The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

Guest Hooli

I finally got these rebuilt today.

Considering those bushes looked the same size, I could see wear but it didn't look like it'd affected the thickness, they've made a big difference. The forks didn't just slide together, they slid together & I could feel the bushes controlling the movement. Have a few pics.

Cleaning up the bottoms, as you can see I wasn't going for a factory fresh finish

FB_IMG_1489227079114_zpsqomfe7or.jpg

The difference in the bushes at the bottom of the stanchions

20170311_125642_zpsxnj4ge1f.jpg

Freshly rechromed stanchions ready to fit

FB_IMG_1489236848613_zpsj6lenzyv.jpg

Two rebuilt forks with all the important bits replaced. I've not fitted them as I need to get new pinch bolts for the forks as the old ones are slightly bent

20170311_143841_zpsz4myiz8r.jpg

Guest Hooli

Pfft....

That can wait a few years, it'll need a full strip & powder coat on the frame to stop it dying by then too.

Guest Hooli

How much was the rechroming on the fork legs, I've got a few that need redoing but have been ignoring them as I'm guessing it's a #?!*! how much moment?

£150 including return postage from http://www.hardchromeplating.co.uk

They were suggested by a mate who builds & fixes a lot of H-Ds & the work sure does look good.

Guest Hooli

Did a bit more today as it was lovely n warm out.

Callipers before n after a quick clean, I also made sure all the pistons moved as these are famous for seizing up. Amazingly they were all ok.

20170312_124337_zpsspko0yj4.jpg

20170312_130652_zps3er4len3.jpg

Refitted the front end loosely, I'm changing the pinch bolts in the yokes as they bend when clamped up & having had them snap before I won't risk it again. The reason I had to fit a new lower yoke this time was damage from fixing the snapped bolts last time.

20170312_162833_zps7kepmqcc.jpg

I was going to get it running & balance the throttles today, but my battery has gone AWOL when my ex's bikes went. I assume it'll come back...

Got the front sprocket loose ready for a new chain n sprockets too, I'll grease the swingarm bearings at the same time & then it's ready for the road again.

Oh my lord.

Both of you.

Castros_Jr - I thought you were thinning the fleet

Dave_Q - that has plantlife growing out of it.

And tis in Blackpool - if you want a fat Northern bloke to come along and point/laugh then just say the word....

I don't think that's plant life, i think its just stray wires.

The man sez it was running fine till a month ago when he robbed the carbs, wheels etc. Still MOTd till September!

I am going to collect it Thursday PM but it will be a flying visit, welcome to come laugh, I'll be there for 2-3pm.

The man sez it was running fine till a month ago when he robbed the carbs, wheels etc. 

And you BELIEVED him???

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Sadly Thurs Im in work all day at RPH - i'll listen out for the air ambulance as it lands just outside my office window.

Guest Hooli

mmmm arai.......mmmmmmm

*rubs thighs

Horrid nosiey things, besides I have a shoei head.

Not that I wear a full face if I can avoid it, horrid disorientating things. They are only good in hail storms.

306 = 3 x 102

buts the daily has just expired so, appropriately,  Pug 106 will be pushed into service so that'll be  Pug 106 + (Pug 102)*3  =  Pugs 412

This is like speaking to Hairnet, have you bought the 102s, he phoned me at the weekend and only this morning he said he would sort out pictures for me?