Camrys, Camrys... Sport and V6 now for sale!

Spottedlaurel

From my accidental purchase of a 2.2 estate a few years ago, these things seem to have been breeding on my driveway.

Over the weekend I put the Sport's trackday wheels and worn tyres back onto the Camry estate:

5683690062_9c92a716ec_b.jpg

P1080899 by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

Then I took the bonnet off it, the lights, wing and bumper having come off a few weeks ago:

5683124387_73b2faa36d_b.jpg

P1080983 by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

Despite the long weekend, in the end I did no more than plonk it in place on the project 2.2 saloon:

5683690684_728d13930c_b.jpg

P1080997 by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

I have a horrible feeling it won't be as easy as I thought getting this car straight. Still, it'll be a useful learning exercise if nothing else. The underbonnet condition of this car is amazing, no corrosion on the bolts. I really ought to persevere with it.

And I bought this:

5683128683_d9391bddb2_b.jpg

P1090015 by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

5683128363_5b61058634_b.jpg

P1090008 by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

The reason being it was cheap, local and had this under the bonnet:

5683694012_e73a1f905f_b.jpg

P1080995 by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

Creamy V6. Used to have a private plate on it, I'd left a note on it and over a year later the chap rang me about it. I was going to say no, as I have a V6 estate on its way to me, but then he said he was only after a bit more than the garage had offered him as a trade-in and that was basically scrap money. Got a very short MoT, tax just out but it doesn't seem to want much. There's a blow in the exhaust, the HVAC control panel is buggered and it could be due for a service. Had new brakes though last year, and the cam belt was done 20k miles ago. No overheating/HGF issues immediately apparent, at worst it'll be a useful source of spares for the new estate but I think I'll use it on the road for a bit first if a new MoT can be easily sorted. Done 128k miles, spent some of its life as a courtesy car at the Norwich Rolls Royce dealers! Drives beautifully.

End result of all the above is that the later 2.2 Sport will probably be coming up for sale, I have sufficient confidence in it that I'll happily sell it to anyone off here*

*But give me a couple of weeks to make sure I can get the J-reg 2.2 sorted, if I can't then I'll be keeping it.

And here's the one I'm hopefully picking up soon:

5574564369_56b3882a8c_b.jpg

1995 Toyota Camry V6 Estate by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

Awaiting it be T&Ted after one or two jobs and for the owner's plate transferred off it.

I'm trying! The MR2 conversion scene combined with high fuel costs and parts availability/prices is taking them off the road, I've already missed out on one or two.

I want to investigate the conversion of a V6 to manual, I'm wondering if the 2.2's 'box will mate up with the V6. If the six goes into an MR2, I can't see why not - I've seen mention of a Carina 2.0 being possible to convert to V6.

Like muchly, I do like these since I'm a Lexus LS pervert from the same era or Toyota Celsior if you prefer, I like early nineties Toyotas and Hondas :D

I hate the rear window on the estates but bloody hell they look like they can handle alot! the one I saw at an auction had the neat fold-away third-row seats do all estates have them?

Whats the crack with your HVAC LCD? I imagine it may well be like the mk1 LS400 which I have, they are guaranteed to go black but you can buy replacements off ebay etc and knowing alot of the switch-gear is the same between Carinas/Camrys/LS/GS I wonder if the LCD panel is the same?

Cracking work SL! You are truly the saviour of Camrys.

An auto-to-manual conversion sounds horrendously involved - I think you need to worry less about the durability of a slushbox behind a V6. That ratty Sigma I had (and you drove) still worked fine...provided the transmission fluid has been changed regularly, I'd say that an old slusher should be fine for big mileage. The 'box in my Accord seems no more dimwitted than when it only had 18k on the clock to be honest.

Yes, but V6 Camrys do seem to have more than their fair share of autobox issues for some reason. A lot of the cheap ones I've seen on eBay have terminally ill gearboxes. Only other Japanese car I've seen the same thing with is late '90s Galants.

Jesus. How many Camrys do you have now?

On another note, those softline alloys suit the Sport better than any other car of the age that I've seen. On virtually any other model they'd look horrible. Not sure why that is, though.

