Jump to content

First cars with 6 digit odometer


Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

And  you're probably the right one to ask was the Mondeo the first Ford with 6 numbers?

Not the first I don't think - for example MK3 Granada (1992 model Furious Driving)

image.png.ccb9e336723ec60bb6bcdd1eafbd541a.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's interesting to see how much variation there was, not just between manufacturers but also different models from the same manufacturer. 

Although the 1985 Granada had 6 digits, the Sierra had 5 all the way through, being outclassed by the other new large hatchback for 1982, the Austin Ambassador which did have six!

And the Escort kept 5 digits until at least 1997.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, adw1977 said:

It's interesting to see how much variation there was, not just between manufacturers but also different models from the same manufacturer. 

Although the 1985 Granada had 6 digits, the Sierra had 5 all the way through, being outclassed by the other new large hatchback for 1982, the Austin Ambassador which did have six!

And the Escort kept 5 digits until at least 1997.

Transits had 5 digits well into the 1990s, I remember seeing something on TV about car auctions where someone was quick to point out one with 25,000 on the clock had probably done 125,000. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

Thinking of real digits all visible simultaneously, has there ever been a car with more than the 15 of the Nissan Bluebird?

1989 Nissan Bluebird 1.8GS (T72)

 

Good question. I can't think of anything else, other than my old 1989 Galant GTi (non-4wd 4ws sadly) that had a very similar arrangement with its two trip recorders.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 23/03/2024 at 18:51, Dyslexic Viking said:

 

And which was the last one with 5 digit odometer guessing Escort?

The Escort ditched the five-digit odometer in favour of a digital six-digit readout around the millennium, perhaps just before. About the same time as the Fiesta and Puma. 

The KA retained the five-digit odometer right up to when they switched from Endura to Duratec. I think the latest Endura-powered KAs were registered on a 52-plate.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Richard_FM said:

Transits had 5 digits well into the 1990s, I remember seeing something on TV about car auctions where someone was quick to point out one with 25,000 on the clock had probably done 125,000. 

The speedometer certainly made up for the odometer's lack of optimism.

It's been a while since I've driven one but I'm sure the speedo went all the way up to 150mph! 🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 24/03/2024 at 23:29, MrGTI6 said:

The speedometer certainly made up for the odometer's lack of optimism.

It's been a while since I've driven one but I'm sure the speedo went all the way up to 150mph! 🤣

My dad's ancient 1.3 Kent-engined '78 mk2 Escort van's speedo went up to 140. It very rarely managed to get over 65.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...