Communal MK3 Cavalier Thread

Split_Pin

On 3/3/2021 at 8:08 PM, Split_Pin said:

I'm hoping it's not because the bulkhead is rotten above the part of the footwell that holds the ECU. They like to go there.

Cheers for the offer, I may take you up on that, I will provide some money for that though

I would normally just have driven this home and done the fault finding in my garage  but I didn't want to drive it without an MOT except straight to the test station. 

My garage are good at fixing stuff but they are short on time so fault finding is not something they have time for right now. The paperclip test is an idea but I'm not sure there are any fault codes stored as the EML isnt on.

I wonder where I would stand with just getting them to do the welding, which they aren't worried about tackling and then driving it home? 

From my understanding with the current Mot regs. If a vehicle fails the Mot, providing it wasn't a major / dangerous do not drive fault. Then you should be legally ok to drive a failed vehicle home or to a place for repairs. So if you got them to sort out the welding first, then you should be alright. 

Hopefully the bulkhead still good, as when I replaced the holed front carpet It was sound. Admittedly this was over 10 years ago now. 

But if you do want to try another ECU, just let me know and I will look asap to see if I still have the spare in the loft. I couldn't accept a payment for it though, if it means that my old Cav can stay on the road then I more than happy with that. 

Phoned the garage again, they still haven't managed to get a look at it just yet. Maybe next week.

If theres still been no movement by month end then I'm just going to get it back and offer it up here for what I paid for it as is. I'd like it to live on  but you're going to be onto a real head scratcher on why its overfueling. The garage can't get to the bottom of it. Emissions are an absolute mile out.

I had hoped to be driving and enjoying it by now instead of being disappointed that I can't. 

• 3 weeks later...

Well its back.

20210326_095007.thumb.jpg.7bacd82a9933cedb2f27f574fb3a0402.jpg

Courier was actually brand new, I'd use them again.

Key is now stuck in the ignition permanently. Thankfully the immobiliser key is so awful to try and get it to work, even if someone did get a hold of it, they'd never start it!

Running OK.

Its taking up space though. I'm going to give it a wash on my lunch break to make it look a bit better. It needs a clean inside too, will do later.

Realistically it needs to go as I've lost heart with it completely after being fucked about by the garage for a month. At least now its in my possession I can try and ensure that it goes to a good home.

20210326_101310.thumb.jpg.cd5614c39437234889caa0829b534065.jpg

Right, lunchtime,  time for a wash.

20210326_125854.thumb.jpg.3a0d6e6d70aba8ceeadf6d15015e3601.jpg

Topped up the fluids, header tank was empty. Oil still clean looking which is good.

Most important things first, get rid of those post 2001 numberplates.

20210326_125458.thumb.jpg.1071316a790934f19730dc3558b39510.jpg

20210326_125627.thumb.jpg.dce1e62b8776848e8c50d318e707eb20.jpg

Note the hailstones scoring across the picture. 

20210326_125838.thumb.jpg.1abdf471c61e6f4886632adbf205dea4.jpg

Here is the rust around the towbar mount. There is what looks like bathroom sealant here.

20210326_123707.thumb.jpg.0207b89845de62c9b0f67e8761dca8ad.jpg

20210326_123855.thumb.jpg.8f43939a53d6087e0180dc1a23d34a45.jpg

Anyway, towbar is bolted to a bracket  so if I leave the bracket in place I can still remove the towbar thus negating the prescribed area. It still feels solid enough as well.  Towbar is held on with 6 bolts.

And the hole in the boot floor.

20210326_123814.thumb.jpg.51591c752a6b8e37e43d1c5841526e37.jpg

Carpets are dry, bulkhead looks good so I can assume the ECU is OK.

Some dodgy looking Scotchlocks covered in oil around the wiring for the throttle body, I don't think they are causing an issue right now though but those would need sorted.

Headlights were failed on beam pattern but apart from a bit of condensation look fine to me?

20210326_125258.thumb.jpg.c43f2cc15f4b6e023aa2efb6e257c0ff.jpg

Next thing to do it to test the resistance of the wiring to the coolant temperature sensor.

On 2/24/2021 at 7:52 PM, sierraman said:

Excellent. 

Odd bit of trivia for you, Ritchie Edwards from the Manic Street Preachers had an L reg Cavalier LS. He disappeared in it leaving it at Severn Services filled with his stuff.