Like muchly, I do like these since I'm a Lexus LS pervert from the same era or Toyota Celsior if you prefer, I like early nineties Toyotas and Hondas :D

I hate the rear window on the estates but bloody hell they look like they can handle alot! the one I saw at an auction had the neat fold-away third-row seats do all estates have them?

Whats the crack with your HVAC LCD? I imagine it may well be like the mk1 LS400 which I have, they are guaranteed to go black but you can buy replacements off ebay etc and knowing alot of the switch-gear is the same between Carinas/Camrys/LS/GS I wonder if the LCD panel is the same?

I’d love to have a good look at an original LS400/Celsior, I suspect that while they’re completely different (FWD vs RWD etc) there’d be a lot of touches and details I’d recognise. In America they did get a version of the Camry sold as a Lexus ES300 IIRC.

The estate’s styling does take a bit of getting used to. They do their job very well though, hence my keenness to have another on the road. AFAIK, all UK models did have the 3rd row of seats. Did get used on mine occasionally, but a bit of the loadbay is sacrificed as the spare is stowed vertically instead of underneath the floor.

The estates sold here were built in Kentucky USA, while it seems saloons come from Japan. So far I haven’t found any issues swapping stuff from estate to saloon.

The HVAC controls are just buttons and a couple of dials, no screen. I think they got hit with something, so it’s hopefully not one of those “they all do that sir†items and I can pick up a replacement panel up somewhere.

The 17†alloys and low profile tyres which should be on the Sport were terrible when I had them on the road. Apparently this was an issue with them when new. It drives far better, and more quietly, with 15’s (and potholes are less of a concern). However they do get fitted for trackday use, last time fitted with ex-BMW runflats which tramlined horrendously on the road but did a good job around the track.

It’s difficult to describe how ‘right’ feeling these are, for me at least. The 2.2’s are excellent dailies, more than quick enough with reasonable economy and a feeling of inherent quality and integrity. The Carina E, P11 Primera and even the ’02 Accord I can compare them with don’t come close.

Yes CIH, the J-reg 2.2 is insured on my classic policy and obviously I’ll do the same if I keep the V6 saloon on the road. Don’t know if I can swing it for the hoped-for estate as that’s actually a bit later, which might be another reason that the Sport will have to go. My brokers (RH) are usually quite understanding though.

• 1 month later...

I struggle with those, think it could be an ES300 or a Toyota Windom. I think they sometimes get badged as Lexus when they’re imported here.

Anyway, bit of lowdown on the new one. Cost me £635 from a dealers in Leicester, one owner from new and over a year’s MoT. 82k on the clock, stamps in the book confirm that’s 99% correct. Sadly no invoices, but it was serviced by Toyota dealers until 2007. Stickers under the bonnet suggest it’s had a couple of cam belt changes in its life.

It’s not perfect inside or out, but it drives really well and I’m very, very pleased with it. Rootes_Arrow kindly looked at it for me beforehand, I think he downplayed how good it is but as he pointed out he doesn’t know what my expectations are. I wasn’t after a minter, this isn’t one, but it is a good, honest workhorse with loads of life in it yet.

We’re doing lots of work on the house right now (hence the props in the boot) and this’ll be ideal for collecting materials and dump runs. Towbar could be handy of course.

It certainly makes the V6 saloon that I got back on the road somewhat redundant, and if I was really sensible the Sport could go too. But that’s a bit drastic, so I’ll try moving the V6 on first. Strangely I find myself preferring the feel of the smaller-engined versions.

I have to ask, given you have a V6 saloon and numerous 2.2 estates, what purpose does the project 2.2 saloon serve?

Err, none! I’m not entirely sure now why I bought it, other than it was an interesting adventure and I felt sorry for it. At the time I thought I’d fix it up with panels that were otherwise of no use on the estate, but I didn’t realise it was carrying a VIC marker and now other cars have come along it’s somewhat redundant other than as another spares car which I know runs and drives well. I want to keep driving around in these things for as many years as possible, and it’s only done 57k.

Was useful at the time, despite the damage it ended up being my daily while Mrs SL used the Sport for a bit after her Primera came off the road and before we got the Accord. Had I known the Primera estate was going, I would have been more determined to get a Camry estate back then but this is the way it’s worked out.

