The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Another 2CV has a kiss with death, I know it's his car he can do what he likes etc but it does seem very wasteful when it's on a tidy old thing like that.

http://retrorides.proboards.com/thread/166682/1987-sh-troen

I think his use of the word 'fender' annoys me more.

I reckon that 2CV is hiding grot. Why does every 'controversial' thread in RR end up in a tedious bitch fight?

Depending on what you want the car to do, lowering can be useful - if done properly. My Amazon is an inch lower and the 460 will receive some kind of suspension upgrade, too. The chassis is too wobbly for the engine IMHO. At no point will I reach for the junior hacksaw, neither do I see myself as some kind of inspired renegade, I'll just set both cars up to how I want them to drive.

Certainly, an occasional 'what the fuck did you do that for?' comment goes a long way towards education.

• Like 3

Not in that way. Not even close....

The question was about lowering. We've probably all modified cars to some extent and I expect there are loads of people on RR (and other forums) who think we're wrong to like the cars that we do, or whatever it is we do with said cars.

I don't necessarily agree with some of the modifications seen on RR, but this isn't RR and never will be, undoubtably they feel the same. There's been enough stuff on here to last forever about the wrongs/rights of RR and it's caused enough bad feeling in the past not to rear it's ugly head again, purely in my own personal opinion that is. 

• Like 1

I expect there are loads of people on RR (and other forums) who think we're wrong to like the cars that we do, or whatever it is we do with said cars.

Yes, but they all are wrong.

• Like 2

Basically, you pay for the car, you do whatever the fuck you want with it:)

Life is too short people. I have my cars the way I want them, and it brings me enjoyment.

Certainly basic maintenance should be a given, and safety should be considered if it is to be used on the road. Beyond that it's personal taste and the size of your wallet.

Ì don't like one 'type' or style of car I just like cars..

Anyway. Here I am sitting in St. Neots sixth form college, sorry academy and looking around the carpark all I can see is wall to wall moderns. So? Well these are owned by the students of the sixth form, not the teachers! These are all payed for by mummy or daddy, I presume.

Jeez, when I did sixth form the Lucky ones who could afford to drive had fucked ADO16s and minis with their arses hanging out of them. The rest of us walked or catched the bus. I have never seen so many uber privalidged kiddies with no sense of the cost of things.

Hot weather meaning fewer clothes though...

• Like 3

St Neots, oh yes, used to love it when the A45 went through the town, market day provided some wondous perving as you inched through in the jams.

Anyway. Here I am sitting in St. Neots sixth form college, sorry academy and looking around the carpark

You're in a sixth form college and you're looking at cars?  

That's where you're going wrong.

• Like 9

Anyway. Here I am sitting in St. Neots sixth form college, sorry academy and looking around the carpark all I can see is wall to wall moderns. So? Well these are owned by the students of the sixth form, not the teachers! These are all payed for by mummy or daddy, I presume.

What, Longsands?

I went to Kimbolton, along the road, and we all had such silly blazers that getting beaten up by Longsands students was an ever-present risk. Happy days...

Basically, you pay for the car, you do whatever the fuck you want with it:)

Life is too short people. I have my cars the way I want them, and it brings me enjoyment.

Certainly basic maintenance should be a given, and safety should be considered if it is to be used on the road. Beyond that it's personal taste and the size of your wallet.

Ì don't like one 'type' or style of car I just like cars..

All well, and I agree fully, but it shouldn't lead to someone voicing his opinion about a certain car/mod being told to STFU and FRO, no?

No, it definately shouldnt.

The chap wants to put a BMW engine into his 2CV...well, its not what I would do, but all power to him. HOWEVER, is he capable of it? I have no idea...perhaps he is a skilled fabricator and has the tools and skills to safely fit the engine. On the other hand, perhaps he has seen a few body-swap threads online and thought "meh, just a bit of grinding and welding, I can do that with my second hand gasless SIP welder...." which will probably mean the car gets chopped up, sits under a tarp on his drive for six months then gets weighed in.

It would be nice if someone could voice that sort of concern over there, but I certainly wont as it would invariably be shouted down with the old "if youve got nothing nice to say blah blah blah" 

• Like 2

Was it funnier in real life?

I haven't seen the TV broadcast but other years there were big chunks cut out. Not all of it was funny. I went to get a Drink When Jonathan Ross came on.

Jeez, when I did sixth form the Lucky ones who could afford to drive had fucked ADO16s and minis with their arses hanging out of them. The rest of us walked or catched the bus. I have never seen so many uber privalidged kiddies with no sense of the cost of things.

Hot weather meaning fewer clothes though...

Some of those 6th formers could be working their arses off to pay for those cars, don't assume either that if mummy and daddy have paid for them that the kids don't appreciate it or know how much hardwork goes into providing them.

Education is one of the most important things in life,I'm guessing from your talk of 1100s and Minis you were lucky enough to have had free university places if you wanted them, the poor sods in 6th form now will end up with £30,000 plus debt when they graduate , so give them a break if mummy and daddy want to help them along with a couple of grands worth of Fiat 500 or MINI.

Putting a BMW engine into a 2CV is quite easy, because my mate sells a kit to do so. Axle moving is a lot trickier though and makes 'big bag of wank' quite likely. It has been done before.

Before crying too hard about modifiers, don't forget that a lot of so-called enthusiasts ruin cars, quite often by pretending they'll restore it some day, then not. I admit a low car looks nice, but my driving style and the roads I frequent prefer actual suspension travel.

All well, and I agree fully, but it shouldn't lead to someone voicing his opinion about a certain car/mod being told to STFU and FRO, no?

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. No qualms re that. My comment is as much about not getting worked up at what others say about your car/choice/whatever as it is about others and their opinions.

That said, "opinions" that are just attacks on a person, rather than reasoned observation and critique, are pretty much useless

I've been reading that thread myself. What a precious little fellow. Plenty of ACTUAL REAL people voiced negative opinions about my Elise (matt black, stripped out, dayglo orange wheels) and I took it without crying like a bitch.

You should hear what some people have to say about brown Rovers with orange interiors.

Me included on certain days.

I suppose there's only so much praise a man can cope with:)

• Like 2

I can't read that link ^^^

What is the mare attached to ?

It got hit by a train in an ironic post.

Plenty of ACTUAL REAL people voiced negative opinions about my Elise (matt black, stripped out, dayglo orange wheels)...

RLY?

I quite like the sound of that!

:)

It was years ago. Probably have some photos somewhere. I bought it off my cousin who went to all the trouble of building it even though he was too tall to drive it.

Did some work on the sd1.

Managed to get a secondhand indicator stalk, which did'nt cure the non working indicators.

Hazard switch was the culprit, even though it worked - indicators obviously wired through it.

Still had to fit new stalk because I buggered the old one!

Had an offer for extended warranty for my one month old washing machine - a bargain at £118 for a year.

Robbing bastards - two years warranty payments will buy a replacement.

I haven't seen the TV broadcast but other years there were big chunks cut out. Not all of it was funny. I went to get a Drink When Jonathan Ross came on.

Most people do.

My question wasn't so much about why people mod cars but why every single one of them, no matter the car, wants it lowered. It's like a special look at me badge and has noting to do with how they think the car will handle.

Example is I was paying for petrol the other day. Guy behind the counter says "is it a fiesta, "yes", "you should get some coilovers on that". Er what??

Related to lowered suspension that fucking st has broken yet another spring due to its rock hardness. 3rd sodding one now. pos is also making some weird noise when revving bet it's something to do with the timing belt.

Still I'm thick, had it for new so I suppose I bet get it fixed, fucked if I'm doing it though