James Brown: Kiltox’s 1998 Rover 216 Cabriolet!

Kiltox

Just now, HMC said:

Apologies if most of the above has already been covered on other threads im A bit out of the loop

No need. It is/was mine, now gone to Kiltox.

I've only just seen this thread as wanted to make sure the car gets home, as the HG is starting to go.

14 minutes ago, gadgetgricey said:

Good to know.

Still driving OK though?

Yeah it’s driving really well. Only clue that the water might’ve been getting a bit low was a less-than-boiling-hot heater. 

Just stopped again 2/3 of the way home from where I was to check it again just to see how quickly it’s losing. 

Might be the water pump for the water loss , assuming it is not pissing out the rad matrix.  I've found when they get a bit hot, if it is the std elastomer gasket, it nips the elastomer and you start to get traces of oil in the water.  They can be soldiered on for many years like this if you regularly flush out the header tank, I've done it.  Soldiering on is not a repair of course.   When they get really hot, which is often a consequence of leaking rad or water pump, or both, then the HG gives way big time and goes beyond oil in the water traces to the full kettle experience.

1 minute ago, Isaac Hunt said:

Might be the water pump for the water loss , assuming it is not pissing out the rad matrix.  I've found when they get a bit hot, if it is the std elastomer gasket, it nips the elastomer and you start to get traces of oil in the water.  They can be soldiered on for many years like this if you regularly flush out the header tank, I've done it.  Soldiering on is not a repair of course.   When they get really hot, which is often a consequence of leaking rad or water pump, or both, then the HG gives way big time and goes beyond oil in the water traces to the full kettle experience.

It’s had K Seal in so it’s hard to tell what’s what with the coolant given it’s now glittery. 

I did a sniff test when it was warm the other week there before agreeing to buy and it did indicate combustion gases in the expansion tank. 

First impressions - runs and drives well enough. Has a few issues that will need sorting with time. 

OMGHGF/ water loss (obviously)

CVT box works well enough but it seems to creep rather strongly - almost as if the engine idles a bit high but it’s not as if it’s revving itself to death. Not sure what’s up there but it is odd. Often it will maintain a constant speed when you lift off the throttle at lower speeds - rather than slowing down  

Suspension, brakes seem okay. 

Few paint/body issues but it’s generally tidy - scuffed bumpers, dent in OSR quarter. Badly painted drivers door handle that used to be silver. 

Missing drivers seat back adjustment wheel (are these made of unobtanium??)

Centre radio display/clock doesn’t work - are these usually repairable? 

Needs a good valet and leather treatment 

14 minutes ago, Cavcraft said:

WINNER!!!111!!!  What's the bodywork like, looks quite clean from the pictures?

Has a few giffer scrapes and a dent that I think will PDR out. Nothing major. 

Really quite rust free. Tiny bubble on one wheel arch. I’ll be getting the liners off and giving it a good clean / rust proof. 

On the clock/radio display - which stereo do you have ? I'm assuming either the R770 or R860 (the one without a display) ? If so, you're going to need one of the  specific displays and they're quite expensive/unobtainium. There is a guy on eBay who does repairs for 25 quid if you send your clock to him :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FREELANDER-ROVER-CLOCK-DISPLAY-LCD-PIXEL-REPAIR-8-PIN-4-PIN-TRAFFIC-MASTER/262806736824?fits=Car+Make%3ARover&hash=item3d30808fb8:g:m-oAAOSwVvlantLN

Alternatively, you may be able to fix yourself if you're handy with a soldering iron:

https://forums.mg-rover.org/how-do-i-answers-common-problems-8/digital-clock-repair-138072/

[vulture mode]When* you scrap it, can I have the silver trim from the front and back bumpers please[/vulture]

19 hours ago, clayts450 said:

On the clock/radio display - which stereo do you have ? I'm assuming either the R770 or R860 (the one without a display) ? If so, you're going to need one of the  specific displays and they're quite expensive/unobtainium. There is a guy on eBay who does repairs for 25 quid if you send your clock to him :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FREELANDER-ROVER-CLOCK-DISPLAY-LCD-PIXEL-REPAIR-8-PIN-4-PIN-TRAFFIC-MASTER/262806736824?fits=Car+Make%3ARover&hash=item3d30808fb8:g:m-oAAOSwVvlantLN

Alternatively, you may be able to fix yourself if you're handy with a soldering iron:

https://forums.mg-rover.org/how-do-i-answers-common-problems-8/digital-clock-repair-138072/

[vulture mode]When* you scrap it, can I have the silver trim from the front and back bumpers please[/vulture]

Relatively handy with an iron so I might give it a bash.  It is the radio sans display  

The bumper trim is pretty tarnished and I was actually wondering how feasible it would be to replace - not, obviously :D

23 hours ago, Kiltox said:

Tucked away in the garage whilst I try and organise a HG repair. Outside of the header tank is covered in sticky glittery coolant  

A1CE79CC-B1FE-4430-927E-150F897F516E.thumb.jpeg.904d0724fb1b4c9aafa82bb2abc6b8fb.jpeg

So you sell me a great fully working 216 cab and you buy one with HGF!!!!!!

You understand this is not a criticism just an observation.