The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

Inspired by Hooli's photos from yesterday, I took the VFR out today.  Unfortunately it was rubbish - my visor kept misting up (inside the pinlock), roads were busy, there were banks of thick fog (of course full of spunk trumpets driving without lights), and I seem to have forgotten all but the most basic fundamentals of how to ride (after just 3 weeks off the bike).  So I'm sat here with my helmet on, trying to adjust the damn pinlock again.  This is my 3rd helmet and I've had this problem with all of them - no matter how snug the fit is, once out in the cold the insert seems to contract more than the visor.  Perhaps I need a sunnier personality to increase the temp inside my helmet?

Pinlocks are just shit. End of.

With fiddling, mine will work ok for a few days, but after that it's back to misting up. It's especially shit when the misting seems to be between the Pinlock and the visor.

I find bringing the helmet indoors and sitting it by the Aga for a few hours beforehand helps matters, but they're still a crap "invention". Why can't someone just make a heated visor FFS? I'd buy one.

I find bringing the helmet indoors and sitting it by the Aga for a few hours beforehand helps matters, but they're still a crap "invention". Why can't someone just make a heated visor FFS? I'd buy one.

https://www.visordown.com/reviews/product/new-scorpion-heated-visor

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Snowmobile-Helmet-Heated-Electric-Shield/dp/B00J0I444G

Do you take the pinlock out while it's near the Aga? if the air trapped in it is moist then it'll mist up.

New helmet?

Try HJC, get something with a pinlock and drop down sun visor, I'd rather have a top of the range mid range.lid than a base arai or shoei with non of the above.

Shark D Skwals are cheap at the minute also, and can be picked up for around £120, they are a well made lid.

Plenty of choice, just buy the one that fits the best regardless of the brand :)

That also leaves you about enough in the budget to buy a scala rider for your Bluetooth.

Crikey.

This thread actually reminds me I own a motorbike.

Been 7 months since I dropped it off at a mates, for fork rebuild, carb fettle, battery and MOT.

Must see if he's touched it.

As for previous post about helmets, try Schuberth, bloody good helmets.

You should have got that back the following weekend!

Can you remember what bike it was?

New helmet?

Try HJC, get something with a pinlock and drop down sun visor, I'd rather have a top of the range mid range.lid than a base arai or shoei with non of the above.

Shark D Skwals are cheap at the minute also, and can be picked up for around £120, they are a well made lid.

Plenty of choice, just buy the one that fits the best regardless of the brand :)

That also leaves you about enough in the budget to buy a scala rider for your Bluetooth.

Will second HJC, I have one and I'm impressed by it so far.

www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk always seem to have sales on, and I've bought from them without drama before

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

MandP have some really cheap stuff in their sale right now

helmets https://www.mandp.co.uk/clearance/full_face_helmets.html?dir=asc&order=price&p=2

Held kevlar jeans from £20, I've bought 2 pairs and they have arrived and are top quality https://www.mandp.co.uk/aramid-jeans.html

RST gloves from £15, I also bought 2 pairs, bargain https://www.mandp.co.uk/clearance/gloves-summer_gloves.html?dir=asc&order=price

And loads more, some of the stuff is ridiculously cheap.

Luckily, work provides my helmets, so have used Schuberth flip fronts for a few years now, and recently got a Shoei Neotech. I will wear them for a minimum of 3 hours a day, 5 to 6 days a week. They may look like new, but the linings show lots of wear after 18 months of this. Used to wear Arai's, but flip fronts are more practical for my work use, and the hinged front is now "safe".

For my own use, I wear HJC full face. Very good fit, interior nice but not as good as the Schuberth and Shoei. I also have an MDS200 (its a rebadged AGV) flip front which I use in the summer as the vents flow much more air that Shoei and Schuberth-downside is that it is much noisier.

Pinlock visors I find are now rubbish. The seal is half the thickness it was, so they steam up and it is difficult some days for them to clear. Stopped using them now.

https://www.visordown.com/reviews/product/new-scorpion-heated-visor

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Snowmobile-Helmet-Heated-Electric-Shield/dp/B00J0I444G

Do you take the pinlock out while it's near the Aga? if the air trapped in it is moist then it'll mist up.

I want the moon on a stick! How about a very gently heated visor powered by a small rechargeable battery, topped up by a solar panel on top of the helmet?

I leave the Pinlock in and let the whole thing warm through for a few hours to drive all the moisture out. Putting the helmet on when it's been in a cold, damp garage is a recipe for nil visibility - it's not like the sodding Pinlock is airtight anyway.

I want the moon on a stick! How about a very gently heated visor powered by a small rechargeable battery, topped up by a solar panel on top of the helmet?

I leave the Pinlock in and let the whole thing warm through for a few hours to drive all the moisture out. Putting the helmet on when it's been in a cold, damp garage is a recipe for nil visibility - it's not like the sodding Pinlock is airtight anyway.

The point of pinlocks is they should* be airtight isn't it? I assume you're aware the pins that retain them are elliptical? so you can rotate the pin to increase or decrease the 'width' of the pinlock on your visor to press the seal down more or less to help it sit flat & seal. I've only had one lid with one, while it helped it wasn't the cure that people claimed. I still ended up riding with the visor open to see, it just took 5mins longer before I did that compared to not having a pinlock.

Now days I just slide the sunglasses down my nose & look over them to see where I'm going.

How much is this worth?

Both our field bikes are non starters and may or may not get fixed, I am thinking it might just be cheaper to buy a working bike without MOT only slightly broken.

This is on Facebook with no price.

Sellers words:

Nice little 50cc electric start don’t work but can be fixed there is a little bit of work that needs to be done open to sensible offers only no time wasters bike runs and rides good it is 2 stroke but the tanks are separate lights and indicators all work brought as a little project but don’t have the time due to having young children the kids love going on little rides around the block have all paperwork/logbook

post-4787-0-88166800-1546016923_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-18274100-1546016936_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-02979700-1546016951_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-84197900-1546016962_thumb.jpg

"open to sensible offers" normally translates as "I want far too much for this but not stating the price as people will mock me"

I reckon £2-300 as it stands, very very few people actually want a 50cc so even though it runs and is fairly tidy etc, but I'm sure the man probably wants £500+.

"open to sensible offers" normally translates as "I want far too much for this but not stating the price as people will mock me"

I reckon £2-300 as it stands, very very few people actually want a 50cc so even though it runs and is fairly tidy etc, but I'm sure the man probably wants £500+.

I think it is going to be cheaper to fix what I have, I didn't realise how much non MOTed 50cc were worth.

I'm looking for a shaft drive bike in working order.

Ya think I can find one?!?!?!?!

Other things have to be bought first, as is always the f'king case.

Bollocks.

As always they are out there, what's your budget? there's not many cheap running bikes sub £500 these days like there used to be.

As always they are out there, what's your budget? there's not many cheap running bikes sub £500 these days like there used to be.

Seems only 4 or 5 years ago that I would buy MOT'd 500cc plus bikes (ER5's, GS500's, Diversions) for £300, and flog them on once I wore out the tyres.

I do have a Suzuki Hokuto UG110 scooter available. Had it completely rebuilt with new seals throughout, and put new tyres on it. About 50 miles later the fuel pump failed (runs if carb filled with fuel), so stuck it in the garage. Need the space now, so up for sale. Will do 65mph ok, with the great smell of two stroke!