"Autoshite High Mileage Club" - Memberships Available!

BorniteIdentity

• 2 weeks later...

12.6 miles every hour of the year, that is some usage.

I'm not entirely sure that's even possible. An average 304 miles every single day of the year? That would have to have shift drivers running it 24/7 every day.

..and to do that with a Lexus that is going to manage, what, 25ish mpg doing taxi work? That's about £25k of fuel for the year. Surely if there's an expectation of doing that sort of miles it would be done in something much more economic. Something doing even just 45mpg would drop that annual fuel bill by over ten grand! Do that two years running and you've just bought a new car.

So you either run the Lexus, or buy a new car every two years on the fuel you save by not doing so. Bonkers. Especially when it looks very much like it wasn't a taxi until 2011, so someone bought a 14 year old Lexus V8 to do 80-100k miles a year? Double Bonkers.

Executive airport taxi I reckon, it's a car that'll do 30MPG+ on a motorway run

I reckon you'd get 35mpg on a long 65mph run.

DW got an average 30mpg with his, so I'd say 32MPG is about the best you could ever hope for, especially including a bit of bimbling about

That's still over twenty grand on fuel for a year. Twentyfuckinggrand! (although given that taxis seem to cost about £8 a mile, maybe the fuel bill was irrelevant compared to the income it generated)

I'm not entirely sure that's even possible. An average 304 miles every single day of the year? That would have to have shift drivers running it 24/7 every day...and to do that with a Lexus that is going to manage, what, 25ish mpg doing taxi work? That's about £25k of fuel for the year. Surely if there's an expectation of doing that sort of miles it would be done in something much more economic. Something doing even just 45mpg would drop that annual fuel bill by over ten grand! Do that two years running and you've just bought a new car.So you either run the Lexus, or buy a new car every two years on the fuel you save by not doing so. Bonkers. Especially when it looks very much like it wasn't a taxi until 2011, so someone bought a 14 year old Lexus V8 to do 80-100k miles a year? Double Bonkers.

As a taxi, every penny spent on fuel is deductible ( less a nominal 5%, if used privately) The fact this hasn't had annual haircuts, points to someone doing it by the book and declaring everything, therefore claiming for everything. Running costs matter much less than reliability if you've got a regular ( maybe 300 miles per day) contract to fulfill.

That 111,0000 iis making me jealous, my personal best is 101,000 ( in a Galaxy) and I can't think of a better car to do it in, than a V8 petrol ,if only my Local Authority hadnt got a 6 year limit. Oh, and I don't have a regular contract.

Just checked my diary and of the of the last 25 days only 2 were less than 400 miles, hell I'd done 300 today before 07.00( although, no more work until tomorrow,now)

I'd be surprised if WTC doesn't come close to this annual mileage, now he's got new car payments to incentivise him.

if only my Local Authority hadnt got a 6 year limit.

That's quite common though isn't it? When I used to work in Winchester, the local taxi drivers all used to complain about their 6-year limit on the age of private-hire vehicles.. They had a nice little workaround though, as aparently due to the way the council checked the cars, if you had one that was registered at a certain time of year, you could get almost 6.5 years out of a car instead of just 6.

I'm not entirely sure that's even possible. An average 304 miles every single day of the year? That would have to have shift drivers running it 24/7 every day.

..and to do that with a Lexus that is going to manage, what, 25ish mpg doing taxi work? That's about £25k of fuel for the year. Surely if there's an expectation of doing that sort of miles it would be done in something much more economic. Something doing even just 45mpg would drop that annual fuel bill by over ten grand! Do that two years running and you've just bought a new car.

So you either run the Lexus, or buy a new car every two years on the fuel you save by not doing so. Bonkers. Especially when it looks very much like it wasn't a taxi until 2011, so someone bought a 14 year old Lexus V8 to do 80-100k miles a year? Double Bonkers.

Maybe the owner calculated that it was more cost-effective to get 25mpg than to get 60mpg with several weeks off the road and a £2k bill every couple of months. If he had a regular gig he might not have wanted to risk losing it due to common rail meltdown.

• 4 weeks later...

On the way back from Cannock earlier the LS400 ticked past a nice milestone...just 25k to the big 200.

post-19970-0-49844900-1540661374_thumb.jpg

I couldn't capture the moment properly because the weather went biblically shit on the way back, which, when combined with Saturday-50mph-M6-roadwork drivers made the trip back a little stressful.

As a taxi, every penny spent on fuel is deductible ( less a nominal 5%, if used privately) The fact this hasn't had annual haircuts, points to someone doing it by the book and declaring everything, therefore claiming for everything. Running costs matter much less than reliability if you've got a regular ( maybe 300 miles per day) contract to fulfill.

That 111,0000 iis making me jealous, my personal best is 101,000 ( in a Galaxy) and I can't think of a better car to do it in, than a V8 petrol ,if only my Local Authority hadnt got a 6 year limit. Oh, and I don't have a regular contract.

Just checked my diary and of the of the last 25 days only 2 were less than 400 miles, hell I'd done 300 today before 07.00( although, no more work until tomorrow,now)

I'd be surprised if WTC doesn't come close to this annual mileage, now he's got new car payments to incentivise him.

I bank on doing between 65-70,000 a year. 

The thing about those long distance contract jobs is that the mileage rate is subsidised. I'd be surprised if he was running at more than a quid a mile and wherever he's dropped it's unlikely that he got a return job so I'd wager that he's run that Lexus at a real cost of about 65p per mile and had to pay all his expenses out of that. I sincerely hope he had a good source of used tyres and was able to do basic servicing himself. Any 20 year old car would attract the attention of VOSA at their regular airport checks so I'm surprised he's hung onto it for so long.