The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

A mate came round earlier and we had a fun afternoon balancing the carbs on his 600 bandit and my ZZR.

If it had been warmer and we'd went for a ride afterwards it would have been a perfect day

2659484dafd9a063b7e7967e82a4db56.jpg

Bandit nice and easy to work on, ZZR requires half dismantled to get near the carbs........

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Stripped some more bits off mine & cleaned stuff. No point trying to fit loads of new parts when it's 1/2" thick in mud.

Here's a photo of £290 worth* of Suzuki parts to prove they are a rip off.

20170205_134008_zpsdc5afz4o.jpg

Someone here has a Tomos moped... UW?? 10 hours to go on this lot, no opening bid at £15:

s-l1600.jpg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/tomos-moped-spares-/272538963980

I've just won this for the opening bid, just in case he didn't see it and/or I can be arsed to list it all separately on eBay for $$.

UltraWomble, its yours if you want as I really have sufficient scrap, drop me a message if you're keen.

Balancing throttle bodies is no better, it's exactly the same job. I'll be doing mine when I start putting things back together.

Speaking of which, we once got a bike back from a shop that'd rebuilt it into a new frame & it was only running on two. They were claiming it's four hours work to check the throttle bodies & it probably needs new ones anyway. My answer was something along the lines of 'bollocks' took 45 mines to get them out, balance them by eye (had about 1/4" diff left to right) refit & balance them properly. Nothing wrong with them at all.

I've just won this for the opening bid, just in case he didn't see it and/or I can be arsed to list it all separately on eBay for $$.

UltraWomble, its yours if you want as I really have sufficient scrap, drop me a message if you're keen.

That's two listings for big piles of crap I've posted on here that you've ended up buying... sorry 'bout that :oops:

That's two listings for big piles of crap I've posted on here that you've ended up buying... sorry 'bout that :oops:

To be honest, if I do have to go through with the purchase I will surely be quids in if I can summon the effort to list it all separately on ebay.

Really though, I'm hoping UltraWomble will save me as my garage is a bit borderline on capacity already.

I purchased a 600 Bandit a few months ago, rode it to work, and its been there ever since. Spoke to my (Suzuki trained) mechanic mate about having the carbs stripped and cleaned, as it feels horrible in its fuel delivery and it has A2 restrictor in which need taking out. I thought it would be easy, seeing as it's "old school" but no. He said its a bastard of a job and will be three hours labour (including balancing).

On two brighter notes, I got my Guzzi back after a rather expensive clutch change (if they start to slip, get it changed, don't ride it for another 6,000 miles, shagging out every clutch component going). And the roads were dry so managed to get 60 miles on the Cagiva Mito. All ok, but as I'm running it in, I have to chage up just as the power valve is opening up. Sweet motor still, and surprising big, very similar riding position as the new Fireblade.

Tomos - as sold in the Littlewoods catalogue.

Balancing carbs on a sportsbike can be a PITA - when I had my gsxr 750 done the mechanic simply said "never again."

Balancing carbs isn't difficult in itself if you've got a half decent set of gauges, the problems occur when the carbs themselves get worn making the process more drawn out.

For example, my '98 600 Bandit was low milage (4K when bought 20K when sold) and I could do the carbs in minutes, it took longer to strip off the tank/panels etc for access than do the job. Whereas my '97 Bandit 1200 was 40K+ when bought and the carbs were in a worse state so required a more iterative approach as adjusting one pair threw the other pair etc..

People tend to adjust carbs in the wrong order too & make life hard for themselves. It's normally the outer pairs first, then the middle two.

will be starting it in two weeks - the down one is near comber :Dhttp://www.irishphotorally.ie

Heard of this before, do you have all year to do it?

As for the balancing act it was indeed a pain......bandit definitely easier than the zzr. My mate says the bike is far far easier to ride.

