What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

Gareth at work has a pool car for the day to go for a meeting, we went outside to fill the form in, after being told it was mint condition, they've never had one back like it (was a company car before the person left)...

attachicon.gifIMG_20180313_093712.jpg

The dent in the passenger door is particularly fun, been opened into a wall, dented it on the crease line, and left the brick marks in there... Oops

Uncomfortable as fuck though, I sat in it for a laugh

If you cut out that image and carefully PVA the edges together you'll have a nice model of a Sierra that's been tagged up by someone called Dent.

It looks a bit renault to me?

attachicon.gifIMG_20180313_101354.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20180313_101400.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20180313_101405.jpg

I am not a professional model maker obv, that doesn't help

You should check out my thread if you like paper car models!

http://autoshite.com/topic/20735-doesnt-fit-anywhere-else-shite-thread/page-3

post-19512-0-03489900-1520977381_thumb.jpg

Noice!  Been a while since I saw a wedge TVR on the road.  I did see a slightly newer Griffith embedded in the barrier on the A11 on Sunday - looked like the driver had run out of talent exiting a damp roundabout.

Just been reading the KKK thread.  Both parties have said things like "lovely chap, a joy to meet you" etc.  How often do we see that here?  All the time, I reckon.  Shiters flog each other unwanted old cars with known faults, and everyone's happy.  Show me another forum on which this could happen!

On the way to work this morning I saw a 2018 Nissan EV.

I wondered to myself how he would explain if he lost it on a bend and rolled it.

Boss, I've turned over a new leaf!

Just been reading the KKK thread.  Both parties have said things like "lovely chap, a joy to meet you" etc.  How often do we see that here?  All the time, I reckon.  Shiters flog each other unwanted old cars with known faults, and everyone's happy.  Show me another forum on which this could happen!

I think this forum is wonderful and so are the people on it. No pissing about, I know I can be a twat at times (wow, news!)) but I genuinely respect and admre most people on here, you know if someone says the cars a good un, then it is, if they say the cambelt is on its last legs and the brakes are dodgy that is all you have to worry about. Everywhere else everyon would try to have your pants down and not let on about faults and hope you miss them.

It is a most refreshing place/attitude and long may it continue.

Survey being done on our house tomorrow, agents said it should take less than 45 minutes so I'm guessing it's just a mortgage valuation one. Have gone through the structural survey we had done when we bought and apart from the ground level being a bit high but still 1 brick below damp course everything has been sorted, including the rusty header tank I spent half a day cutting out with an angle grinder. Fingers crossed.

Full survey being carried out on the place we are buying today, hopefully it's not turned up any problems.

Survey being done on our house tomorrow, agents said it should take less than 45 minutes so I'm guessing it's just a mortgage valuation one. Have gone through the structural survey we had done when we bought and apart from the ground level being a bit high but still 1 brick below damp course everything has been sorted, including the rusty header tank I spent half a day cutting out with an angle grinder. Fingers crossed.

Full survey being carried out on the place we are buying today, hopefully it's not turned up any problems.

Currently in a similar position, going through our third attempt at a sale (first two bastards fell through).

Fingers crossed for you!

Currently in a similar position, going through our third attempt at a sale (first two bastards fell through).

Fingers crossed for you!

Do people normally do a structural survey after the mortgage one?

Fingers crossed for you!

Only if they have lots of money and are trying to knock the price down, might just have been with me though

Depends: we had the mortgage survey done - which was mandatory, and seemed chiefly to establish that there was indeed a house at the given address that the bank could seize if I failed to stump up the payments - but chose not to bother with a buyer's survey as the house was relatively new and unmodified and in a geologically boring area, plus the survey excluded so much and had so many caveats that it didn't feel worth the asking price. We had a good look over everything ourselves, and nearly eight years on nothing's gone wrong with the place that we didn't anticipate and budget for.

But my brother's currently buying a flat in London that's been converted from a Victorian terrace with an extension, and I'm advising him to get it properly looked over structurally, as there's a lot of scope for bodging and woe there.

I've coughed the extra for structural surveys in the past, expecting to get a better insight into the state of the place from someone qualified and experienced.

You guessed it. Both times, it didn't bring any more information to light than what I'd found while getting cobwebs on my head and dirt under my fingernails. It had the same caveats as an MOT on a rotter with a massive bodykit and a fresh coat of underseal. 'It was not possible to assess the conditions of the roof timbers due to limited access to the loftspace etc. etc.'. Good job I'd got up there with a torch and some gloves and had a good old poke about...

Complete waste of money if you're looking at an unmodified, unextended house built with traditional methods.

I would echo the comment above about it being worthwhile on a place that might have been bodged at a structural level or suffering subsidence, though. 

