The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Horseradish mutter, mutter, mutter, mutter. Arse.

Buy some of Mrs PBK's first choice, empty it out and replace contents with Tesco Finest.

Then laugh inwardly as she totally fails to notice any difference!

Did similar with Mrs Beard and Strawberry Jam.

:-)

Edit. Also replaced some "Orkney mature cheddar" with some Spar stuff at a third of the price. Same packet, cheap cheese.

" Wow, love this cheese"....... Lol!

Apparently there really was as accident, but the guy only got the drivers name, nothing else, no address, no reg,, nothing. the insurers have done a search of the dvla records and have found a person with the same name, i.e my mother in law. They don't have the other drivers details to speak to then direct, although i'm sure they are entitled to them by law, seeing as there's been an "accident"

The DVLA wouldn't do such a vague search, it's like getting blood out of a stone even when you're asking something very specific.

If someone with the same name as your mother-in-law was in an accident, it's unlikely they live near her. If by an amazing coincidence they do, it's almost impossible to believe they drive the same make, model and colour of car.

If they still insist on paying this person, kick up a stink with the insurers-official complaint, followed by a complaint to the ombudsman. 

The accident happened in a totally different part of the country to where she lives. TBH nobody she speaks to seems to know what the hell is going on, other that they think she's been in an accident and is trying to cover it up.

Besides, the person who was involved in the accident was a circa 25 year old blonde bird, and the MIL is in her 50's and brunette. Even if her car WAS involved in an accident, it's obvious it wasn't her who was driving, so how could they pay up anyway? 

The whole lot stinks of shit.

I double dare you to go to a local music shop and pull it out.

The accident happened in a totally different part of the country to where she lives. TBH nobody she speaks to seems to know what the hell is going on, other that they think she's been in an accident and is trying to cover it up.

Besides, the person who was involved in the accident was a circa 25 year old blonde bird, and the MIL is in her 50's and brunette. Even if her car WAS involved in an accident, it's obvious it wasn't her who was driving, so how could they pay up anyway? 

The whole lot stinks of shit.

I never realised this. Ignore my previous post.

I would suggest it is time to lawyer up.

Some sales type woman at our local Honda main dealer has taken to ringing up several times a week and leaving messages about our 2003 Accord. I actually answered the phone recently to get.....

Unbelievably pushy woman trying to get MOT and servicing business. I explained that it is eleven years old and almost 200k mileage. No way was I taking it to a main dealer for anything!

She wouldn't give up, saying they would do the MOT for £30 and match any repair quotes from any local independent garage as long as genuine Honda parts were used blah blah. (Yeah right)

Told her that I wasn't going to argue the point, but no chance etc. Bye bye.

Two more missed calls yesterday. Two more voicemails.

Things must be desperate.

Interesting anecdote. I wonder if the prices of used Hondas, etc will come down in an attempt to generate quicker revenue streams for the franchise?

I received a text and more recently a voicemail message from the local Nissan dealer asking me to book the Almera in for a service. Almera is also 2003 and for the same reasons I'm reluctant to get them to service it. Last year when I picked it up for a service I did feel like the 'poor man' compared to other customers' cars.

I might even get it booked into Halfrauds for a service as I should be able to claim for a small discount as an NHS employee. I think Halfords are much better than they once were. My mate buys cycling gear from there and rates them.

Halfords cycle and car parts etc are brilliant. I'd sooner service my car with a buck of highly salted water and some nine inch nails than let one of their garages anywhere near it though.

• Like 2

Fair do's, as much as I dislike Halfords (previously mentioned boycott) I had to put my principles aside (there is a future for me in politics yet) in the name of Cash (see?).

We use the our Tesco Club card points to get a service (and MOT sometimes) at Halfords autocentre. Never had a problem with them and I know that it is only money we have spent in Tesco that we might have saved shopping elsewhere but it does focus the mind on the service, like many people it might be something we would otherwise put off or skimp on (see leaking boiler). 

Anyway to my untrained eye there have been no probs with them so far.

• Like 1

I received a text and more recently a voicemail message from the local Nissan dealer asking me to book the Almera in for a service. Almera is also 2003 and for the same reasons I'm reluctant to get them to service it. Last year when I picked it up for a service I did feel like the 'poor man' compared to other customers' cars.

Interesting.  I still have the Blingo (also 2003) serviced at the Cit dealer in Stafford and I'm never made to feel like that.  They even wash it for me - the only time it ever does get washed - despite it being rounded off on three corners and having an amusing* 'OOPS!' cartoon on the biggest dent.

Maybe it's the relationship built up over ten years and four cars.  Maybe it's because I have a very thick skin and don't give a flying one...

