"Autoshite High Mileage Club" - Memberships Available!

BorniteIdentity

My T2 has done about 175,000 miles, I bought it with 47,000.

Now I appreciate that this isn't massive, as recounted elsewhere in this thread my 944 has done almost 300,000.

However, I do believe that for an air-cooled VW engine this is little short of spectacular, I don't think they were designed to do anything like that mileage,

TBH it's about fucked though, and struggles on hills that once it used to romp up. I am planning to replace the engine over the winter months.

Volvo D5s should easily top 300k with good maintenance. They do in Scandinavia routinely. My LWB 4.0 X300 Jaaaag is still perfectly ok at 278 000 miles. Shame it doesn't show on the clocks as the dash was changed at some point. You really wouldn't notice the mileage, it's been the most reliable car ever I've had. The only thing that has needed fixing so far was a water pump for the heater and that only cost £10. I really should treat it to a service as I have the full. The parts are waiting on a shelf.

Sadly no longer in my ownership, and nothing compared to many, but my 98 Xantia 1.9TD was on 206K miles when sold and still drove, rode and sounded like a brand new car. A few scrapes and some peeling clearcoat really were the only significant signs of age. Even the cloth on the driver's seat bolster was still perfect, which in many cases seems to be the first bit of an interior to show wear.

Saab is just over 133K, and does have a few signs of wear, mostly just rust in the usual C900 spots...mechanically she still went like a train until recently - and hopefully will again once the head gasket has been changed. That let go in quite spectacular fashion a couple of months back and overnight dumped the entire contents of the cooling system into the sump overnight. Suffice to say, several flushes happened immediately when that was found the following morning before she was parked up in the corner to wait for repair.

My uncle had a mk4 Cortina estate 2.0GL that had well over 200k miles on it. He'd had it from nearly new and used to change the oil very regularly so it kept its original engine until the end.

Eventually rust got it so he sold it to some gypsies cheap. A few weeks later it's heavily stripped remains were seen left in the middle of a field they'd been camping in!

I hope that wasn't recently? Even rotten Cortinas are worth £1K these days...

• 2 weeks later...

I'd say that you'd pay considerably less repairing and maintaining a 2005 Getz with a 1.1 petrol over 430k than you would an [insert generic diesel white good here] of the same age.

Indeed, no dual mass whirly bits and soot particle cloggers to drain your wallet.

Which is odd as commuting big mileages these days requires a leased diesel german status symbol preferably in white (as everyone knows)