• Like 2

Depends: we had the mortgage survey done - which was mandatory, and seemed chiefly to establish that there was indeed a house at the given address that the bank could seize if I failed to stump up the payments - but chose not to bother with a buyer's survey as the house was relatively new and unmodified and in a geologically boring area, plus the survey excluded so much and had so many caveats that it didn't feel worth the asking price. We had a good look over everything ourselves, and nearly eight years on nothing's gone wrong with the place that we didn't anticipate and budget for.

But my brother's currently buying a flat in London that's been converted from a Victorian terrace with an extension, and I'm advising him to get it properly looked over structurally, as there's a lot of scope for bodging and woe there.

My son fell foul of that in his house in London - someone had bodged the drainage inasmuch as there were no underground drains, the downcomers just soaked into the ground and the water has excavated huge cavities that are having to be filled with concrete and proper drainage installed.

Brilliant when he is trying to sell the house.

Get those huge ready dug cavities turned into rooms and add value!

99% of London stuff seems to have rain water into the foul water drains do there is really no excuse for not sorting it.

Just been reading the KKK thread. Both parties have said things like "lovely chap, a joy to meet you" etc. How often do we see that here? All the time, I reckon. Shiters flog each other unwanted old cars with known faults, and everyone's happy. Show me another forum on which this could happen!

I can't be the only one who always reads KKK as Kuhnle, Kopp & Kausch, surely?

• Like 2

Guest Hooli

I went to a local bike night that started tonight, a few nice bikes there but this seemed very AS...

post-20217-0-50396400-1521060895_thumb.jpg

Boggo tranny with orange beacon & rust right?

Not quite...

post-20217-0-93180400-1521060933_thumb.jpg

It looked very neat in there, bloke said it had the Lexus auto behind it & all bolted to standard Ford parts for the rest. 3" twin pipes that stopped just in front of the rear wheels but well hidden underneath made for a bloody lovely noise as it vanished at a bloody silly rate of knots for a van.

Not a lot has been making me grin these days and I'm sure not much else will...

We call them names like "taffic wombles" and accuse them of pretending to be policeman but today, I have new and big respect for the Highways Agency lads.

Yesterday I picked up a Van from a very well known van rental place. When I picked up the van it had a full tank, or so I thought. Then whilst on the M25 between junctions 24 and 25 the engine light came on and lost power. It jerked hitting power and losing it again a couple of times but I felt like the power had finally left.

I decided with the momentum I still had I headed towards the edge of the motorway, there was no hard shoulder, just some muddy verge. Hazard lights on and carefully manoeuvred to the verge:

post-3572-0-12173900-1521060439_thumb.jpg

Although there was an emergency layby a couple of hundred yards, I didn't have enough momentum to get there. So office qas phoned and the van company's breakdown line who sorted out a breakdown truck for me but also the Highways Agency lads also came to the rescue. They stopped the traffic to hook up thier car to my van and towed me the couple of hundred yards to safety and got the traffic going.

post-3572-0-36500600-1521061554_thumb.png

Seriously, thanks lads!

Eventually the van got towed and dumped at the nearest van rental centre;

post-3572-0-94731800-1521061179_thumb.jpg

Then things got even better...

Got to my next pick up and the customer wasn't there. So another hours wait and then job got aborted. So another hour and half on train further south in London to pick up another van for a 3 and half hour journey home :(

Yesterday's MB100D camper has been soundly beaten by this morning's spot.

post-190-0-62597500-1521062537_thumb.jpg

Noticed it out of the corner of my eye over the far side of a petrol station forecourt as I drove past.  A tyre-squealing lap of a mini roundabout and dumping the Rover in the middle of the forecourt enabled me to nab this picture just as the transporter was about to bugger off.  The car looked bloody immaculate.  Local reg too - I have no idea where it's been hiding.

Oh wow. I didn't know they actually did useful stuff like towing vehicles out of the way. That's genuinely good to know!

They do, but only to the nearest place of safety I.e. one of the emergency laybys.

So that was you that mullered my bit of the M25 then.

Er...yes, sorry about. There was another van on the otherside of the carriageway that had broken down in the same manner and a similar place. Carriageway was also slowed to get that van onto a recovery truck aswell.

They do, but only to the nearest place of safety I.e. one of the emergency laybys.

That's fair enough. Remove the danger, keep the traffic flowing. I thought they just put cones down and then sat in their 4x4s, watching the resulting traffic chaos.

I was flicking through the channels a few weeks ago and caught a prog on the M1?A1? And somewhere on there they have a Womble type guy on a motor bike. He whizzes between the queues to a breakdown and...

...folds out from the back of the bike a kind of A-frame towing dolly thing and drags the car off the nearest slip road. Never seen owt like it before, looks mega handy!