They've been utter bellends with me, and given the communities/career I am involved in, I will not shut up about it now.

5 hours ago, RichardK said:

They've been utter bellends with me, and given the communities/career I am involved in, I will not shut up about it now.

This.  They've been utterly incompetent, unhelpful bastards every time I've had to deal with them, and their incompetence ended up losing me somewhere in the region of 10 years of NCB because it expired - when I still had three cars on cover with them, but the one it had originally been told to had been sold.  Rather than you know...ask me, or by default move it on to the next vehicle on file, no, they just left it.  Didn't help that the only way to even view it was through a convoluted route in their online portal or I might have noticed.

They also have managed to foul up the policy on the Caddy three times now.  Once when I set it up (ALL the mods declared for wheelchair adaptation vanished), once when I wanted to amend the mileage allowance (they managed to change my allowed annual mileage to a negative number...how does the system even let that happen?!?), and again at renewal when they once again lost the fact that it was a wheelchair adapted vehicle.  Cue another hour on the phone to Outer Mongolia.

Not to mention the policy on the Xantia which I had SPECIFICALLY told them I did not want to auto renew - which did.  Somehow the email reminders, the letter and then the new policy paperwork was all "lost" - and they spent a good chunk of a year charging me the best part of a grand above the going rate to insure the car.  Their cancellation terms were such that it was actually going to cost me more to cancel by the time we spotted it (I'd been kinda preoccupied with my father having recently passed away at the actual renewal date so it took a couple of months for me to notice it).  Then the bastards tried to again silently auto-renew it again when that policy ran out.

I'd love to say I've never darkened their door since, but given that they seem to own about 3/4 of the industry it's kinda hard to avoid them.

So, whats been going on chez hmc?

Well this scruffy Daimler keeps getting better with  every use, pulls better, runs better and im getting quite slick with the pre selector gearbox, which im finding to be astonishingly clever.

IMG_3925.thumb.jpeg.616b79df2a1e1ab2ace9928cb1ee3a48.jpeg

Also as you may have read, the limo has sold to another shiter for its purchase cost. I’ll leave them to do a reveal when the time comes.

And after a browse about ive decided to replace it with a ‘91 mexican beetle which is solid where it counts and has actual, rather than faked patina…..

IMG_3917.thumb.png.25945d9b05a4ddd937d6677b397d9f33.png

IMG_3924.thumb.png.6e2a627da7a8f6d07ea15163ca2c7c62.png

IMG_3920.thumb.png.f72e4037bc49c627fe9b75f6301ab36a.png

• HMC changed the title to HMC - goodbye limo, hello …….. ?
4 minutes ago, bunglebus said:

Proper car at last! If you're really quick you can take it to VW Action this weekend

Why would they want a Daimler at VW Action?  Does not compute. :-) 

That Beetle belonged to a mate of mine until a few months ago, before that it had been laid up in a garage in Plymouth for a few years! Will be good to see it in use

• Like 5