Attempting to collect Schrodinger's two wheeler

stereotype

After a 1.5 mile push, which Ben loved*, it's home and tucked away. Rear shock and forks, front wiring needs attention, parts need sourced so as Ben's dad said "Sounds like a bargain but a lot of work, just how you like it!"

Work provisionally needing done:

Carbs

Petcock

Muffler

Forks

Tyres

Crusty swingarm surface

Stand springs

Dents and missing fairing (maybe)

Missing indicators

Brakes spongey

Missing dash

Missing ignition barrel

But frame straight and runs with easy start and @TheMokriteis happy so that's all that matters!

IMG_20200506_184237.jpg

IMG_20200506_184333.jpg

IMG_20200506_184324.jpg

IMG_20200506_184341.jpg

IMG_20200506_185831.jpg

There's someone else on here who had all sorts of fun trying to resurrect a Diversion a couple of years back - I forget who it was now.

If you remember I'd love to look them up, would be nice if they said where they got a rear shock from if it didn't cost them £290...

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, stereotype said:

If you remember I'd love to look them up, would be nice if they said where they got a rear shock from if it didn't cost them £290...

Can't the shock be rebuilt?

This was a 600 I commuted on until the tyres were worn out and the rear sprocket was devoid of teeth. Exhausts were more weld than metal. Engine still ran like a watch, but could (then) buy another bike with good tyres and sprockets for less than the replacement parts.

So it was replaced with another Diversion, only a 900 this time No chain to worry about, and it had decent tyres, good exhausts and the engine was sweet. I took it on a couple of track days at Cadwell. Should have run it for another year, but sold it for some reason that I cannot remember.

Divvy1.thumb.jpg.e9cfbb46953f43db5b407cddcd0a840b.jpg20200506_164125.thumb.jpg.735ead49ca1c3dc0d9b71f8c0e83f139.jpg

@tobyd was the chap who heroically rebuilt the world's most knackered Div I think?

26 minutes ago, Jerzy Woking said:

So it was replaced with another Diversion, only a 900 this time

20200506_164125.thumb.jpg.735ead49ca1c3dc0d9b71f8c0e83f139.jpg

If that's the actual bike then sorry to be a pedant, but the XJ900 and the Diversion 900 are separate models, albeit that the latter is based on the former. The Div was actually less powerful, apparently.

@stereotype It was me that resurrected a (Ex @95 quid Peugeot) Divvy, now owned by @thatsmacar - I kept the stock rear shock, took ages to unseize its adjuster as it was a little soft but copious wilko releasing fluid and gentle persuasion got it back working. Might find Mr macar can sort you out various spares as he took away a box full of oddments I had left over. Also he redid his fork seals recently so might be able to point out the best way of doing those too.

I don't envy you trying to sort the carbs. I don't think I could ever properly sync them up with a home-made manometer nor get the mixtures entirely right for tick over.

I think by 'N' Reg it had the better electric fuel pump instead of two petcocks but I think '95 was a transition year for them between upgrades, i think they got twin discs upfront in '96. Not sure the round headlamp model had fairings - I believe that was the naked model which I further believe was considered the cooler looking model and a lot of people ditched the 80s fairings from the 'S' model to make their own 'N' model. I liked the fairings, (half-fairings anyway), made it more pleasant on dual carriageways. I replaced the front master cylinder with one from I think a CBR1100 as the original was welded together, that was allegedly the 'optimum' upgrade but prevented having an OSF wing mirror and the perches were different (suboptimally.)

Wiring is relatively simple but there is a surprising amount and I never got to the bottom of the original loom on mine (at some point someone had wired so it'd spin the starter without the key) and just replaced the entire thing for about a tenner with an ebay one.

Valve clearances are easy enough to do and if there is no history probably worth checking - again ThatsMaCar might have some shims in the spares box that he might be able to sort you out with - I *think* there were a bunch I swapped out for being too large so the engine in his should never need them again. I'm also selling his house and soul - sorry ThatsMaCar! I'm just remembering what ended up as spare parts!

By the looks of things you also have the "carb icing defeatment" device, that runs oil from the head through the carbs. I chucked that from mine and it worked fine in the cold without it.

Possomly the spares box also had a side stand spring in it as I replaced that at somepoint as the heel-bit had come off the original.

Otherwise they are nice bikes, comfy and although they seem to rust the steel is thick and the fixings excellent. Mine had been sat for years and didn't break a single fastening in a full strip down. Something Suzuki doesn't quite manage to do...

16 minutes ago, Rave said:

@tobyd was the chap who heroically rebuilt the world's most knackered Div I think?

If that's the actual bike then sorry to be a pedant, but the XJ900 and the Diversion 900 are separate models, albeit that the latter is based on the former. The Div was actually less powerful, apparently.

