Help my mate out, he needs a car!

Hello 'shiters.

My mate in Central London needs a car. £700 budget maximum. I have sent him details of LT's Fiesta as he seems to think a Golf Mk 3 one eight auto would be a good first ride (Jesus wept). He's away from home a lot, needs to commute all over the country for film work. Economy, reliability and a low insurance group would be high on the list of wants. He's 22 and a new driver.

Any suggestions? I may well end up delivering it to him.

If he wants a Mk3 Golf he's clearly a plastic wanker to be avoided with car advice at all costs.

Well, he isn't. He just doesn't do cars. Bit harsh, chap. :o

Does it need to be auto?

I think Mr Bollocks is about to sell the spakermatic Chavalier.

Insurance \ fuel might be a bit heavy on that front. Don't think he's bothered either way. It just has to start every day, and not break down much \ need a lot of servicing beyond the routine stuff and a maybe the odd bit of welding. Tim's Fiesta would be pretty much spot on, but is in the top end of his budget. Thought casting the net a bit wider might leave me with something half decent.

If he wants a Mk3 Golf he's clearly a plastic wanker to be avoided with car advice at all costs.

Brutal!

Something 1990's, french and diesel should suit id say! 306 TD, ZX etc. If he is intent on a mk3 Golf, the 1.9 TDI's in a 'GL' spec are alrite cars! Come with all the electrics, and the 1.9 TDI give 90bhp and decent economy

it is true though.

Stop leaping to conclusions, please. :shock:

He had a quick look on the 'trader for cars within his budget and in the area. He asked me my thoughts and I advised him otherwise. A shit version of an already shit car with a shit engine and a shit gearbox is not the start he needs in motoring. You're right, but calling him a wanker because he's having a mooch round is a bit OTT.

How about a late model Peugeot 205, a car which is both good and cheap? :)

Yes! Let him live my prejudices vicariously. Got anything in mind?

I saw a dark blue five door for sale at the side of the A127 in Westcliff-on-Sea on the way home tonight. Not sure which model it was or how much it was up for, though.

Is he an actOr?

Is he any good?

Is there a chance he may become famous and be interviewed on Top Gear in a few years?

If so, he needs a particularly shite first car.

Allegro, Lada Riva, any Yugo or even....

A Marina!

Get him some old BL tat and tell him it will be good for his career.

I saw a dark blue five door for sale at the side of the A127 in Westcliff-on-Sea on the way home tonight. Not sure which model it was or how much it was up for, though.

Sounds ideal!!!!

I'd recommend a Mk3 Astra diesel, despite my one's inabitity to keep hold of it's electricity at the moment. It's usually reliable, and it's fairly comfortable, cheap to run, etc.

Or if the insurance is too high on the Astra for a first-timer, a Fiesta should be pretty good. I had '93 Mk3 1.1 LX and my brother's got a '98 Mk4 1.4 Ghia X and neither have been any trouble.

Stop leaping to conclusions, please. :shock:

No. I reckon he buttfucks labrador puppies.

TBH if he has to travel around a lot he will need something with a slightly bigger engine as tootling up and down the country in a 1.1 205 will suck. If its a bigger engined model then maybe. If you can get a non rusty one of these maybe:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1997-VOLKSWAGEN-POLO-1-6-CL-BLACK-/260748425316

TBH I don't know what they are like but its a 1.6 so probably a bit more pokey for the longer journeys, but is probably cheapish to run and cant be that bad to insure as a girl from work has one and she has only just passed her test. I like the styling of them too.

I assume the normal candidates of the Nissan CurryWagon K11 is out of the question due to style issues?

Guest Leonard Hatred

I don't think suggesting old Peugeots and the like is a good idea for someone who isn't into cars - they are reliable but often need fettling by an enthusiastic owner.

Do you remember the game show Turnabout? You had to rotate these balls around to make lines of your certain colour and thus win points. Now, these were computer-generated balls, but if they were real, you could put a kind of board on top of them and that'd be sort of like a car. You could even use the "T-t-turnabout" whispered lyric thing from the opening as a horn of some kind. I bet you could make one of those for him at cost, not sure how much it'd add up to, but you never know - might be within budget. Dunno what the fuel economy or insurance would be like though. I suppose you'd sort all that out later.

Hope that helps.

Hello 'shiters.

My mate in Central London needs a car. £700 budget maximum. I have sent him details of LT's Fiesta as he seems to think a Golf Mk 3 one eight auto would be a good first ride (Jesus wept). He's away from home a lot, needs to commute all over the country for film work. Economy, reliability and a low insurance group would be high on the list of wants. He's 22 and a new driver.

Any suggestions? I may well end up delivering it to him.

I've stopped giving anyone advice on cars...I have lost count the number of times soeone says to me "oh you know about cars - I know nothing about cars I've got £1500 to spend on a cheap 5 seater what should I buy?"

me - ""a picasso"

them - "oh I don't want a French car 'cos they're unreliable"

me - just a minute - you asked my advice and admitted that you know fuckall about cars but when I make a suggestion, a suggestion that you have already acknowledged as being an informed one, you dismiss it base around your assumption despite the fact that you initially admitted you know fuck all . Which begs the question, why did you ask me in the firstplace?

tell him to buy that lovely Maestro!