The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

A fella I know uses his bike all your round, Snow, ice, rain or shine.

Hitting a slippy patch of road is bad enough, so God knows what snow or icy road riding is like.

It hurts

That, unless your very lucky & hit it while going exactly straight at a steady speed. Even then you'll need to wash your leathers out...

I keep saying I'll ride all year, but now I live closer to work it takes longer to get the bike out than it saves in traffic & I just can't be bothered compared to a warm car for the slight* difference in fuel costs.

My experience on a push bike when the weather dropped means I wouldn't bother. I've been down riding in a straight line, just the camber of the road wiping me out. When wet / muddy you normally feel a bike going, on ice you are down before you've thought about it.

I know real bikes have wider tyres so may find grip / weight may push through thin ice, but given the pain I've had / am having with plastics the cost of fixing a small tumble when it wouldn't be a fun ride anyway holds no appeal.

Of course if it was your only way to work and you need to get paid I understand risk / reward is different so fair play to all that do give it a go.

Lets just hope the long term forecasts are wrong, I've got some free days coming up and places that 'need' riding to.

On other updates, received my tyre and el cheapo ebay tyre levers. I still need to seat the bead on the new one as I have lacked motivation with the current forecast but the rest of the process has been surprisingly straightforward. With the caveats that it's only a 120 section tyre and the rims were already chipped to buggery, so I was more concerned with keeping the inside from being damaged than the outside for aesthetics. The only extra bit I really scratched was from taking the second side of the old tyre off which I found the hardest bit to do, so definitely a technique failure on my part. I'd certainly do it again, considering the cost savings / choice of exactly which rubber you want and convenience of doing it half an hour at a time in the evening when the little one is asleep.

I just walked next door with my back wheel & got the new tyre fitted on my GSX14. I can now ignore it until it stops raining & I feel well enough to scrub it in.

I might get one cold a year,lasting about three days,I put it down to riding to work every day.

MZ got washed today after I noticed it was getting rusty in places due to the huge amount of salt that seems to have been needlessly dumped over the last few weeks.does look better now though,and sprayed in oil ready for next week

post-5728-0-66511100-1548610277_thumb.jpeg

Did a buyage today as well.  Bought a screen for my SR500. Its off a Moto Guzzi and has "Moto Guzzi" along the front. I thought it was a sticker and would peel off no bother. Should have looked closer as its etched into the plastic. It was only £15 so no great loss. Got it fitted,looks like fuck all.....excellent.

post-4025-0-12071600-1549221323_thumb.png

A random pic from boxing day 2008 I found while looking for something else. I've never managed to find this cobbled village with the stream down the main road since, which is a shame. All I know is it's in the southern Peak District.

post-20217-0-82479800-1549318411_thumb.jpg

Atala Califfone moped update.

I have a new piston and rings, new head and base gaskets, new head studs to fit, along with the new main bearings and seals already fitted.

That should eliminate any mechanical issues if it still won't run right.

If it still won't run I'll be changing all the electrical components as well.

I really want it running, it's taxed MOT'ed and insured and looks so pretty.

I’m going to be selling my 650 versys soon if anyone on here is interested?

2010 on a 60 plate 33k miles but it dropped a valve and I did an engine swap with one that had done 7k . It certainly looked very clean from the outside and runs perfectly .

It’s been used as a daily commuter prior to me so is a bit rusty in a few places but a good weekends titivating and would be a nice bike .

Will do a proper ad soon but shiters price is £1500 firm

A random pic from boxing day 2008 I found while looking for something else. I've never managed to find this cobbled village with the stream down the main road since, which is a shame. All I know is it's in the southern Peak District.

attachicon.gifdec 2008 035.jpg

Finally found it after a hint on FB

https://goo.gl/maps/SdwtyJekYUD2

It's Pothooks Lane, Butterton, near Leek. Looks like it needs a revisit at some point then.

I can’t believe how expensive old mopeds are, yes more than the Jag I drive about in everyday.

When I was 16 I had a Puch MS50D, 3 on the twist, double seat and quite fancy having another one. I belong to a motorcycle club (a bit like rockers but this one is for the yellow vest wearers) 2 or 3 years ago a free one came up in the magazine but I was second to ask and did not get it.

Today I have the latest mag and there is one for sale BUT £475 I struggle with that!

post-4787-0-05045800-1549535417_thumb.jpg

2010 on a 60 plate 33k miles but it dropped a valve and I did an engine swap with one that had done 7k . It certainly looked very clean from the outside and runs perfectly .

It’s been used as a daily commuter prior to me so is a bit rusty in a few places but a good weekends titivating and would be a nice bike .

That’s a proper bargain for someone.

I passed my CBT last week, and I've just won a cheap 125 on ebay to bomb about on, cant wait :-D

You're going to have a brilliant time, I loved my first year on t'bikes (got fed up with the 125 after a week though).  

I quite fancy a Z1000SX but even the earliest ones (2011) are still £5K+.  I can't help thinking about how much low-cost/big-liability Range Rover I could get for that.

Guzzi passed its MOT today. Despite being Italian, and not started since returning from Albania in early September, it started first touch of the button. Had a great 50 mile ride on empty roads.

Took the Yamaha Vity for its MOT this morning, stuck it on Gumtree this afternoon, and sold it three hours later with no messing. Young kid with plenty of sense, more interested in practicality than looks. He'll go a long way.

Looks like the UG110 is on its way to the ownership of a shiters where I know it will be enjoyed.

Xevo sold today to bloke at work as my insurance expires today, and won't need to use it now up to my retirement day. Apart from a bolt dropping out of the rear suspension mount, it's been great. Covered nearly 20,000 miles through 2 winters. Big scooters are great at riding in poor weather conditions. Give me a proper bike for everything else though.

Yes, I had a good bike day today.

Getting tempted to downsize to this as part of OMGSKINT. Any idea how heavy they are?

What colour is it?

Completely std or not?

Anyone fancy a 2012 vfr1200x dripping in £2k of extras for 6k?