Horrible van for a horrible person

Lacquer Peel

Hey crew! I swapped my Skoda Fabia SDi for a Japanese mid-engined rear-wheel drive two-seater with a 2.3 OHC engine, sounds exciting eh?

fUwXzTa.jpg

"Oh." :-(

7NkrntF.jpg

The ICE installation looks factory.

EjPoVOb.jpg

It needs a few things for the MOT in a few weeks - left handbrake cable, wheel cylinder and exhaust bodging, but one fix was free and easy.

RyMfHju.jpg

WCTwpPe.jpg

The engine resides under the seats in a thoughtful piece of design, it's a lot more accessible than conventional vans with their engines buried under scuttles and against bulkheads. The valve cover gasket leaks a bit of oil, I don't know when the timing belt was last changed, I am scared to look at it, but it's supposed to be a 1-2 hour job. It is distantly related to the Datsun 240Z engine.

With a new fuel filter replacing the one that looked original, it loves the veg.

It drives pretty well considering the terrible reputation these things have based on the similar Serena being an unacceptable passenger car. It's no speed machine but like all old diesels it plods along well once it's up to speed. It understeers horribly at "helmsman" speeds, might be down to the teflon 185R14Cs, but at sedate speeds it's a decent drive, seems stable and safe.

hbnHHX8.jpg

Even with 1t* of hardwood in the back.

I looked at buying a few vans before this one, including overpriced 'Tw4t' Transporters - the basic engines in them are just as lacklustre as the Vanette's, but they are 2-3 times the money in similar condition. MENTAL.

Plans? Tidy up, service, use to help renovate house/garden, collect free sofas on gumtree, deliver firewood to mutha_ and granny_Peel.

Nice* van there. It certainly does LACK APPEAL [/pun]. Does look from your first photo as if the front end's partaking in a bit of belming.

It seems like the Spanish built Serenas and Vanettes were a bit of an anomaly from what I can work out, as they seemed to run LD23 engines, which as you say is distantly related to the 240Z. Looks like most of the Japanese ones ran CD series engines and there's plenty of them knocking about over here. Anyway, if Wikipedia is to be believed, all LD series engines ceased production in the mid-80s but there's no mention of an LD23 at all on the L-series page. Either way, I reckon you'd be warmly welcomed at the US-based Nissan Diesel forum, which caters for like-minded diesel foamers:

http://nissandiesel.dyndns.org/

Looks like I may be an antipodean version of you, what with using my LD-engined wagon to gather wood. A farmer mate told me of a tree that had fallen down in his paddock which I was welcome to cut up and here's what I found:

IMG_02902_zpsef46eede.jpg

My piddly 16" bar didn't do it much justice but some of the lesser branches kept us warm for most of the winter. I agree with your comments about acceleration and speed, though I do wish mine was turbocharged, as it's all mouth and no trousers, really. I think the cone air filter is pretty badly placed tbh, so I'll look to re-route it, as it seems to be down on power since fitting but has worked wonders on the brake pedal feel, since it must offer a better vacuum. Anyway, until today, I'd only heard mine running from outside once before, so I made a little video. If you want to hear what a straight six LD28 with a mildly silly exhaust sounds like, click here

"Autoshite - Your means of moving some goods about is our concern."

These things and their Serena siblings have a sort of woeful appeal about them. Like a puppy with three legs or something.

When I was growing up we had a Serena for a bit which earned the nickname "Cabbage" on account of it being green, rotund and a bit unpleasant but we liked it more with time and were a bit sorry to see it go really.

This one looks like it'll serve you well.