Jump to content

Bad Rolls Royces


Recommended Posts

Posted
On 28/08/2026 at 08:37, Asimo said:

The crudely-chopped Shadow that Jools Holland drives in The Groovy Fellers.  ( Watch it!) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zDtkI8OoT4

IMG_1540.jpeg.edc5dd3a3a4bdff47b0ff07ca50ab6e1.jpeg

IMG_1539.jpeg.fbfd8f42adcd635a7bdbec34d3a625b2.jpeg

Interesting to know PPC weren't the first to roof chop a Silver Shadow 

image.png.d5a5524cef050791e906d01b15867ba5.png

  • Like 2
Posted

I don't actually hate Mike Skinner of The Streets Silver Shadow either

image.png.cf648b3680cb97befd94e0058c7f9e83.png

Although the interior is vile

image.png.21dc1750f80fe1e1ffc71d3bc4335644.png

  • Like 2
Posted

image.jpeg.490d7ecbe6f527e35c35dcb6026709e3.jpeg

image.jpeg.c7a3412d17ac4dd2811d2b2e0e14be65.jpeg

image.jpeg.01a6de9637a177bc749a054ef5aa598b.jpeg

Seen a few spirit/ phantom conversions. Looks like they have changed the rake of the rear screen so fairly involved surgery.

Posted

John Lennon's second Phantom, originally a nice distinguished black and green. He had it refinished in white inside and out so it looks like a low-rent wedding car. Proof that money can't buy taste.

EUC 100C - 1965 Rolls-Royce Phantom V

 

Posted

image.jpeg.86b68b8d80c5767ff99db8ac79573cce.jpeg

looks nicely executed but the proportions are a bit awkward imo.

  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
Posted

I quite like it when old separate chassis ones used to get modified in later life and repurposed for practical reasons- when they were old cars,  after all the OG rolls thing was to sort the body with a third party depending on taste and function, if not aesthetics…

image.jpeg.fd88ab9c492b3d1adca4f6a449b9895e.jpeg

 

image.jpeg.6ce55ad1b3d636504d7a6561eb2e767d.jpeg

 

image.png.c6521cde6e0636ee430c8c0d8e4b57d1.png

image.jpeg.b89c98f75f0007fbfb54f94b944e7203.jpeg

image.jpeg.94c851e0b2c18e010d5b78176d71ea9c.jpeg

image.png

Posted
6 minutes ago, HMC said:

I quite like it when old separate chassis ones used to get modified and repurposed for practical reasons- when they were old cars,  after all the OG rolls thing was to sort the body with a third party depending on taste and function.

image.jpeg.fd88ab9c492b3d1adca4f6a449b9895e.jpeg

 

image.jpeg.6ce55ad1b3d636504d7a6561eb2e767d.jpeg

 

image.png.c6521cde6e0636ee430c8c0d8e4b57d1.png

I have memories of an RR ice cream van from when I was a very small kid in the early 50s.

  • Like 2
Posted
On 28/08/2026 at 09:05, cort16 said:

Do you think they still call these by their nick name at rolls royce car shows in 2026? The answer is yes as I heard someone say it on a youtube video last week.

Car Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud III 1964 for sale - PostWarClassic

I always thought Chinese Eye was the official term for these, growing up. Always described as such in Motorsport ads etc.

What I was never clear about was where the term “ Chinese Six “ came from when applied to Lorries and coaches. Apparently is because traditionally 6 wheelers had 1 axle at the front and 2 ( both driven or not) at the back. When the twin steer chassis started to appear in the late 50’s the term was coined because it was backwards like reading in Chinese. Which was slang for anything the wrong way round.

IMG_0015.jpeg.450a161f798ba22bfd130f80c7bdc009.jpeg

 

Anyway vaguely on topic .  Not a bad Rolls but a bad driver, me in flowery shorts with my lunch stolen from the free Eurostar lounge , trying to pictures of Citroen Visas. Generally lowering the tone of an Englishman abroad.

IMG_3894.jpeg.3f97e8679ef760a1137d616707a11d90.jpeg6ADCD2FE-E137-401E-9D11-913D0C5C9FA0.jpeg.ce8d5d796ded8f7b3a43b01834c4eff3.jpeg

IMG_0448.jpeg.802b7b33f3d94849f32779f0126a0ab2.jpeg 

 

Note period sounds, all I had for 800 miles ( that or NRG merde)

Posted

Ive also seen them referred to as the “koren coupe” but presumably that refers to the earlier one without the quad lights as well (?)