;)

Some sales type woman at our local Honda main dealer has taken to ringing up several times a week and leaving messages about our 2003 Accord. I actually answered the phone recently to get.....

Unbelievably pushy woman trying to get MOT and servicing business. I explained that it is eleven years old and almost 200k mileage. No way was I taking it to a main dealer for anything!

She wouldn't give up, saying they would do the MOT for £30 and match any repair quotes from any local independent garage as long as genuine Honda parts were used blah blah. (Yeah right)

Told her that I wasn't going to argue the point, but no chance etc. Bye bye.

Two more missed calls yesterday. Two more voicemails.

Things must be desperate.

quick email to honda uk and the dealer name and you wont be bothered again :D

this happened from a pushy bike showroom - two lines and they didnt bother again

• Like 2

Tell them if they phone you again, you'll hammer sharpened bamboo under their fingernails. Japs don't like that.

Bottles of car polish/paint renovator/wax etc. that are in stupidly tall plastic 'bottles' that topple over too easily on your ever so slightly uneven driveway, spaffing out most of the contents.  The more expensive the contents are, the more fluid seems to get wasted.

• Like 3

Kids TV

I know I’m old, 43 last birthday so a tweed jacket with elbow pads is on the cards soon.  Is it just because I’m old that I think kids TV is rubbish, or is it genuinely piss poor?

When my children are watching TV, it’s either some crappy American teen sitcom where one character inexplicably has the sense of humour of a 1970s New York Jewish guy.  Or it’s loads of 20 something adults shouting and whooping at each other because one of them has said the word “newâ€Â.  Even CBBC has this kind of thing, the main way of getting the message across seems to be shouting and faking excitement for the most trivial event.

Fair enough, children’s TV doesn’t need to be Orson Welles, but it’s hard to imagine Johnny Ball shouting and clapping his hands over his head when John Craven did a handover link.  Would Johnny Morris doing the camel’s voice have been better if he’d try to work in the phrase “Yo, in your face, bison-breath!!â€Â?  Tony Hart managed to get by with talent, being a gentleman didn’t get in the way and why should it?

The trendy name for this kind of moan is “first world problemâ€Â, and it’s not serious enough to keep me awake at nights.  However I do think it’s a shame that kids are missing out on a completely different way of presenting things where ability was valued, rather than just enthusiasm and being a bit of a twat

This "first world problem" thing pisses me off;  just because there are far worse things occuring in other parts of the world, we are not supposed to moan or complain about things that represent what we see as a preventable slide of values and standards in our own part of the world?

The noise and bustle on children's telly is what seems to be expected of entertainment these days*, full stop.  I can't see a ready return to the days of talent and gentle imagination any time soon, which is a shame.

*Consider the recent film of "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy" - criticised by many as being boring and having no "action" - i.e. car chases, explosions and the like.  For some, this is what maes a film good - not a decent script, excellent story, and fantastic acting..

• Like 2

Likewise the number of people complaining that the snooker final was 'boring' because it wasn't endless breaks of one person just potting a load of balls. I was on the edge of my seat! (down the local pub) It was incredible.

Kids TV seriously distresses me. It's just not a patch on things like The Mysterious Cities of Gold.

• Like 3

We only watch Cyw (welsh "cbeebies"), mainly to teach the kids welsh (Matt and I don't speak it) but also because it seems to be much quieter and calmer than the others, they do seem to be getting into over-dubbing popular English cartoons which I wish they wouldn't. We still have it on far too much though :oops:.

My son's 4 and doesn't really like all the shouty stuff. He thinks old jacks boat on cbeebies is best and that's just jackanory but with a bit of acting. It might be that he's been to where they make it.

Did try him on captain scarlet but he wasn't interested, Tbh I used to love it but it just seems slow now, maybe I've been spoiled? He does as are some' bad' people mysterons though...

Likewise the number of people complaining that the snooker final was 'boring' because it wasn't endless breaks of one person just potting a load of balls. I was on the edge of my seat! (down the local pub) It was incredible.

Kids TV seriously distresses me. It's just not a patch on things like The Mysterious Cities of Gold.

That cities of gold thing was ace.   Was it French?

Agree about kids tv though, it's just much worse than it used to be.   I remember when Grange Hill was vaguely controversial because of some completely unrealistic heroin storyline but it was like Dostoyevsky compared to some of today's stuff   

That cities of gold thing was ace.   Was it French?

I think it was actually drawn by Japanese animators, and I'm also fairly sure 'our' version was just the over-dubbed French one, as you say. Whether it was originally a Japanese cartoon or not, I don't know. I thought it was incredible at the time, but watching it now I get the suspicion that instead of actually translating the French dialogue, they just guessed the storyline from the visuals and made up the speech to fit as they went along, like they did in Magic Roundabout.