1987 Ford Sierra Sapphire 1.8L - Bonus E46 content - see page 39

Peter C

1 minute ago, stuboy said:

i think it looks good and kinda honest in its appearance , no fancy white walled showrooms, shiney tyre walls, and dropped on its aRSe.

wonder where it was first purchased from.

and are the tyres right size , look tall, could be im used to elastic band tyres..

It’s got some fancy Kwik Fit own brand tyres on the front. No great but plenty of tread.

1 hour ago, Peter C said:

What you don’t know yet is that last Friday, the day that the Sierra first came to my attention, I signed on the dotted line an agreement to lease a new daily, which will cost a lot more than the old Ford.

Bollocks, I prefer your reasoning.

It's thinking like that that's got me where I am today!

How this has worn through the layers of paint, I don't think there is loads of filler in this. At least on those bits. 

14.JPG

27.JPG

This bit is how filler goes when rusting underneath ime. I reckon a small repair patch is here on the left. Possibly a repair patch on the sill. 

23.JPG

Yes the car certainly isn't a minter but I think with a bit of titivation it'll look alright. I know you like your shiny cars but this tbf seems a pretty honest car. Just don't go poking the rusty bits. 

Clean it up, use it over spring and then maybe sell on when the weather warms up. 

Flip side you at least don't have to worry about keeping it pristine. 

It's not all that bad. I've just spent a while on eBay and the other classifieds looking for a better, cheaper Sierra and I don't think they exist. A bit of paint, touchup and polish will transform it. The interior looks great, which I think is actually more important than the bodywork since Sierra interiors (mostly the MK1s tbf) self-destruct like no other in a way that can only be fixed by sourcing unobtainium new bits.

@SiC

If I’m going to spend time and money on making the Sierra better then I’ll definitely want to enjoy it for longer than a few months.

My last W124, the one you saw when you picked up my Porsche, was pretty ropey when I got it, it needed lots of welding but I got through all that and turned it into a decent car, which is still going strong, albeit no longer in my custody.

I know you are a little disappointed, but you won't lose your shirt on this.

The interior is mint and the rust does not look terminal.

I don't think you would have a problem recouping a fair chunk of what you spent. Maybe all of it.

Just now, Cookiesouwest said:

I don't think you would have a problem recouping a fair chunk of what you spent. Maybe all of it.

Could even double your money by stencilling the phrase "OLD SKOOL" across the rear window.

• Haha 2

Fwiw, i reckon that looks a very, very solid base to work with. Scabby in places but nothing too alarming in there. Truthfully, it's way better than i'd have feared it'd be! Understand it might not be exactly what you hoped for, so it stings a bit, but pretty sure you'll find it still works out fairly well in the end.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

The seller just sent me photos of the logbook.

Evidently, someone hasn’t registered the car in their name as the car was MoTd in Glasgow last June and has spent time in Northern Ireland since and the last name on the logbook is:

Photo removed.

Does anyone know Roger?

3 minutes ago, JJ0063 said:

@Peter C just searched for the lad on FB and his cover photo is that gold Toyota I said about, I can’t find the bloody Sierra post now but it was deffo over 7k!

I paid £3,600 for the car and £400 for transport. Bargain!

Looking at the worn paint in places, I just wonder if someone’s had a go at machine polishing it and fucked up on the corners and hard edges!? That’s really extreme wear for a cover. 
It’s very similar to how my Mercury has worn in places from years of over use of a machine polisher.

It’s still a nice car though I think. £4k? No, probably not. But it’s still nice and it’s not been abused and beaten around by the usual old Ford types!

It's better not to include the delivery price in your mental man maths. Unless the car is around the corner you would end up paying a fair chunk for train tickets, petrol, time off work etc no matter what the car or where it was situated

so think of it more as a £3600 car

3 hours ago, Peter C said:

£4k for the Sierra was dear, 

Was the car not £3500 ?     I  personally wouldn't add the transport cost in as its not the cars fault its not on the street next to you.   

You don't get many sierras starting with a 3 these days and this one looks not to bad at all. I recon you will get it cleaned up pretty cost effective being a base colour then it will be the car your happy with.    I've bought from pictures trusting people's descriptions to find the vehicle was far from described on arrival, even had one described as rust free when you could physically stick your hands through the holes in the inner wings.   

I look forward to your updates on the tidy up.  

• Like 3

£3,600 for this car, by Sierra prices of 2023 certainly, is very fair. Plenty of Sapphire guys would be asking £4-5 for this and would probably get it. 

Yes, £3,600 buys you a much better Mercedes 124 and a perfect Camry/Corolla etc. 

But, sell this next month and I genuinely think you’d get every penny back. 

