Cavalier Coupe Collected

RobT

Off work today, so I gave the Calibra a thorough clean and rejuvinated the plastics with Autoglym Bumper Care as they were a bit faded. It now looks loads better (sorry for lack of pics). I had a look underneath and the chassis legs look solid, as does everywhere else.

The front NS tyre was almost flat this morning and I noticed the valve leaking air, so took it to my local tyre gaff and they replaced the valve pin FOC. I thought that might be the pulling to left problem sorted, but it's still doing it (albeit to a lesser extent) so will have my friendly mechanic have a look at it next month when I'll have some spare cash.

swap front tyres left and right see if it pulls the other way

I thought the tool eater 8v auto was your dream spec Billy!?

I don't think they suit automatics, they're the wrong sort of car for that box. An early, pre-facelift one is a mega find though and I'm extremely jealous.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I've seen this Calibra. I've twice passed on the way to work coming the other way and almost stuffed my car in astonishment at it still wearing early 90s trims. Always wanted to get a photo but couldn't. Great that it's now on the forum and a proper bargain, nice one!

I've very nearly bought this on two occasions! Once I was second bidder, second time Six months or so later I was high bidder and it was pulled early for whatever reason and didn't re appear.

Great buy!

It'll be for sale again soon Dave if you fancy it. My first drunken ebay purchase of 2015 is surplus to requirements really, so best I move it on. My friendly mechanic is sorting out the pulling to the left issue next week, and I'm hoping he might be interested as he has a penchant for shit old Vauxhalls!

• 2 weeks later...

After a very short tenure in the fleet, this is now heading up towards Volvoland in the hands of CortinaDave. He flew down from Edinburgh this afternoon and is hopefully well on his way up the M1. ETA the small hours, plus he's on early shift tomorrow. Another HARD SCOTCH SHITER. Bloody nice bloke too, cheers!

After getting mildly lost around SE London I found the M25 and pointed the nose north.

literally as the trip counter flipped to 500 miles exactly I pulled into my drive this morning at 3:20am after a completely hassle free journey  (except for the miles and miles and miles of roadworks,50mph limits and average speed cameras on the M1 which was a bit soul destroying with so many miles ahead of me)

2 hours sleep later I got back up and I'm now at work powered by coffee and red bull.

Bloody delighted with the it, it drives really well and is incredibly tidy for a 24 year old motor. Happy days!

70 quid of fuel for 500 miles. Not bad for a 2 litre auto

As a 2 time repeat customer of Robt motors (sarf london branch) I have to say their pre sales prep shames most main agents. Glad it's gone to a good home!

I let myself down a bit yesterday though Matthew, as I'd left putting the radio back in until the last moment.  What should be a simple job meant grappling to get the old cage out, which Dave did himself whilst I handed over tools and generally got in the way.

Gads, I had no idea these went back that far. I remember when they came out when I was a kid and the low drag advertising campaign with the side-on shot. It looked really aerodynamic compared to everything else on the road. And as a kid they were all turbocharged and 4WD, we didn't know some of them were 2-litres of Heather Mills spec.

eventos_1ENMC_gl_01_30.jpg

YES

Well I'm really pretty chuffed with this. Since bringing it up to Fife from the costa del RobT its been in daily use. My commute at the moment is only five miles or so but its had two trips up to Aberdeen completely hassle free.

Put it up on the ramps at a friend's garage and had a good prod about. No sign of any welding ever, and a recent timing belt/waterpump and full underseal job by one of its previous keepers.

Someone's clearly loved this car dearly. It even has genuine GM wiper blades.

Theres a minor wheelbearing grumble to address at some point and the cat and back box are pretty rusty... being a J Reg I plan to just fit a non cat system.

I think ill hang on to this a while. My cavalier's now been sold on to occasional autoshiter mrbuffs and has moved a whole half mile along the road so im pleased it stays nearby too.

the only rain on my parade was when I was sitting in a pub with a mate, talking about how rare it was now..

When right on cue a red K plater cruised past the window.

He chuckled at the coincidence. An hour later we left the pub and a blue S plater (NEVER seen one that late before) was parked neatly in the car park. Gah!

post-212-0-35240100-1426006011_thumb.png