My project cars thread. Maestro fettling

JMotor

45 minutes ago, grogee said:

There was a quite ratty Maestro in the tat thread about a year ago, it had a supercharged A-series with lots of purple anodozed aluminum go-faster bits. 

I have to admit, I'd love to try it. 

I remember that one too. Kinda pointless in a way. If you're going to charge an a series you'd do it in a mini or metro or midget etc. If you wanted a faster maestro you'd just buy one.

All that said the pointlessness of it all was exactly what made it so cool 😎 

• Agree 2

Remember finding some one on the Maestro/Montego forum had found an old Moto-Build guide to tuning the Maestro. With some select parts you could get your 1300 nearly to standard 1600 MG Maestro power.

I'd love to convert mine to EFI using Mini bits. On the other hand I like the idea of using a 135 K-Series out of TF. 

Rear dampers have arrived. 

I will be keeping an eye out for complete standard shock and spring units to rebuild with the new dampers. I just want the top mount gubbins for making up a full set, makes for an easier swap without the car being sat for too long.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, JMotor said:

Remember finding some one on the Maestro/Montego forum had found an old Moto-Build guide to tuning the Maestro. With some select parts you could get your 1300 nearly to standard 1600 MG Maestro power.

I'd love to convert mine to EFI using Mini bits. On the other hand I like the idea of using a 135 K-Series out of TF. 

I will be keeping an eye out for complete standard shock and spring units to rebuild with the new dampers. I just want the top mount gubbins for making up a full set, makes for an easier swap without the car being sat for too long.

Word of caution - the rear shock top mounts are unobtanium. 

I got mine from one of the giffers on the Maestro site who had made a batch out of something (polyurethane?). He may have more available, do a search. 

They are a simple cylindrical shape from memory, so may be possible to bodge something else. 

You will need them because the originals go all puffy and flaky and useless. 

Ah yes, good old NAM1181. 

Another NLA number to add to the list.

Look to be made from a foam type material. I might have found something similar that could work, but I'd need to get some and find out

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JMotor said:

K series would be a terrific shout 👏 

5 minutes ago, Matty said:

K series would be a terrific shout 👏 

I've thought about a T series conversion for mine, apparently it's the O series block with a 16v head on it. If I come across a suitable Rover 800 donor I might well do it. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, grogee said:

I've thought about a T series conversion for mine, apparently it's the O series block with a 16v head on it. If I come across a suitable Rover 800 donor I might well do it. 

Also this. Now if you could find a rotten 620T....

Rover tested M-, T-, and K-Series engines by fitting them to Maestros. I'm 90% sure the former two are incredibly easy swaps due to their shared heritage with the O-Series. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Matty said:

Also this. Now if you could find a rotten 620T....

unnamed.jpg.8c8f3c5a1b8341b41b1074b988448a2c.jpg

Andy Nicholls ran a big power T-Series in this until he switched to a 200/ZR.

Regular in the TOTB circles. Stupid quick 1/4 mile times.

19 hours ago, grogee said:

Do believe (if AR online is correct) they did plan fitting the M-Series engine into a facelifted Montego that never happened. 

But yes it'll just about physically drop in as it's O-series based. Same PG1 gearbag too.

19 hours ago, Twin-Cam said:

Rover tested M-, T-, and K-Series engines by fitting them to Maestros. I'm 90% sure the former two are incredibly easy swaps due to their shared heritage with the O-Series. 

What he said. 

Remember reading they used Maestro and Montegos as test mules for the 1400 K-Series before they shoved them into the R8's. 

I'd love to do the K-Series swap as it's been done a few times and with some select parts there is no modifications required to the shell. Maybe have to fabricate a mount that fits the drivers chassis leg. 

Be tempting I might to keep an look out for a cheap but running MG TF and a rotten Diesel Monstro for other parts. But only if they turn up local. 

Seen one fella Z20LEH (Astra VXR) swap his and it goes like a bloody rocket! 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Twin-Cam said:

Oh, and K-Series best series.

I just love them.

A very clever much maligned engine.

• Agree 3

4 hours ago, Twin-Cam said:

They used them for pretty much everything; the mules for the Freelander drivetrain were Maestro vans.

28 minutes ago, somewhatfoolish said:

They used them for pretty much everything; the mules for the Freelander drivetrain were Maestro vans.