I’m toying with the idea of stripping it out and using it for trackdays. While it might not have the handling qualities of the Sport, I think it would make up for it with less weight. And I have a towcar now...

Trigger, it’s difficult to directly compare the V6 and 2.2 Camrys. Obviously the former is ultimately the quicker, but that’s only really at the top end and its heavier engine doesn’t help the handling (though my one does also have rubbish tyres). In daily use I’m finding I prefer the 2.2’s, the engine has a very willing, torquey feel which suits my use of it well. V6 sounds better though when giving it some beans, and I suppose has more of a sense of occasion. Seats are softer and comfier too.

In conclusion, getting this new estate has reminded me why I liked my other one so much. It offers a blend of qualities that I think would be hard to find elsewhere (at least for sensible money). And it has twin rear wipers.

Sorry for clogging up this thread but not sure where else to put these:) I have a thing about the rear wipers on these so spot a couple every month but invariably decide they aren't quite shite enough for my spotting thread. There are so many of these still chugging around the US, here is a selection:

IMG_3584.jpg

IMG_2963.jpg

IMG_2946.jpg

IMG_2940.jpg

IMG_2938.jpg

IMG_2817.jpg

IMG_2608.jpg

IMG_2578.jpg

IMG_2556.jpg

IMG_2345.jpg

IMG_1949.jpg

IMG_4307.jpg

if we're including US Camrys then I'll post this fruity number.

2167654318_830625fbd3.jpg

2007 Toyota Solero by Tayne, on Flickr

Its a Toyota Camry Solero convertible.

Nice enough in average car kind of way, it was only on the day before I handed it back that I opened the bonnet and discovered a 3.3 V6. I had thought it was a 1.8 or 2.0 four.

Wiki claims a 0-60 of 6.9 seconds. My rental wouldn't have managed that if I'd driven it off a cliff.

Maybe that one was broken, or maybe its a lot heavier than the coupe - it didn't have any scuttle shake at all.

Even after taking it off-road in Big Sur.

I like how the rear wipers are set up differently for RHD and LHD cars. :D

Hadn't noticed that before, that's crazy! Mine was built in the USA too, it's still got its sticker saying as much inside the windscreen.

Great to see all those other estates FP. Glad mine isn't white though, I know it's not a 1960s piece of Italian GT exotica looks-wise but that really doesn't do it any favours.

Do you see many of the coupe version of this generation?

The new estate is excellent, just gets better the more I drive it. Thinking now that I’m going to put both the Sport and the V6 up for sale, I’m not sure whether I’ll get much for the latter and something has to go. If both sell then so be it, I’m very happy with the estate as a replacement (and I’ll keep the repaired 2.2 saloon for trackday use), and with lots of work to come on the house the space/money would be handy.

4561456080_c504081603_o.jpg

1997 Toyota Camry 2.2 Sport by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

Tax due shortly on the Sport, I’d let that go for £600 before the end of the month (obviously more if I have to get new tax on it), MoT not due until December on it. Something like 70-80k on the clock so loads of life in it yet, and that’s considerably cheaper than pretty much any Sport I’ve seen advertised (which usually have done more miles). I’d happily drive this car anywhere.

5683128683_7c2acfcb73_o.jpg

1991 Toyota Camry V6 GX - another one joins my fleet! by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

The V6 could go with 5 months tax and nearly a year’s MoT for £500. I’m already losing money at that, but I wouldn’t really want to let it go cheaper, may just as well cash the tax in and keep it for spares (selling the V6 would see me with a bit of cash, if necessary).

Neither car is perfect, if they were I’d be asking somewhat more. PM me for an honest appraisal if you’re interested. I’ll try and find time to put them on eBay classified ad’s over the weekend.

The Sport looks so different on the estate wheels... New estate looks great - don't think I've seen a black one on the road before.

I’d probably keep the 17’s, they haven’t got legal tyres and ideally I want them for future trackdays. If someone was a stickler for originality I’d let them go, but to be honest the car drives much nicer with the 15’s - quieter, no tramlining, less risk of pothole damage.

The estate is actually a very dark green, but it does look black unless it’s got some sunlight on it when it sparkles nicely.