Loopoo Sorting

purplebargeken

A service is always worthwhile, I presume yours has a coil pack rather than a coil and distributor ?

Make sure you use the correct PAS fluid, those should use green CHF.

Oil leaks from the top are usually the rocker cover gasket. Liberal application of Reizosil with a new gasket, and replacing the stupid rocker cover bolts should fix it.

@bunglebus is correct about the fuel cap. If it spins it's locked, and they can be temperamental. I'd normally replace them with a non-locking version.

Yep, rocker cover fucked, looks like it’s been a tad bodged previously and likely just unfortunate timing.  
Febi temp sensor arrived and fitted in a matter of seconds, no more dribble, phew. 
Sony Xplode Radio and CD player fitted. 

Loopoo dislike reduced by 12.7 percent.

Non-locking fuel cap has landed, can not be arsed with faffing around with a temperamental locking fuel cap.  

Found 4 or 5 spare dodo hex sound deadening mat. Will fling this at the underside of the bonnet as it’s just metal. 
Why not, it was just lying around.

Some Lupos came with underbonnet sound insulation as standard. I had retrofitted it to Mrs F's car, but it was still deafening at 70 due to the gear ratios of the 1-litre box.

I chose the rather more involved option of installing the 1.4-litre box to quieten my own Lupo down. It worked brilliantly.

Ffs, booked a mobile mechanic to come and do the rocker cover gasket and check the EML light, twice he couldn’t be arsed turning up. Well fuck you. Will do the gasket myself but there is a bewildering choice on eBay and the fb Lupo group can’t be arsed responding to my posts.

Which fecking gasket do I go for and what do I replace the shit VW rocker cover bolts with??

For the gasket, I think all UK-spec 1-litre models use the same one. Don't take my word for it, though ; search the Reinz online catalogue with your engine code.

As mentioned earlier, ignore what the VW workshop manual says and put a thin smear of sealant everywhere.

Stupid bolts are dealership-only, and £OUCH. I wouldn't substitute them with high-tensile bolts, as they won't clamp the rocker cover correctly, and you'll inevitably torque them up too much and bugger the threads (which go into the camshaft bearing caps - i.e. not something you want to be replacing).

Ours decided to put the EML on after an oil change for some reason. It then went off but would return on random occasions. Could be a connection got knocked when changing the oil filter?

Changing the fuel filter was worthwhile while for "performance". It's not that difficult to do - disable the fuel pump, jack up rear of car, remove filter near rear wheel, replace.