Weren't the Freelander mules just a set of Maestro-looking panels over the actual Freelander, rather than an actual real-life Maestro?

Possibly, I only saw them from a distance and never had the opportunity to be nosy.

12 hours ago, Twin-Cam said:

Weren't the Freelander mules just a set of Maestro-looking panels over the actual Freelander, rather than an actual real-life Maestro?

Found this site a while back; here's the answer to your question:

https://www.dunsfoldcollection.co.uk/collection/freelander/mule-prototype-cb40-brake-test-hack#v

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Twin-Cam said:

There may have been both but a Land Rover beard I know says there were definitely Maestro vans used to test FL running gear. Makes a lot of sense I suppose. 

Similarly, Jaguar used the F-Pace body to test I-Pace electrics, they even had fake exhaust pipes fitted. 

On 08/10/2024 at 13:06, JMotor said:

Found some springs, not cheap though. Seller may budge on price especially if they don't sell:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/116351626098

There's also a KYB rear shock but it's only a single so a bit useless really. 

1 hour ago, grogee said:

There's also a KYB rear shock but it's only a single so a bit useless really. 

Cheers @grogee.

Not to worry. Got two of the Monroe rears off eBay now. 

Sent a cheeky bid on the fronts. I'll see what he says. If the part numbers are right, I should have the correct ones for a Petrol car. 

Springs will come later as I can afford to wait. 

• Like 2

Offer rejected on the shocks.

Wonder why that is. Then I seen this.

Screenshot_20241009-1753372.png.7e46d577d188bd9d88623eecf91a5798.png

Fuc...

Fudge! 

That is standard eBay for out of stock, but don't want to re-list if there if more suddenly appear.

Sat next to the Maestro as I type this.

Brake pedal never felt right to me. I thought I'd do an investigation to why.

DSC_0938.JPG.38b3fdaa99cc1a6ae8e6b7865e6c905b.JPG

Made sure to be careful with the L/H hub nut. If you own/owned one of these you'll know why.

Quite easy to strip and rebuild the back brakes. Found the quadrant for the handbrake adjustment was seized on both sides. Typical Maestro/Montego.

DSC_0939.JPG.10005372f6e72f98f404d1426023bf99.JPG

Freed and copper slipped. Built the brakes back up and now have a much better feeling brake pedal and the handbrake locks up as it should.

Think that's it for now mechanically. I badly want to sort the rear arches. On the other hand, think I may pudding them up again for a short term bodge. 

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, JMotor said:

Think that's it for now mechanically. I badly want to sort the rear arches. On the other hand, think I may pudding them up again for a short term bodge. 

No arch panels available unless you're very lucky. I think someone on the Maestro forum used arches from something else but can't remember what. 

Mine was done with 1 arch panel and 1 front wing used to create the outer lip. By a professional person - not me, although I supplied the bits.

@vulgalour has done videos on arch replacement - his was red, too

19 minutes ago, grogee said:

No arch panels available unless you're very lucky. I think someone on the Maestro forum used arches from something else but can't remember what. 

Mine was done with 1 arch panel and 1 front wing used to create the outer lip. By a professional person - not me, although I supplied the bits.

@vulgalour has done videos on arch replacement - his was red, too

Think I’m right in saying mk2 golf repair arches are a good match for the rear and a lot more available, maybe the fronts as well? 

• Agree 2

I gave up looking for actual Maestro replacement rear arches ages ago.

Got plastic bumper front wings that can replace the dog leg on the sill to arch sections and I was advised by someone on the FB to also use MK2 Golf arches which is what I'll do. 

Before that happens. I have created another problem for myself.

DSC_0942.JPG.69d2858bced8d75ad46d92c21dfed1a2.JPG

Tried raising the front suspension up an inch.

I was tempting fate with trying to loosen that off. No loss as those collars were rounded off anyway and it's only one side.

For now, I'll get another pair of collars and fix this as a temp measure. 

• Sad 3

When I had coilovers on my GTI I used to slather them in any old grease from work. Kept them in good nick and free but made it a dirty job to work under the arches.

It's based off a Monstro axle.

But they used a different top mount, kinda similar to the Honda two bolt set up used in the R8. 

I have had a delivery of some from another make of car and they look promising. I'll reveal what they are from once I measure them up to the original ones.

Edit - photo of said bush.

DSC_0943.JPG.7ee65670409d650c74b354d28898b806.JPG