Well the fear is subsiding, so I went to the tip

post-5612-0-41728100-1487507708_thumb.jpg

When I got back, I decided for no reason at all to look at the lhm filters

post-5612-0-21466400-1487507743_thumb.jpg

Which was nice to see, I thought they would be gopping tbh

post-5612-0-46807900-1487507771_thumb.jpg

This was as bad as it got, which isn't bad at all. I just refitted it tbh

post-5612-0-80164600-1487507803_thumb.jpg

Lhm looks lovely too. Shame I want to drain it all out and fill it with hydraflush! I'll put it in the fuel tank though so it isn't wasted!

post-5612-0-92594200-1487507847_thumb.jpg

Its a bit foamy though, noticed it when I took the cover off, and firing it up made bubbles immediatly happen

post-5612-0-19650100-1487507882_thumb.jpg

They cleared quite quickly though.

So that's nice, just need to sort the height correctors out (hydraflush might do that) and get the spheres tested. It's very very very slow to rise from low, so much so I get bored after a few minutes and pop it in high which wakes it up, then drop down to low.

All in all, it's just lovely at the moment!

So, tyres...

Current state of play, the rears have ancient tyres, pretty much to the wear markers, and one is a bit perished, but actually not too cracked.

The fronts have lots of tread, however the drivers side has heavy cracking around the inner of the tyre all the way around, and the passenger is a good part worn that's not balanced. I want to change them all eventually, but can't afford that in one hit at the moment.

I was trying to potter through until I could change them all, but over the last few weeks the handling has gone a bit shite. It wobbles all over the lane at speed, has a steering wheel shake at most speeds and generally doesn't feel great. The road noise is also terrible, especially from the front, it crashes over broken road surfaces, and I can feel every little bump, it's not far off what the ZX felt like with it's shagged out volcane suspension (although most of that will be spheres/lhm related I know), although when I get the back to sit right with application of the uppy downy lever it's a bit better until it drops again (really must sort that)

What would shiters do:

A - Leave the rears as they are for now, replace both fronts (with balancing etc)

B - Swap the fronts to the rears, so the rears have the good tread but badly balanced and heavily cracked tyres, and get the really low ones replaced and still have good tread on the front?

C - Do nothing and carry on...

I'm going for new tyres, I count it as a treat, and doing 280 miles a week, quite like the idea that they will last a while. Popped round to the local tyre place at lunchtime and they do budget for £55 fitted or mid range for £65 fitted. I could probably pull £110/£130 out of my arse, I have £160 worth of dysons waiting for their owners to collect them sat at home, so it'll only be a short term poor period if I get them done tomorrow on payday...

I'm not 100% convinced that will cure my steering oddness, but it's got to help, and as it needs tyres anyway it seems a logical place to start.  Hopefully the increased road noise and crashiness is part to do with old, less pliable tyres. I won't get the tracking done, it ever so slightly wafts to the left, but only on some roads and I think that's more down to the roads themselves. Steering wheel is as good as straight.

185/65/15.

Not a bad shout actually, tyre leader prices are quite good. The place by work will charge £10 a tyre though, so it quickly becomes only a bit more to just drop the car off in the morning and pick it up in the evening.

Unless any of my local shiter bretherin (south oxon/aylesbury/wycombe) know of anywhere to get them fitted? Might make a post on facebook

I know when I did the ZX from tyreleader I only saved about £6 per wheel, which was almost not worth it, but I can get these nice looking things

https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres/nexen/n-blue-hd/185-65-r15-88t-229603

or these for a bit less

https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres/westlake/rp28/185-65-r15-88h-557972

mmmmmm

I would avoid the Westlakes FO'SHO, I have got these on my Berlingo and the wife's Alfa and they're pretty good for the price.

https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres/uniroyal/rainexpert-3/185-65-r15-88t-79919

Ask what budget tyres you get from the local for £55 each, if they're super-shonk no names then that's pretty poor value.

I pay £7 a tyre fitting up here so £10 down there probably isn't too bad. 

The other thing you can try is to use the tyreleader prices to bargain with your local tyre hut - I got some for slightly less than tyreleader + fitting from a place near me once.

I had rainexperts on the ZX and although they were good, they wore properly quickly on the front, can only imagine their a bit worse on a heavier car... The price is good though...

