Bus Shite

Felly Magic

1 minute ago, busmansholiday said:

Arh, does that mean you're going to teach them how to make the noises to piss off the next bus driver or beat seven bells out of them so they don't do it and make life more tolerable (been there etc, etc) for the next driver ?

probably will go back to it if theyll be good for my friend who now takes my run :)

Just spotted this on German ebay. Currently at £9.81 :D

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125024467287?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Talking with a friend and we were looking into the logisitics of putting in a cheeky offer, driving the 550 miles over there with the express intention of pulling this little beauty out of the back.

s-l1600.jpg

Then phoning the local scrappy to take the rest away and weigh it in for the ally bodywork.

Does anyone have a flatbed with a hiab on it they want to hire out for a few days? :D:D

2 hours ago, 808 Estate said:

Just spotted this on German ebay. Currently at £9.81 :D

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125024467287?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Talking with a friend and we were looking into the logisitics of putting in a cheeky offer, driving the 550 miles over there with the express intention of pulling this little beauty out of the back.

s-l1600.jpg

Then phoning the local scrappy to take the rest away and weigh it in for the ally bodywork.

Does anyone have a flatbed with a hiab on it they want to hire out for a few days? :D:D

if you really end up doing that, can you save all the fluorescent fixtures from it, or at least all the T12 fluorescent tubes from them, for me please! 

(what do you want the engine out of it for? engine swapping something or just to have a Gardner diesel engine laying around? :) )

2 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

if you really end up doing that, can you save all the fluorescent fixtures from it, or at least all the T12 fluorescent tubes from them, for me please! 

(what do you want the engine out of it for? engine swapping something or just to have a Gardner diesel engine laying around? :) )

Yes, sure.

Pretty much. :D They are awesome engines.

Although the boating community will pay silly amounts for a decent Gardner so it could be a quick flip and pocket the cash.

On 12/4/2021 at 9:09 PM, Zelandeth said:

If the opportunity came up for getting hold of one, I'd totally have a Gardner sitting around...no idea what I'd do with it!  Aside from probably annoy the neighbors...

You could have it in the front room as a talking point.

We've got a fair few Plaxton Elite B9Rs up here doing the express services: mostly 65 plate on their original YX/YY area markers, although a few are BX, and I've wondered what service they were cascaded from.

Always catches me out how high they rev, especially with iShift, and considering the frequent hill starts hereabouts. They do get along swiftly once they're stoked up though.

Right, time for a bit more Sheffield bus history.

After the Bridgemasters (following on in fleet number order) were the "Jumbos". Between 1968 and 1971, Park Royal bodied over 160 PDR2/1 Atlanteans and 30 Fleetlines with their 33 foot long dual door bodies for Sheffield. Back then, a twelve year life cycle was generally accepted for front line buses and back in the late 50's there had been a considerable investment in new buses to replace the trams. Time was obviously running out for them, and with government permitting the introduction of longer double deckers (up from 30 foot) and one man operation of double deckers these were seen as the way forward (they never bought anymore 33 footers, they reverted back to 30 footers for future orders).

So lets have a look at them shall we, in number order.

This is 556 after it shat its' propshaft and was being dragged away by G57, a 1957 PD2/20 with Roe body that has been cut down to a tree lopper / tow wagon,

556.thumb.jpg.881dcf0f804f77f7c291961b3baba736.jpg

and a front view of the same batch (with the higher driving position) taken at the next bus stop up the road from 556. Nice selection of chod around the long gone Dial House Club.

577.thumb.jpg.f5088b5f9b486a5091d21523abc8fb93.jpg

The first two batches delivered, in 1968 were numbered from 192 but were renumber to start at 592 when the "B" fleet was acquired. Here's 593, the 1968 Commercial Motor Show exhibit, which kept its' chromed front bumper and BL badge to the end. More chod in the background.

593.thumb.jpg.2410187c0c0a442710ec60902dcd100d.jpg

The second batch were identical, other than the reg numbers starting WWJ rather than WWB.

