Six Cylinders Motoring Notes

Six-cylinder

3 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

IMG_20240411_181524 broad.jpg

I think you'll need more than just that can of WD40 to get it going!

6 hours ago, Shite Ron said:

Great to see progress on the Royale too, another interesting car and yours is in the best colour too. One day I hope I can attend a FOD event.

We were disappointed that we could not get a spark from the Royale's ignition system so yesterday I put the bat Royale symbol in the sky to summon a local retired Auto sparks. 

9am this morning at the FoD he spotted the problem in 5 minutes. The coil feed wires, both run ballast and starter fed 12v had been cut off and we had plugged in an unknown alternative wire.

He added a wire to repair the damage and get the feed to the coil and we have good healthy starks.

Next stage is a bit of testing with easy start to see if it will run.

z bat call broad.jpg

IMG_20240412_091755 broad.jpg

10 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

The trouble is that it is a project that needs a lot of welding

Welding schmelding.  MOT exempt innit - get it running and drive it as it is.  You won't even need to worry about the brakes - just stick a foot through the floor and stop it that way.

That must be one of the last of those with 10" wheels - my B-plater was on 12", which made tyres easier to find.  Mind you I'm sure you could borrow* a couple off the Invacar if need be.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, wuvvum said:

That must be one of the last of those with 10" wheels - my B-plater was on 12", which made tyres easier to find.  Mind you I'm sure you could borrow* a couple off the Invacar if need be.

I have already had my card marked about stealing the wheels from an Invacar!🙂

OMFG.

Still, on the bright side, it makes the Royale/Saab 95/Error 404/other random project look more or less mint. 

Re the Royale, a recent purchase of several 70s Autocar mags included one with a road test of the first Senator, and from this I discovered they had different engines!  Another ‘I never knew that’ factoid. The Royale had a 2.5 whilst the Senator had a 3.0.  Even this road test, whilst it loved the Senator, did wonder if the extra cost (£1544, a significant amount of money in 1978) over the Vauxhall was really worth it. 

This afternoon Colin came round and we stripped the interior of my Mini. Yes it needs some repairs but is not quite as bad as I expected.

The seats are very good under those seat covers. Yes that is a welly boot stuck to the seat cover.

The bad news is the engine is stuck. We put WD40 into the plug holes and see if that helps.

IMG_20240413_145956 broad.jpg

IMG_20240413_150533 broad.jpg

IMG_20240413_155607 broad.jpg

IMG_20240413_170853 broad.jpg

IMG_20240413_171004 broad.jpg

IMG_20240413_170941 broad.jpg

1 hour ago, AnthonyG said:

and from this I discovered they had different engines!  Another ‘I never knew that’ factoid. The Royale had a 2.5 whilst the Senator had a 3.0. 

club badge needs to be returned

even peeps with basic knowledge know this :P

@Skizzer told me

*runs

34 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

This afternoon Colin came round and we stripped the interior of my Mini. Yes it needs some repairs but is not quite as bad as I expected.

even @GingerNuttz would hide?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

Re the Royale, a recent purchase of several 70s Autocar mags included one with a road test of the first Senator, and from this I discovered they had different engines!  Another ‘I never knew that’ factoid. The Royale had a 2.5 whilst the Senator had a 3.0.  

54 minutes ago, hairnet said:

club badge needs to be returned

even peeps with basic knowledge know this :P

@Skizzer told me

*runs

The Royale had a 2.8 — the facelift ones had a choice of 2.5 or 3.0, by which time they were all Vauxhall Senators and the Royale badge was reserved for a burger with cheese.

The 3.0E Opel probably was worth the extra, tbh, but to me the Royale was better looking with its chunky bumper overriders and neater rear end treatment (fnarr).  The facelift ones are even more handsome of course.

Have a couple of bonus pics of my Royale.

IMG_4216.jpeg

IMG_2996.jpeg

So where does the Monza fit into this? 

We take the piss out of BL product overlap but late 70s Vauxhall/Opel was bonkers. 

On 12/04/2024 at 09:35, beko1987 said:

Oooh that's good then, would it be worth removing it all, cleaning and putting it in the container? 

Would the bolts even need undoing it would Charlie just be able to lift the seats out runners and all😂

On 12/04/2024 at 08:06, beko1987 said:

Oh it looks lovely*. Forgive me if I pass on sitting in it when we clean it out and assess it/you have a little cry 

Charlie would have had to get out his tool kit to get the seats out!

The interior is now out so you won't have to sit on it!

The interior is in the container now.

If you ever have any time I could open the FoD for interior cleaning.

IMG_20240413_145306 broad.jpg

IMG_20240413_155607 crop interior broad.jpg

IMG_20240413_155552 broad.jpg

IMG_20240413_164436 broad.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Those carpets might be better done at the house with the pressure washer and vax like we did the rolls carpets on a sunny weekend! 

If you could mount a length of wood in the outside of the garage or the house we could use that to hang them up and wash them vertically! Or use the bonnet of the range rover

• Like 2

Happy to bring the petrol pressure washer along to a future FoD gathering (or on request) if it's useful.  

• Like 2

I am not ashamed to admit I have put Mini carpets in the washing machine before. On a delicate wash no spin. They came out lovely

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tommyboy12 said:

I am not ashamed to admit I have put Mini carpets in the washing machine before. On a delicate wash no spin. They came out lovely

Have done the same with 2cv seat covers too. They’re already awful, so what’s the worse that can happen?

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Happy to bring the petrol pressure washer along to a future FoD gathering (or on request) if it's useful.  

I'd say it could be. We could go round blowing the winter off the cars that would take such treatment and clearing drain holes/runs etc! Be easier than kicking my little nilfisk around with power and the generator 

• Like 1

Sad day, my 480ES has been collected, but the number of £325 tax cars we have is excessive so some have to go.

It is staying on the forum, but I will let the new owner reveal himself.

Update:

@robinmasters has now revealed he was the buyer of the 480.

IMG_20240415_131438 broad.jpg

2 hours ago, hairnet said:

Thought @Peter C had bought a shopping car already

Shopping car? Not me guv.

My latest car was the envy of every rep that attended the 1988 National Double Glazing Sales & Installation Federation roadshow, which took place in a Crossroads style hotel somewhere in the east Midlands on a rainy Wednesday afternoon.

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Saying goodbye to a fleet member!
On 13/04/2024 at 19:20, Six-cylinder said:

This afternoon Colin came round and we stripped the interior of my Mini. 

IMG_20240413_170853 broad.jpg

IMG_20240413_170941 broad.jpg

Looks like the passenger door might about 10 years older than the rest of the car! I think the colour is Limeflower, a popular early/mid 1970s choice. 

5 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

Looks like the passenger door might about 10 years older than the rest of the car! I think the colour is Limeflower, a popular early/mid 1970s choice. 

I would have said it was Applejack, which came in with the Metro (I think).

This Place!

I asked for some axle stands off "Trash for nothing" and was told they were gone. I have now had a message that said they were not collected and I can take them. Trouble was I am not planning to go back to Milton Keynes until Thursday so I asked for help.

15mins later they were safely collected.

Thank you @Zelandeth

IMG_20240416_131534.jpg.8ad73dd5446592a9b858dcf87750940d.jpg

Last night was a local Triumph Club meeting, 20 people but not one Triumph showed up. We did get a 1936 Frazernash and a Volvo 940!

IMG_20240416_200450 broad.jpg

20 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

15mins later they were safely collected.

Thank you @Zelandeth

In style too. 😎

• Agree 2