We had westlake on the Meriva when we got it new (I treat it as the tyres on it were all different and well worn, one's still on it now) and I found them OK tbh.

I tried bartering my local place down before, when I got the ZX done and they couldn't match it, but were happy fitting it.

I think internet is the way forward tbh, I just need to decide what tyre to go for! I've asked on our local facebook chatter group incase someone knows a bloke on an industrial estate who will do it for a fiver or something

Are you looking for quality or cheap ones? Cheapest fully fitted is £37.50 each that i can see. For Rovello with a 4* rating. Barum are coming in at £47.09 from tyreshopper. You buy and pay online and then arrange a time with your local National (may be others) and the tyres are delivered there and fitted. Used them for the Shuma twice and the old Santa Fe.

In my daily Mondeo which I use to do similar mileage a week bombing up and down the motorway in all weathers I put decent tyres on it, I just had to have two new Bridgestones on the front which I managed to get for £75 each (225/40/18) - mate who works in a tyre place etc

For occasional use vehicles that only do a couple of thousand miles a year in the sunshine then mid range/Chinese death rings suffice.

It's a personal/budgetary choice, I weigh it up on the mileage I'll be doing and the likelihood of me being killed if one lets go. For doing big miles the extra on a decent brand probably pays off, or at least works out equal in the long run

Are you looking for quality or cheap ones? Cheapest fully fitted is £37.50 each that i can see. For Rovello with a 4* rating. Barum are coming in at £47.09 from tyreshopper. You buy and pay online and then arrange a time with your local National (may be others) and the tyres are delivered there and fitted. Used them for the Shuma twice and the old Santa Fe.

I've seen some decent Avons for £48 fitted on Tyreshopper which is what I'd go for. If it's through National they'll often fit at home/office for no additional charge, though it depends on whereabouts in the country you are.

I'm certainly aiming for something in the middle. I'm not going to shod it in tyres that cost more than the car did, but equally I'm not going for £22 per tyre chinese plastic. Hence why I'm looking at either the Nexens, or the Unisports, I've had the unisport before, and they were bloody ace, but a tad fast wearing, hence I might go for a change.

But then anything is probably better than what's on there before, even happy chinese tyre factory specials.

I'll see how I feel tomorrow, but the Nexen's are top choice at the moment, although aren't those what caused JohnK to roll his vectra last year?

I've seen some decent Avons for £48 fitted on Tyreshopper which is what I'd go for. If it's through National they'll often fit at home/office for no additional charge, though it depends on whereabouts in the country you are.

Their a good shout, just found them. By the time I buy from tyreleader and spend £10 each on fitting I can waft up to aylesbury on the weekend, spend £1.98 or £8.90 more and fuck off to tesco and have a shit fry up whilst I wait...

Then do the same again next month.

I'll talk to Amy tonight, get shouted at for spending money we don't have (which isn't true, we do, I made it from Dysons so it's free money) and get it sorted...

If you are going to start changing tyres you better pick up the spare wheel from me if you want keep the good part worn as a spare.

The wheel size figure for the spare I have according to Citroen is 5,50 J15 H2 4-8 against 5,50 J15 H2 4-15 for your one. Wheel sizes are not my strong point I'm guessing the 4-8 vs 4-15 is a slight difference in offset so probably best not to mix the wheels other than as a spare? Worth asking how much to put the 'good' removed tyre onto another wheel you'd then have a better spare.

Off topic it was the thermostat stuck open on the Meriva.

If you are going to start changing tyres you better pick up the spare wheel from me if you want keep the good part worn as a spare.

The wheel size figure for the spare I have according to Citroen is 5,50 J15 H2 4-8 against 5,50 J15 H2 4-15 for your one. Wheel sizes are not my strong point I'm guessing the 4-8 vs 4-15 is a slight difference in offset so probably best not to mix the wheels other than as a spare? Worth asking how much to put the 'good' removed tyre onto another wheel you'd then have a better spare.

Off topic it was the thermostat stuck open on the Meriva.

That's a good point actually, I'd forgotten about that, I'll see what the staff at national tyres are like and if they have a beer fund... I know nothing about wheel sizes either, apart from they need to be the same size over the axle or the MOT man tuts...

