The grumpy thread

outlaw118

1 hour ago, beko1987 said:

Always used to be. But when I enquired just before covid hit I was told they don't do it anymore. 

My doctors then went into full 'fuck off and don't come here unless it's for a covid jab' for the last few years so I haven't bothered. Tbh I'm gonna bend over and pay and hear again then maybe call up and enquire if the world calms down in a month or so. 

The car isn't going to sound as smooth or quiet anymore though 😂

Its something I have to have done a couple of times a year, every single time when I gets done I swear theres something wrong with the car due to all the new* things I can hear! As my owd Gran used to say after having hers done 'I can hear the grass grow now'.

3 hours ago, beko1987 said:

Finally cracked and went to the place in town that pressure washes ears. Got an appointment at 2.15,£75! 😭

I'm desperate enough that if it works ill be happy but fuck me it used to be a 10 minute nurses appointment at 07.45 once every 3 months... 

The lady who does it was on her way out but she shoved a torch in me quickly, and the ear I can't hear out of at all isn't too bad, the one with the better hearing is the worse 😂

Have you tried this stuff ?

Seems to work for me , sounds like Rice Crispies in yer ears !!

IMG_20220125_160547026.thumb.jpg.0f3b0392edab2a5472aebfcb7320e16c.jpg

I always found the old way the best - big fo syringe filled with hot soapy water, nurse used to fire it in whilst holding a little cup beneath your ear, she'd show you the great big cylinder of wax that had popped out and you'd hear popping and bubbling for a bit but you could hear so well again. Don't do that round our way now, it's a kind of small pressure washer blasting all the crap out. Always disappoints me as there is no large lump of wax to look at anymore just dirty shit coloured liquid.

2 hours ago, mitsisigma01 said:

Have you tried this stuff ?

Seems to work for me , sounds like Rice Crispies in yer ears !!

IMG_20220125_160547026.thumb.jpg.0f3b0392edab2a5472aebfcb7320e16c.jpg

No but that's the sort of thing I need to keep it maintained! 

I went, I paid my £75 and can hear again! Might see how much specsavers charge next time, but equally if I don't just leave it until I wake up one morning and they've clogged it might not have to happen for a while

7 hours ago, sierraman said:

I thought this would be something you’d have resolved on the NHS?

Not anymore. Having wax taken out of your ears so you can actually hear is apparently now a lifestyle choice, so not available on the NHS. 

All the NHS will do now is to tell you to put a couple of drops of olive oil in the affected ear daily until it sorts itself out. If you want it sorted faster then you'll have to pay someone to vac it out. 

1 hour ago, beko1987 said:

No but that's the sort of thing I need to keep it maintained!

Be careful of using anything hydroxide/peroxide based long term, it can dry out the skin in your ear to the extent it can damage it and also the eardrum. For long term maintenance you're best off using the few drops of olive oil (the worst it'll do is give you really well moisturised ears). 

Because I wear ear defenders a lot(my workplace is an engine room) I get a lot of wax build up; I find that taking really hot showers(as hot as you can bear) and directing the water into the ears repeatedly helps to mobilise it and it mostly comes out on its own. Not an instant fix(one time I was partially deaf in the right ear for a fortnight until a pea sized lump of wax fell out) so don't give up if it doesn't work straight away. It beats having to pay someone to sort it or squirting peroxide in my ears anyway.

Years ago after getting sick of having my ears syringed twice a year I went for the natural Hopi ear candle treatment, very straight forward, lie on your side, fit bird rams a candle type thing in your ear and sets it alight. Ten minutes later its supposed to vacuum all the crap out your ear through the hollow centre of the candle. I don't think it worked, it never seemed too, but my mind was on other things as all I could see was the ample cleavage of the young lass stood in front of me gentle sliding a beeswax lubed candle in and out of my ear. The image has been stored in the wank-bank every since 😂.

1 hour ago, mintwth said:

Not anymore. Having wax taken out of your ears so you can actually hear is apparently now a lifestyle choice, so not available on the NHS. 

All the NHS will do now is to tell you to put a couple of drops of olive oil in the affected ear daily until it sorts itself out. If you want it sorted faster then you'll have to pay someone to vac it out. 

Be careful of using anything hydroxide/peroxide based long term, it can dry out the skin in your ear to the extent it can damage it and also the eardrum. For long term maintenance you're best off using the few drops of olive oil (the worst it'll do is give you really well moisturised ears). 

Olive oil is where I'll go, I got a dropper from boots and tried it a fair while ago, will keep doing that every so often! 

I tried the shower trick too, didn't work but again, as a regular wash it will help

I too suffer from the occasional deafness brought on be excess ear wax. Slightly improved since I don't have to wear ear plugs every day now.

Never had any luck with the ear drops/olive oil, they just seem to soften it enough that it completely blocks my ear but never enough to actually shift it. Hot water down the lug hole has a similar effect.

2 hours ago, mintwth said:

Olive oil is not recommended if you wear an hearing aid, can gum it up or something.

I use Sodium  bicarbonate. You have to use the drops for several days before they work, so I never*  press it down a bit with my ear lobe.

I too can get syringed on the NHS at times, but depends who you see. 

Got stuck in a long line of traffic on a fast A road with good straights and no cameras . Traffic bunched up as no one would overtake and refused to leave spaces for others to do so. 10th in the queue was too much for one pass even for a Subaru.

What really annoyed me was cars further up the queue included an RS4 and a 350Z, trundling behind a bus at 40mph.

I once had bad ear ache so i asked the wife to heat some olive oil up a little on a teaspoon and pour it into my lughole, Without thinking she warmed it up briefly on the hob and poured it in. I think they heard the screams 20 miles away.

3 hours ago, Lankytim said:

I once had bad ear ache so i asked the wife to heat some olive oil up a little on a teaspoon and pour it into my lughole, Without thinking she warmed it up briefly on the hob and poured it in. I think they heard the screams 20 miles away.

After having a welding spark land in my ear when I was wedged under an MX5 in the rain at the side of a busy road, you have all my sympathy

On 1/25/2022 at 7:26 PM, mintwth said:

For long term maintenance you're best off using the few drops of olive oil (the worst it'll do is give you really well moisturised ears

And it will make your earwax nuggets taste more Mediterranean , maybe add to a salad instead of croutons 😬😀

I was in a fair stinker of a mood until (see the bottom of this)

Was meant to be going out for a coffee with a lassie I haven't seen in ages but she's had to cancel due to being not well. I was a wee bit sad about that like.

Oh plus the small Mercedes van in front of me that floored it on the only good straight bit of road, you can ram it.

Oh and that Golf up my backside, didn't like it when I tapped the brake, did you? :D

Edit - I didn't slow the car down when tapping the brakes. I know how to press it to bring on the lights and no more. I ensured there was nothing behind the Golf too.

Good news - off uni tomorrow!!

Annnnd just tested positive for 19covids. 

It's absolutely everywhere in the primary where I teach so it was inevitable eventually. Symptoms so far include mild aches and pains, nose like a tap, headache and just generally feeling rough. I'm surprised it's taken this long really. Damn frustrating though. 

Edit: Feeling rougher than a badger's arse right now.