Vanishing motoring YouTube channels

GregZX

This guy doesn't post that often but when he does it's good. It's mostly car tinkering or tinkering with his garage so he can do more car tinkering.

It's funny and well presented and this is probably a realistic video on fixing a salvage car. 

On 27/05/2024 at 07:14, EyesWeldedShut said:

When a hobby (or a passion) morphs into some sort of monetisation/business deal that's often the case (or the passion wanes). That's my experience in any case - then when you add in the fickle world of YouTube users - can be hard work.

Trucker Tim started off making vids in his work truck. Now has a rented unit, one working truck, tow project trucks with a mechanic working on them and a burgeoning merch business. Works bloody hard at it but is now finding the cost of fame.

He was parked in a layby on the A66 for the night and every second truck was blowing the horns 'cos Trucker Tim. Some twat chapped his door at 12.20am so he could meet him and get a selfie!

There was another truck parked there as well who he apologised to via his channel as his sleep must have been ruined too.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, cort16 said:

This guy doesn't post that often but when he does it's good. It's mostly car tinkering or tinkering with his garage so he can do more car tinkering.

It's funny and well presented and this is probably a realistic video on fixing a salvage car. 

I could have sold him one that didn't need pulling straight and thrown an hour with a prostitute to sweeten the deal.

Are these as nice to drive as I think they are? A colleague's wife owns a rather splendid looking, late-reg-madness ('59-plate), bright red, one of these and he once remarked that it was Korea's Honda S2000.

Just now, MantaGTE85 said:

Are these as nice to drive as I think they are? A colleague's wife owns a rather splendid looking bright red one of these and he once remarked that it was Korea's Honda S2000.

No. It's a Pacific Rim Capri 1.6 Laser.

Thanks to those who mentioned NitroSilvia, very good.

I watch a lot of automotive Youtube, but most of it isn't really shite orientated. Often on my TV in the background while I am on my laptop; so I'm not usually fully engaged. I tend to watch reviews or features on specific cars rather than projects and roadtrips etc, although getting into more projects lately. I'm quite picky with the presenters, and given the type of people who tend to make videos I sometimes struggle to find ones I tolerate. I often get recommended JayEmm; but even when he's featuring something right up my street it doesn't take long before I regret pressing play.

I would imagine a few of a vanishing Youtubers started in either lockdown or during a working from home period and have now returned to work proper, 

• Like 1

Is there such thing as good car content on TikTok? I'm a refusenik with that particular app.

Have we had Church House Classics yet? Based in Devon, his garage consists mainly of old Land/Range Rover restoration projects, but he sometimes throws the odd Triumph Staag and his son's '02-plate 9N Polo into the mix too.

He starts nearly every sentence with "first and foremost" and ends nearly every sentence with "and so on and so forth" which can be a bit annoying. He farts and swears like a trooper, but he does seem a lovely guy who knows every little detail about classic Range Rovers, like he knows every little difference between hard and soft-dash models, and the sort of person you would love to "buy him a pint", as he likes to say at the start of his videos.  

9 hours ago, egg said:

Is there such thing as good car content on TikTok? I'm a refusenik with that particular app.

FTFY

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MantaGTE85 said:

Have we had Church House Classics yet? Based in Devon, his garage consists mainly of old Land/Range Rover restoration projects, but he sometimes throws the odd Triumph Staag and his son's '02-plate 9N Polo into the mix too.

He starts nearly every sentence with "first and foremost" and ends nearly every sentence with "and so on and so forth" which can be a bit annoying. He farts and swears like a trooper, but he does seem a lovely guy who knows every little detail about classic Range Rovers, like he knows every little difference between hard and soft-dash models, and the sort of person you would love to "buy him a pint", as he likes to say at the start of his videos.  

That chap is @richardthestag on here. 

Dougie from ODFS has resurfaced on Instagram. I welcomed him back but he said he'd never been away and to 'check Truck and Driver'. I couldn't see anything obvious  so I assume he's just been mega busy with that. Still mucking about with Cavaliers as well. 

He did look painfully thin in his pictures but I can't remember if he's just built like that or not.

On 23/05/2024 at 11:24, andy18s said:

These are the channels I watch the most. 

Vgg less so now as the finger flexing whilst childish speaking gets a bit off-putting.

PoleBarn garage is a decent watch,but you'll hate it Dyslexic Viking....the last convertible he slapped together. 

Haven't watched hubnut since he completely slagged off a car someone had lent hime,before even getting in it..

I haven’t watched Hubnut since it became him and his Mrs just arsing about.  It used to be excellent car reviews and relatable tinkering. It peaked with the TWC series and the Elly engine swaps but I’ve barely watched for the past four years. Some of the stuff was massively frustrating like the Camry purchase and the Daihatsu series. He also bought and excellent Vectra and bizarrely sold it and the C5 was a good car that just needed a clutch but it went too

1 minute ago, GregZX said:

I haven’t watched Hubnut since it became him and his Mrs just arsing about.  It used to be excellent car reviews and relatable tinkering. It peaked with the TWC series and the Elly engine swaps but I’ve barely watched for the past four years. Some of the stuff was massively frustrating like the Camry purchase and the Daihatsu series. He also bought and excellent Vectra and bizarrely sold it and the C5 was a good car that just needed a clutch but it went too

Hi

I can't disagree about peak tinkering  - I'd add the Fox to that.