So the purchase price on the P&L is £0 really. The interior, which is almost irreplaceable, is lovely. 

You will have a queue of buyers by the time you’ve finished titivating. Honestly. 

1 hour ago, Peter C said:

The seller just sent me photos of the logbook.

Evidently, someone hasn’t registered the car in their name as the car was MoTd in Glasgow last June and has spent time in Northern Ireland since and the last name on the logbook is:

IMG_3639.thumb.png.e51e22829a5772263247d8b7a5448651.png

Does anyone know Roger?

He was CEO for General Motors in the late '80s-early '90s.

17 minutes ago, Sunny Jim said:

Top sleuthing @JJ0063 but I'm not sure I'd want my name and address and a picture of my house online on an open forum.

I agree. This is an open part of the forum and doxing a randomer with full name/address/house pic/FB profile is a bit on dodgy ground. 

9 minutes ago, SiC said:

I agree. This is an open part of the forum and doxing a randomer with full name/address/house pic/FB profile is a bit on dodgy ground. 

I agree the photo of the V5 should be removed, I purposely cropped the address out of the streetview screenshot 👍

Deffo do the cambelt. The 1.6 was interference and the 2.0 freewheeling which makes the 1.8????????

IMHO, just park it up in dry storage and punt it on again in five years for a tidy profit.

3 hours ago, Peter C said:

It’s got some fancy Kwik Fit own brand tyres on the front. No great but plenty of tread.

If it has got such a low mileage I'd be expecting to see Motorcraft service parts everywhere.

It’s a real shame the paint has rubbed through on the corners.  That’s preventable damage.  Easily the biggest let down to these eyes.  

The rest of the car looks sound.  A bit of titivation to the sills and rear arch required, but you’re good at that.  I really enjoyed seeing the white W124 being brought up to scratch and I’ll enjoy this just as much.

Interior is lovely and I think that alone validates the mileage.

Don’t get too hung up on £3,600.  Plenty of people would’ve paid that for it.  I think with some of your attention, you’ll have a £5,000 car in 18 months or so.  You know what Ford values are like!

Looking forward to more.

• Agree 3

Different machinery but take a look at this Merc 190 on Facebook.

Last owner 16 years and 65,000 miles.  Very very toppy for a four pot at £5,000.

Now look at the body.  Dent under the numberplate.  Rear bumper looks really tatty.  Gouge by OSR lamp.  Really bad gouge across the rear quarter into the OSR door.  ‘Hammer on’ wheel weights used on an alloy.  Rotten at the OS lower corner of the rear window.   If the rest of the car is as ‘good’ as what can be seen here, you’d double the purchase price at a stroke.

These cars are really REALLY old now.  Both the Ford and the Merc.

E2848A74-B2D7-4671-A3FE-0D5383B581BB.png

The colour is Maritime Blue, should be an easy match for any half decent paint place to make up. 

You might even find NOS cans in an old school motor factors. 

I wouldn’t bother with Hammerite, it’s not that much cheaper than a matched can. 

2 hours ago, Spiny Norman said:

Sorry guys, that's bang out of order posting someone's personal info on the public part of the forum.

Quoting it doesn’t help now I have deleted it, you’ve made it so it still shows.

My post only contained a FB account which is public information, and a photo of a house which I cropped any identifiable address wording out of. I have however deleted my post. 

I agree the photo of the V5 that the OP posted wasn’t wise.

5 hours ago, MJK 24 said:

Different machinery but take a look at this Merc 190 on Facebook.

Last owner 16 years and 65,000 miles.  Very very toppy for a four pot at £5,000.

Now look at the body.  Dent under the numberplate.  Rear bumper looks really tatty.  Gouge by OSR lamp.  Really bad gouge across the rear quarter into the OSR door.  ‘Hammer on’ wheel weights used on an alloy.  Rotten at the OS lower corner of the rear window.   If the rest of the car is as ‘good’ as what can be seen here, you’d double the purchase price at a stroke.

These cars are really REALLY old now.  Both the Ford and the Merc.

E2848A74-B2D7-4671-A3FE-0D5383B581BB.png

Whoa whoa whoa. Don’t bring people who overpaid for shit 190s into this. 

25 minutes ago, Conrad D. Conelrad said:

Whoa whoa whoa. Don’t bring people who overpaid for shit 190s into this. 

But I am one of these people myself!

• Like 1

Just found out that I won yesterday, got the most liked content, thanks to this thread.

IMG_3642.thumb.png.35153d0bb638261a4e080f4ab213fb65.png

That only happened once before, the day I bought this in June 2021:

IMG_3448.thumb.jpeg.ac62bc1e1f3969e128796ab0798470b1.jpeg

Seems that old Fords do it for you guys!