Good point! Actual bike but indeed not a Diversion. Surprised the Diversion was less powerful, as the 600 was much better than the XJ600 (pre Diversion) I had a couple of years earlier.

44 minutes ago, Rave said:

Thank you for tagging I will go thread stalking ???

43 minutes ago, tobyd said:

@stereotype It was me that resurrected a (Ex @95 quid Peugeot) Divvy, now owned by @thatsmacar - I kept the stock rear shock, took ages to unseize its adjuster as it was a little soft but copious wilko releasing fluid and gentle persuasion got it back working. Might find Mr macar can sort you out various spares as he took away a box full of oddments I had left over. Also he redid his fork seals recently so might be able to point out the best way of doing those too.

I don't envy you trying to sort the carbs. I don't think I could ever properly sync them up with a home-made manometer nor get the mixtures entirely right for tick over.

I think by 'N' Reg it had the better electric fuel pump instead of two petcocks but I think '95 was a transition year for them between upgrades, i think they got twin discs upfront in '96. Not sure the round headlamp model had fairings - I believe that was the naked model which I further believe was considered the cooler looking model and a lot of people ditched the 80s fairings from the 'S' model to make their own 'N' model. I liked the fairings, (half-fairings anyway), made it more pleasant on dual carriageways. I replaced the front master cylinder with one from I think a CBR1100 as the original was welded together, that was allegedly the 'optimum' upgrade but prevented having an OSF wing mirror and the perches were different (suboptimally.)

Wiring is relatively simple but there is a surprising amount and I never got to the bottom of the original loom on mine (at some point someone had wired so it'd spin the starter without the key) and just replaced the entire thing for about a tenner with an ebay one.

Valve clearances are easy enough to do and if there is no history probably worth checking - again ThatsMaCar might have some shims in the spares box that he might be able to sort you out with - I *think* there were a bunch I swapped out for being too large so the engine in his should never need them again. I'm also selling his house and soul - sorry ThatsMaCar! I'm just remembering what ended up as spare parts!

By the looks of things you also have the "carb icing defeatment" device, that runs oil from the head through the carbs. I chucked that from mine and it worked fine in the cold without it.

Possomly the spares box also had a side stand spring in it as I replaced that at somepoint as the heel-bit had come off the original.

Otherwise they are nice bikes, comfy and although they seem to rust the steel is thick and the fixings excellent. Mine had been sat for years and didn't break a single fastening in a full strip down. Something Suzuki doesn't quite manage to do...

Very glad you have had success with it, @TheMokrite even though he has built bikes basically from scrap (frankenweenie the Lexmoto Assault, WK125RR, Amazon and an off-road dirt bike DIY kit remains to be seen on the road), is looking forward to getting stuck in, especially to carbs as he probably does them weekly at this point with the fleet being predominantly Chinese. Only one petcock from brief inspection but we may find another (stealthy bastard), single disk up front, half fairings from somewhere and an Amazon special headlight installed *expertly* by the previous owner so who knows what it was meant to look like, it came with bits from the scrappy from what looks like the model before so bugger knows ?.

Considering a master cylinder rebuild as it's not completely buggered, got some braided lines in mind but if anyone knows of any that would fit that are more pop on and go with mirrors, @TheMokrite open ears.

Wiring loom on this is original but has been hotwired as key snapped in ignition, Ben spent last winter wiring up a complete dirtbike loom to make a FunBikes kit road legal and actually got it on road! Have a feeling I might spend a lot of time staring blankly at wiring diagrams trying to remember my physics lectures unsuccessfully. 

Ben's response to valve clearances was "Shims fucking Shims," which I think about describes how that jobs going to go. I'll suggest the cold weather oil pisser be deleted.

Thanks for selling out @thatsmacar, if he's up for helping out by emptying the scrap pile we'd be very grateful. I've had a sit on it and when it's suspension isn't like sinking into moist chewing gum it genuinely feels quite comfortable if not a bit long, and that's saying something from titchy 5 foot short over here. Yours look well clean in comparison I will say, but for something that cost Mookie pennies it's definitely not that bad. 

Hope everyone is looking forward to shenanigans when Ben's join request gets approved.

10 minutes ago, Jerzy Woking said:

And talking of Diversions...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254583912895

No. No. No. A thousand times no.

Showed Mokrite the listing before the context and he says he thinks he'll get on with you lot.

"Oh no, nonono" - @TheMokrite 

• 2 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, thatsmacar said:

@stereotype  You after divvy parts?  I still have all the bits I got from @tobyd.  Good lad he is.

Get in contact with parts request.

Don't quite know what we need yet, we have some bits on the way but @TheMokrite will give you a shout if he notices he has a bit missing! We'll start pulling things apart soon enough to find out what's gubbed and may need replacing ? 

Thank youuuuu