Really? Bloody euro car parts, I changed that with the cambelt. Hope it's not done too much damage, and at least it was an easy fix. Heaters hot now?

Really? Bloody euro car parts, I changed that with the cambelt. Hope it's not done too much damage, and at least it was an easy fix. Heaters hot now?

Temperature looks OK, the heater is better but still not that hot compared to other cars I've had. The plastic outlet on the old thermostat housing broke off when I was removing the small hose, shows the quality of the ECP part.

Yes I priced 2 up, £28. Wonder how hard the job is, at least if I do mine first yours should be easier!

FCF bloke said flat spheres are the root cause as other parts of the car are absorbing the bumps, but hopefully the cheaper parts will last long enough to not break before I have a look at spheres and stuff

Worth shopping around. I got missus moogs focus tyres through National - Winter Avons rouhgly same size for about £49 fitted 

Tyres on space hopper were odd size but fitted Avons Z S I think for £200 for all four through asda tyres. 

That could describe any job on any car though. When I changed the bottom balljoints on the Meriva I went round to a mates house and he got his dads big fuck off angle grinder with a disc bigger than my head to grind the rivets off holding the old ones on!

So, tyres...

Current state of play, the rears have ancient tyres, pretty much to the wear markers, and one is a bit perished, but actually not too cracked.

The fronts have lots of tread, however the drivers side has heavy cracking around the inner of the tyre all the way around, and the passenger is a good part worn that's not balanced. I want to change them all eventually, but can't afford that in one hit at the moment.

I was trying to potter through until I could change them all, but over the last few weeks the handling has gone a bit shite. It wobbles all over the lane at speed, has a steering wheel shake at most speeds and generally doesn't feel great. The road noise is also terrible, especially from the front, it crashes over broken road surfaces, and I can feel every little bump, it's not far off what the ZX felt like with it's shagged out volcane suspension (although most of that will be spheres/lhm related I know), although when I get the back to sit right with application of the uppy downy lever it's a bit better until it drops again (really must sort that)

What would shiters do:

A - Leave the rears as they are for now, replace both fronts (with balancing etc)

B - Swap the fronts to the rears, so the rears have the good tread but badly balanced and heavily cracked tyres, and get the really low ones replaced and still have good tread on the front?

C - Do nothing and carry on...

I'm going for new tyres, I count it as a treat, and doing 280 miles a week, quite like the idea that they will last a while. Popped round to the local tyre place at lunchtime and they do budget for £55 fitted or mid range for £65 fitted. I could probably pull £110/£130 out of my arse, I have £160 worth of dysons waiting for their owners to collect them sat at home, so it'll only be a short term poor period if I get them done tomorrow on payday...

I'm not 100% convinced that will cure my steering oddness, but it's got to help, and as it needs tyres anyway it seems a logical place to start.  Hopefully the increased road noise and crashiness is part to do with old, less pliable tyres. I won't get the tracking done, it ever so slightly wafts to the left, but only on some roads and I think that's more down to the roads themselves. Steering wheel is as good as straight.

F1 Autocentres have ditch finders for £34 each fully fitted. Something decent like Firestones/Yokohama its £42 or £47. Uniroyals from them are £51 each.

As minimum I'd get the rears done. I put ditch finders on the back of the Saab. Yes they're no Pirelli, but actually were not that lethal. I'd much rather have cheap ditch finders than old, perished part-worns any day.

Last time I looked at part-worns around here (Bristol), all the stock was of varying age - most of them old. I personally don't like to use any tyre older than 5 years.

The Roadster has the same front tyres on it that came out of the factory (i.e. 2003 date coded)! They are cracking up a fair amount and I feel far too un-easy driving on them anywhere more than either around the block or to nearest F1 Autocentres always has been the cheapest I've found) to get them changed.

One vote for the rears! (then flip them round to the front I presume?) I've not actually checked the date codes yet, I'll do that.

I have nothing against part words really, I've used them alot in the past. But I found that the quality got less and less, went from 1/4 used mitchelins for £20 to 3/4 used whatever, and they only lasted 6 months before needing replacement. Then we all found tyre leader and it was a no Brainer to get new for £15 more and have them last much, much longer. The avons from tyreshopper are winning atm from a cost/ease perspective, but I got busy at work this afternoon so haven't done much more looking tbh