Needs the idle adjusted, suzuki in their wisdom have set the idle adjuster on the mk1 bandit right between the middle two carbs. You'd need hands like a 5yr old to reach it without removing the airbox

till november

will be doing the comber one then the one near lough neagh before heading to mullingar

you wanna meet for lunch in cookstown or near?

wheres R9UKE - he needs to bring renos :D

My bike is SORN as to my disgust I've become a fair weather biker. I'd say I'll tax it at the end of Feb, but I'd be up for a blast out especially if lunch is involved!

Always fancied a Mito, is yours a 7 speed?

Mine is the 6 speed (the "Evolution" model)-I'd like to try the seven speed too, although the late models are faster (by a whole 2 mph I beleive).

Balancing the Bandit 600 carbs are fairly easy - it's stripping and rebuilding them that takes the time. I remember rebuilding an Amal Concentric..................

Ok so I have my 2 75 launch cars My 800 vitesse and my kawasaki zzr600. Well I went to do my direct access motorcycle test and came off the training bike twice knackering my chest in the process. Undeterred I valiantly went to my mod 1 and took a few cones with me and did a U turn I could have turned my class 1 lorry in.

Feeling somewhat dejected and in pain I set out looking for a 125 to learn how to turn right as after the falls my confidence turning right had gone.

I really wanted a Honda Varadero but couldnt find one then started looking for a chinese bike( to be honest they look alot better than they used to)

Feeling sorry for myself I looked on facebook and there was a varadero not far from me and I went out and looked at it in the dark.

After looking over it I bought it.

Went home got my bike gear then got a gerry can of petrol then picked it up. It is so much fun and its nice being on a big bike(physically)

I only have a few pictures but here they are.

20170205_221324_zpsnzedcj4l.jpg

20170205_215722_zpsndlotcjc.jpg

20170205_215705_zpsgbcpoekf.jpg

20170205_215608_zpslc1z3ciy.jpg

20170205_215555_zpsuwajmzjj.jpg

Thanks Thomas

Ok so I have my 2 75 launch cars My 800 vitesse and my kawasaki zzr600. Well I went to do my direct access motorcycle test and came off the training bike twice knackering my chest in the process. Undeterred I valiantly went to my mod 1 and took a few cones with me and did a U turn I could have turned my class 1 lorry in.

Feeling somewhat dejected and in pain I set out looking for a 125 to learn how to turn right as after the falls my confidence turning right had gone.

I really wanted a Honda Varadero but couldnt find one then started looking for a chinese bike( to be honest they look alot better than they used to)

Feeling sorry for myself I looked on facebook and there was a varadero not far from me and I went out and looked at it in the dark.

Went home got my bike gear then got a gerry can of petrol then picked it up. It is so much fun and its nice being on a big bike(physically)

Thanks Thomas

Buy some cheap cones, like the ones they use for football training. Bugger all in decathlon etc.

Go find an empty carpark or area of concrete

And just do figures of eight all day long.

I found it best to control my speed using the clutch during the tight maneuvers - more or less constant throttle and feather the power on and off by slipping the clutch.

Don't look at the ground immediately beside the bike, look where you want to go and trust the bike will follow

Thanks Thomas

Find someone with a trials (not trail or mx) bike and practise riding figure of 8s on your garden or driveway. Once you can go from full lock to full lock and not put a foot down you've got it sorted.

You can also practise balancing on the bike while stationary without putting a foot down as it confuses the instructors.

Get yourself on a beginners trial riding course, it's all about co-ordinated control and using the steering, throttle, clutch appropriate for the area you are riding into.  You get to naturally look ahead and assess the terrain you are encountering  without consciously thinking about it and are continuously doing right and left turns going up and down.  After a half day you'll be taking more notice of what is ahead of you when riding and the bike will follow naturally.

As for Varadero I used to live there so am biased.

Thanks Thomas

The clutch slipping thing is a very unatural thing to do especially when you have any mechanical sympathy but it really does work and makes low speed manouvering so much easier.

I failed my mod one for clipping one cone on the swerve test I even felt it hit my foot so didn't even look back as I just knew I had failed, I understood why when I received my fail sheet, I was doing 69 kph which no matter how you cut it was just far to fast to fit through the cones.