Astra Mk1 in glorious poo-brown. SOLD

Louise2cv

The steering lock doesn't work afterall. Does that matter?

I think the steering lock is now testable in the MOT.

A word of advice on fitting the stereo- the first stereo I ever fitted was in one of those and I seem to remember the earth/negative wires were brown instead of the black I would have expected.

Just fixed the hazzards. It seems a wire from the back of the switch is spliced into the radio wires :? A fuse had gone... I got the hazzards and the radio on with a new fuse then after switching the ig on and off no radio? Ho hum it'll do. I think the radio will be coming out when I've worked out which wires are which.

The rear wiper doesn't work and now the front wipers don't park... maybe I've disturbed somethingbecause they did yesterday :?::?:

It seems I'm creating work in the way I always do. And it's raining YAY

They probably just used the hazards for the permanent live that keeps your radio stations etc in the memory.

You can get exhaust 'sleeves' to slide over and repair that snapped bit, exhaust place should have them.

Ah, just checked the manual and I'd agree with you.

The inspection of the steering lock only applies to passenger cars with:

ï‚·

a steering lock fitted as standard by the manufacturer, and

ï‚·

four or more wheels, and

ï‚·

not more than 8 passenger seats excluding the driver’s seat, and

ï‚·

first used on or after 1 September 2001

Anyone know if a Nova wiper switch will fit?

I doubt it. More likely an early mk2 Cavalier.

I seem to remember that the stereo shares an earth with the wiper motor (and some of the instruments) on these. Check the earth tag on the motor in the winscreen scuttle as this gets cruddy and could cause parking issues.

Early Astra ignition barrels were quite well known for playing up. I suspect all your electrical maladies are quite possibly related to the barrel (and / or ign switch). The ignition having no shroud would suggest someone has had a go at it (authorised or not...) or that the ign barrel is a bit dicky (equally likely).

Also check and clean as many earths as you can find, and fusebox connections.

I would strongly advise against hanging huge bunches of keys from the ignition key as they really don't take kindly to it*.

*Cue "They never break, they're perfect, you just hate Vauxhalls" type shit, again.

Well it's back from the exhaust place. The 6 bolts were seized and they had a real game doing it but this place still only charged £30*, and even though I supplied the part (£3 ebay win!) it's much better than the "£70 if it all come apart easily" estimate I got from the first place. The place I settled on today is proper old school, everyone smoking in the premises and in customers cars :shock: I'm turning a blind eye and adding them to my "places to go list". To top off the visit, I got there at closing time and fed Megan while watching them put the Trabby away :D ...Well, I watched them start it up and then imagined it driving through the thick blue fog that came out of its back end :twisted:

*I'm sure he said £20 until he saw me get £50 out of my back pocket: "I said £30 actually love" :|:roll: It could have been the accent I guess and still a good deal I suppose.

On the downside** the Astra is now squealing A LOT. Fanbelt most likely.

** great fun on the village roundabouts pretending to be in a high speed screechy tyres type car chase 8)

But in a delightful twist if fate, just in case I was starting to be annoyed/worried by the ever increasing list of niggles that I was bound to get on an old car... the dipped beam has gone on the Audi. :roll: The Handbook says "you must take it to a workshop" and the Interwebz has turned up a 10000 word essay beginning "The right side headlamp on an 2006 Audi A6 is covered by the air filter and filter box. This makes getting to the lighbulb more difficult than some may want to attempt".

So all whinging about Old Cars has been superseded by whinging about New Cars. :evil:

Ugh. I'm having fan belt issues with everything I buy at the moment. The BX can be squealy, the 309 was VERY squealy until I changed the belt, the Mav is quite squealy at time and has several belts. Haven't yet worked out which one is noisy or how I do anything about it. I'm hoping for dry weather instead...

Glad the Astra's getting there though. There are quite a lot of 'proper' old school garages around here. As you say, smoking seems very much to still be part of the job, even indoors!

Audi. Sell it. Sorted.

Yay. Good afternoons doing :D

Got the drivers door lock sorted, but had to sacrifice the passenger door lock to do so, as the Vauxhallcarparts.co.uk MK1 Astra 80-83 lock, well, wasn't. :x

It seems the lock has a little plastic clip thing that holds the arm to the link rod, and taking the lock apart mangles the plastic so you can't reuse it. I hope to use the old drivers barrel and parts from my wrong new barrel to make a usable lock for the passenger side, but we'll see.

Also got the fan belt sorted- no longer squealing, so job done.

Maybe if I'm feeling brave I'll have a go at putting the new thermostat in... hopefully they have sent the right one of those :roll:

I'm going to have a go at cleaning the door panels tonight too.

Ta, once the thermostat is done I think that's all the "must do" jobs done (the wipers seem to be working for now).

As for the coolant... what do I do with what I drain from the system? Does it have to go to the tip or something (I'm guessing there's antifreeze in it)? I suppose it wouldn't hurt to flush it either? I understand most of what Haynes is telling me except this bit:

...flow of water through the rad...blah blah...if contamination is particularly bad blah blah flush it in reverse... blah blah. Repeat procedure on engine block.

What does that mean? Only if the contamination is bad? :?

If you let it run down the street there is a possibility of dogs and cats drinking it - unless it is very recent stiff with the bitter additive it is quite sweet-tasting but lethal.

Flushing with lots of water should render it safe enough.

Consider using Forte Cooling System Flush if the coolant from your car looks particularly grotty, and adding Forte Cooling System Additive to keep it healthy.

Valeo recommend (in fact won't guarantee heater matrices) using Forte Stop Leak in Citroen systems.

I'm beginning to sound like a Forte spammer now.

It is fairly expensive stuff but does appear to work well, unlike some of the other crap that just bungs heaters and radiators up.

Excellent progress there Louise :)

Cheers gang, it's pretty hard tto find the time to do much with being a full time mom, but OH and Megan watched the Rugby while I had a play (shame as I'd have liked to have seen it, but I also wanted to crack on with the cars).

Inspired by the recent cleaning threads on here I've had a go at the front door trim. I've added a pic of the water after I'd done one panel, the window winders and door pulls:

SDC15590.jpg

SDC15589.jpg

:shock: To think I've touched that Bleurgh! :wink: TBH it's never going to be a show winner so I haven't gone mad, just a spruce up with some biological washing powder.

I might vax the seats too... one day!