Camry was a stupid buy that led to instant regret and financial loss, but hardly my first time doing that...

Just didn't like the Vectra. It was horribly uncomfortable so had to go. 

C5 needed way more than a clutch. Next owner spent several thousand pounds rectifying it. HGF, suspension, brakes and more.

6 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

C5 needed way more than a clutch. Next owner spent several thousand pounds rectifying it. HGF, suspension, brakes and more.

Videos where you revisit your previous cars after a few years with their new owners would make an interesting watch. 

10 hours ago, warren t claim said:

Videos where you revisit your previous cars after a few years with their new owners would make an interesting watch. 

Washing machines, various toasters and a fridge freezer?

I was thinking what would be the car content that would engage me most in 2024?

In answering my own question I came up with 'single vehicle short term projects of up to about 3 months with weekly upload schedule with a start, middle and end with 15-20 minute vids'.

But last night I was watching a woman on a narrow boat, so there's what I'd say I like and what I actually watch...

I've been a fan of VGG for many years but recently the Youtube episodes have been 2 or three hours long and it's too much for me. Appreciate the efforts involved in making these videos but Youtube for me is a 20 - 30 min fill in when i'm bored or there's nothing worth watching on TV.

Cortina City was a good watch especially during the Bramble rebuild but I wonder if he's burnt himself out doing all that project? I couldn't get on board with the last project he was doing as it seemed too different from his normally OCD style attention to detail.

I like Ian's content, most I watch, but not all, and again I'm grateful that he does what he does, same with Martin on Grand Thrift Auto, love his style of presenting.

1 hour ago, LoftyvRS said:

I've been a fan of VGG for many years but recently the Youtube episodes have been 2 or three hours long and it's too much for me. Appreciate the efforts involved in making these videos but Youtube for me is a 20 - 30 min fill in when i'm bored or there's nothing worth watching on TV.

I’ve thought the same thing tbh. The content is great but it makes the videos longer and longer.

I tend to watch them in chunks now as/when the times available, usually over lunch. Watch half an hour then pause and watch another bit later or the next day. The only time I might watch one that’s hours long in one hit is on a weekend when it’s raining and there’s bugger all else to do!

On VGG, I find that working on the cars quickly becomes boring because there is a limit to the amont of times one wants to se brake  work and simlar, I like the road trips much better. So often I jump forward in the videos to the road trip section after I have got the most important parts, but sometimes I see whole thing.

Below is a channel I've looked at a bit recently, it's not a favorite but he has some good ones like the one below.

4 hours ago, LoftyvRS said:

Cortina City was a good watch especially during the Bramble rebuild but I wonder if he's burnt himself out doing all that project? I couldn't get on board with the last project he was doing as it seemed too different from his normally OCD style attention to detail.

I like Ian's content, most I watch, but not all, and again I'm grateful that he does what he does, same with Martin on Grand Thrift Auto, love his style of presenting.

I believe Pete "cortina city" has been unwell.

Might see him at cortina day this sun.

3 hours ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

On VGG, I find that working on the cars quickly becomes boring because there is a limit to the amont of times one wants to se brake  work and simlar, I like the road trips much better. So often I jump forward in the videos to the road trip section after I have got the most important parts, but sometimes I see whole thing.

He did one recently where it was a proper merry trip home, stopping off to visit places in some detail. Made a lovely change. He often seems to be on ridiculous timescales though so I guess he doesn't always have time.

21 hours ago, warren t claim said:

Good idea, though most are indeed...

10 hours ago, junkyarddog said:

Washing machines, various toasters and a fridge freezer?

• Sad 1

On 03/06/2024 at 14:24, egg said:

It depends what you're after but there are some excellent mechanics on there if that's your thing - Baz Meredith (also on YouTube) Rok1874, O'Reilly autos (the DPF man), and a few more that escape my memory at the moment. Obviously - horses for courses, some people simply won't be interested in their content at all. But they're great creators on a shit platform, in my opinion 

59 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

Good idea, though most are indeed...

Ian, have you found out what became of that red Favorit Estate that you owned some years back? I was really fond of that car and it's a shame you didn't keep it longer, especially after all the hard work and, in particular, the extensive rustproofing that you (or rather Krown) put into it. Please don't say scrapped!

8 hours ago, MantaGTE85 said:

Ian, have you found out what became of that red Favorit Estate that you owned some years back? I was really fond of that car and it's a shame you didn't keep it longer, especially after all the hard work and, in particular, the extensive rustproofing that you (or rather Krown) put into it. Please don't say scrapped!

It was in Copart last month as it happened, after a light rear-ender. Believe someone has bought it to save though.

9 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

He did one recently where it was a proper merry trip home, stopping off to visit places in some detail. Made a lovely change. He often seems to be on ridiculous timescales though so I guess he doesn't always have time.

I also liked that one and was a nice change from the usual rush to get home. Hope he will do more like this in the future.