Posted

image.png.774e7b77e536223a22341ded1142687c.png

John Dodd was an engineer who famously created the vehicle that had a rolls aero engine “the beast”

My fave of his vehicles wasnt that but a silver cloud on slot mags that was used as a tow barge…

IMG_1426.jpeg.d87a6382bf97ea4fb4abc87d7699f830.jpeg

(sorry for thread drift this is becoming about modifications )

Posted

Definitely bad at being a Rolls Royce.

IMG_1542.jpeg.c8c34f8e8fd0aff30d666c6e36894593.jpeg

  • Haha 3
Posted

A disreputable Rolls, used in a totally inappropriate manner, you say ? 

DakaRolls.jpg.bb9c954fac2060decea94e2c58843a8e.jpg

  • Like 9
Posted

But that's just a 'Merde'des-Benz W211 underneath, no?

Posted

image.jpeg.0e90357cb3c5ff146dea3b110f406f6b.jpeg

Not so elegant, but very practical. 

(Lenin aboard? ) 

Posted
4 minutes ago, HMC said:

image.jpeg.0e90357cb3c5ff146dea3b110f406f6b.jpeg

Not so elegant, but very practical. 

(Lenin aboard? ) 

All animals are equal. But some are more equal than others. 

  • Haha 2
Posted
6 hours ago, HMC said:

image.png.774e7b77e536223a22341ded1142687c.png

John Dodd was an engineer who famously created the vehicle that had a rolls aero engine “the beast”

My fave of his vehicles wasnt that but a silver cloud on slot mags that was used as a tow barge…

IMG_1426.jpeg.d87a6382bf97ea4fb4abc87d7699f830.jpeg

(sorry for thread drift this is becoming about modifications )

I think they recovered the Yankmobile from Valencia Spain. What an adventure. One of my favourite photos!!

  • Like 1
Posted
14 minutes ago, Royale80 said:

I think they recovered the Yankmobile from Valencia Spain. What an adventure. One of my favourite photos!!

A few years ago I recovered his son (Paul?} from Santa Pod, when his 9 second  Oldsmobile shit it’s transmission and he couldn’t drive it home to Epsom. Really nice bloke full of fascinating anecdotes, I think his dad was in Spain still fixing auto transmissions at the time.

Posted
8 hours ago, HMC said:

image.jpeg.490d7ecbe6f527e35c35dcb6026709e3.jpeg

image.jpeg.c7a3412d17ac4dd2811d2b2e0e14be65.jpeg

image.jpeg.01a6de9637a177bc749a054ef5aa598b.jpeg

Seen a few spirit/ phantom conversions. Looks like they have changed the rake of the rear screen so fairly involved surgery.

My eyes...!! 😳

Still, novel use of early MINI tail lights.

Posted
23 hours ago, chaseracer said:

My eyes...!! 😳

Still, novel use of early MINI tail lights.

I didn't notice the MINI lights util you pointed it out, now i can't unsee them

  • Like 1
Posted

I've always fancied a roller, but it's the running costs that terrifies me. I think I would be paranoid listening to every squeak and rattle, thinking it was about to condemn me to the poor house!! 😁

  • Agree 2
Posted
44 minutes ago, 2flags said:

I would be paranoid listening to every squeak and rattle

Squeaks and rattles in a Rolls Royce? Perish the thought

Posted

1970 World Cup rally competitor. I have always liked the exhaust arrangement on this. IMG_1546.jpeg.5550f870766e9932554907d7595bde1c.jpeg

IMG_1545.jpeg.8ecc029c435ce7c804374c5b141d00ae.jpeg

Posted

Spotted this in Málaga motor museum while I was there last week. Swarovski studded proving yet again that money can't buy taste🫣IMG20260827113659.jpg.cb4ba601ca7bf510e7526a066454410a.jpg

Posted
19 minutes ago, dome said:

Spotted this in Málaga motor museum while I was there last week. Swarovski studded proving yet again that money can't buy taste🫣IMG20260827113659.jpg.cb4ba601ca7bf510e7526a066454410a.jpg

As Dolly Parton once said "it takes a lotta money to look this cheap"...........................

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...