624.thumb.jpg.893d87a65efcec753d749817e024c0d1.jpg

Moor (it's a pun, that's The Moor  behind 678) followed,

678_z.thumb.JPG.544c5575a6621f2797c1db1f34ba6453.JPG

and then the Fleetlines. Here's a chodtastic view of Sheffield 50 years ago, recognise it ?

682.thumb.jpg.c8d32d626fa137043272d05e609a6e8c.jpg

If you're not sure just remember that chimney.

There were two batches of Atlanteans delivered to the "B" fleet (joint Corporation / BR ownership), here's what was 1123, then renumbered 723 at the old Bridge Street Bus Station.

723.thumb.jpg.a1c24a25ff4727b7bedfa3c2e4c2c6f9.jpg

Finally 735 (originally 1135, one of this batch survives at the South Yorkshire Transport Museum as a mobile exhibition vehicle) in the old Campo Lane Bus Terminus.

735.thumb.JPG.46d0c8451a8925a6fbfb66a17d51f664.JPG

Right, guessed where that Fleetline pic was taken ?

No ?

Well I published this pic a few pages back, yep that's right, Commercial Street, the pic was taken roughly where that shadow on the road is, note the chimney.

30450.thumb.jpg.ebbf654fbeff5ab1d81ef36af4fd21d1.jpg

4 hours ago, CreepingJesus said:

We've got a fair few Plaxton Elite B9Rs up here doing the express services: mostly 65 plate on their original YX/YY area markers, although a few are BX, and I've wondered what service they were cascaded from.

Always catches me out how high they rev, especially with iShift, and considering the frequent hill starts hereabouts. They do get along swiftly once they're stoked up though.

The YX and YY ones will have been registered at Plaxtons, the BX ones by Volvo as most operators get the manufacturers to register them these days as its easier. 

3 minutes ago, CreepingJesus said:

I recall reading on here about going to Scarborough to collect new buses, but I hadn't thought of Volvo themselves. I suppose these days, the reg depends as much as anything on where the finance/purchasing/leasing office is. Or where the coachbuilder is, of course! 

Some operators do still register vehicles themselves but few and far between these days. 

Dunno if it's the same as the freight side of the road, but there you'd find twenty consecutive MX reg'd whatevers, all the same, cos they'd called Salford Van Hire: then one outlier with a local reg cos it was specced for a particular purpose, and the leasing company had 'politely declined'. I suppose at that point, it's decision time: do without, or start making calls to get what you really need, made.

For the artic lickers here, behold the one and only double bendy trolly: 

http://tramclub.org/files/7091exm4_947.jpg

Here is the topic about it, but it's in Romanian. Only one made, based on DAC 117E, in the topic you'll find pictures of the same 7091 in a couple ore liveries.

3 hours ago, CreepingJesus said:

Dunno if it's the same as the freight side of the road, but there you'd find twenty consecutive MX reg'd whatevers, all the same, cos they'd called Salford Van Hire: then one outlier with a local reg cos it was specced for a particular purpose, and the leasing company had 'politely declined'. I suppose at that point, it's decision time: do without, or start making calls to get what you really need, made.

National Express coaches are all made to the same specification as its NX that specifies them, though the operators have a choice of Volvo or Scania chassis. Buses and normal coaches the operator specifies. Most buses and coaches are bought on some kind of finance these days, be it HP or some kind of operating lease etc, outright purchases are rare these days. 

On 12/8/2021 at 11:13 PM, Eyersey1234 said:

I had this again today, nicer to drive than a Levante. It is a 2012 Plaxton Elite bodied Volvo B9R originally registered YX62FLL. 

early Levantes (called Winner here in Portugal) were plagued by all sorts of problems, and had cramped driver's cabins. 

Caetano didn't set the Portuguese market on fire and ended up being massively outsold by the Spaniards at Irizar. There was a period when about 6 out of 10 long distance coaches in a terminal were Irizar PB

3 hours ago, OM646 said:

early Levantes (called Winner here in Portugal) were plagued by all sorts of problems, and had cramped driver's cabins. 

Caetano didn't set the Portuguese market on fire and ended up being massively outsold by the Spaniards at Irizar. There was a period when about 6 out of 10 long distance coaches in a terminal were Irizar PB

I think Caetanos are built to a price, certainly Levantes are