69E5794A-1526-4F0A-851F-30398DBDC675.jpeg.0cf84a64b39f2ae31bd723dffc5e48d7.jpeg

Lasted until September  2003 according to the Doovla.

We had a Cav as a training vehicle when I did my college apprenticeship. G617 FVF, a 1989 2.0 CDi with 69k on the clock.
647EBE1A-D358-4FEB-A8CE-660C84D3F6BF.jpeg.032ad8e18c2eba5a46dbd50284c4e617.jpeg

According to the teacher, it was seized by the Norfolk Constabulary in 1994 as it had been a drug ring pool car used for delivering drugs across East Anglia. It wouldn’t have taken a lot to get it put back on the road as it was in really good nick, and with nothing broken or stolen from it from students which was quite rare.

Obviously, the Cav I’d like to have now is that one we all know and love*.....

B203AC76-D3EA-4627-80AD-35B4016FA55F.thumb.jpeg.b6e72ed6121f1ec3eeeeba1d64d1797a.jpeg

3 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

Phoned round all the garages in my area, none of them carry out welding.

My wife has also said that she will not allow me to weld anywhere near the house.

Never mind the Cavalier, this does not bode well for all of my fleet.

What about SOS in Falkirk? I got an MoT on my Civic there today. They welded both my MX5s. First one nicely and all painted. Second MoT standard. He does older cars and has a rolling road for tuning. 

18 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

We had a chat about it, she's just worried that I have no experience and would be going into it blind. After that I'm fine to go ahead.

I have had an offer of welding practice though which is great and I will be taking up!

You might be coming out if it blind if you forget to pull the helmet down when you start welding. 🤣

4 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

Phoned round all the garages in my area, none of them carry out welding.

My wife has also said that she will not allow me to weld anywhere near the house.

Never mind the Cavalier, this does not bode well for all of my fleet.

I’m not sure where you live in the Central Belt but my friends place in Carluke would most certainly weld the Cav for you, he would most likely collect it too. 

1 hour ago, Cheezey said:

What about SOS in Falkirk? I got an MoT on my Civic there today. They welded both my MX5s. First one nicely and all painted. Second MoT standard. He does older cars and has a rolling road for tuning. 

I've been on their rolling road a few years ago, didn't know they had a garage. Currently got the offer of some welding education  from a shiter which would be the best route but its good to know there's a place near me that would do that if it was a bigger job.

8 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

I've been on their rolling road a few years ago, didn't know they had a garage. Currently got the offer of some welding education  from a shiter which would be the best route but its good to know there's a place near me that would do that if it was a bigger job.

Yeah, full garage, doing MoTs as well now. They have a body shop as well. He would pass the headlights as well. 

I've been spurred on by the level of support on here so I don't think there's any doubt that it will live on in my ownership. 

Emissions were way off but on looking at the MOT history of similar Cavs, they are all the same. Some foutering with the dizzy/leads is required as its 'chuffing' occasiinally at idle, some cataclean and an oil change and I reckon it won't be too far off. I'll enjoy that bit though!

12 hours ago, Burnside said:

@Split_Pin sorry to hear you haven't had any luck with the garage on the Mot etc.

What's the score now, are you keeping it and taking up the offer's on the welding, or is my old Cav for sale? 

If so count me in as interested, it's been too good a car for me to let it meet a sad end. 

No need to worry, shiter has offered to teach me to weld and the Cav will be fixed at that time. I just might need to wait a wee bit until lockdown ends. Even if to just prove all these garages wrong!

1 hour ago, Tickman said:

Can we mark this day in the calendar that @sierramandidn't say scrap it ;)

I know but the times there’s been a thread where someone has gone ‘Engine smokes, gearbox graunches all the time, interior is a tip and it needs the sills welding back on, I’ll remortgage my house and live on a diet of bread and cheese to save this 1999  Rover 416 as there’s only 625 of them left’ is beyond belief. 

The Cavalier is a hobby for him and it looks an otherwise tidy motor. 

I'm glad @Split_Pinis getting sorted with getting the Chavalier fixed.

Yes, there is much better looking and driving cars. Yet, I like the no nonsense dependability you get from them. Sometimes that's enough. 

Well it's how I feel about my Nexia. A Car that just does car things is worth having. 

There is very little that will kill one mechanically. Just the usual rot creeps in. That one is very much fixable by someone who will just get stuck in.