Ask a Shiter

warren t claim

Wire wrap wire, aka bodge wire. Solder one end on the component at the start of the track and solder the other end on the other end. You need reasonably decent kit to not make a hash of it mind. Maybe see if there is an auto locksmith near that could rework it.

Thank you, I'll pass the message onto my "friend"

Sent from my SGP621 using Tapatalk

Well my newly acquired corolla needed a service. So £61.00 later at ECP and oil filter, air filter, plugs, some nice oil and antifreeze all purchased. Now then the water in the radiator and top up bottle was very rusty brown colour. I assumed some plank has not used antifreeze and it's a bit rusty inside. So I drin it and flush it . Water all over the floor . No sign of oil in it like a rainbow. So flushed it a few times and put in antifreeze and topped up with water. I then notice that waiting for it to get up to temp and get rid of air that it's bubbling up frothy on top of radiator. Froth is a light brown colour but not oily. So no white smoke from exhaust after a good five mile run. No overheating. Actually temp gauge now lower than before I flushed it all. So rusty boiling water or terminall time to phone it's relatives time.

possible its had some rad weld in it or something ...ideally you would have took the rad off and hose piped it then ran it around with plain water in /drain repeat until clear

woulnt worry too much if the level remains correct and no overheating etc

Well my newly acquired corolla needed a service. So £61.00 later at ECP and oil filter, air filter, plugs, some nice oil and antifreeze all purchased. Now then the water in the radiator and top up bottle was very rusty brown colour. I assumed some plank has not used antifreeze and it's a bit rusty inside. So I drin it and flush it . Water all over the floor . No sign of oil in it like a rainbow. So flushed it a few times and put in antifreeze and topped up with water. I then notice that waiting for it to get up to temp and get rid of air that it's bubbling up frothy on top of radiator. Froth is a light brown colour but not oily. So no white smoke from exhaust after a good five mile run. No overheating. Actually temp gauge now lower than before I flushed it all. So rusty boiling water or terminall time to phone it's relatives time.

The pink/orange OAT type anti freeze looks like rusty water in a black container ( radiator ) is it possible it had that in . Hope you flushed it well if you put blue in !

Can anyone think of a reason why a Ford contour water pump wouldn't fit a Mondeo? Can get OEM for much cheaper out there.

Wouldn't bother anyway, if there was a problem sending it back would be a chuff. A decent new aftermarket is only £30, Should last a long time, I wouldn't get too hung up on using OE stuff for everything.

Thanks for the replies chaps. Yes I did flush it has best has I could. Heater matrix open etc. I filled it up ran it then drained again. Heater now seems warmer and temp stays down. Creeps up about in traffic but soon goes down when moving again. Went to my girlfriends in it this morning. She looked and said "my dad had one of them new" so I replied "obviously he has good taste like me"..It Is funny drivine it because every car is bloody higher up and bigger. How big are cars gonna be in twenty years. Considering this is a big standard family hatchback from years gone by. Also you open the bonnet and you can see the engine ,and the floor underneath. No plastic covering everything up.

The heater on the Rover of Doom is shite, and it's getting to the time of year when that's going to start being an issue again.  I think the heater matrix is partially clogged, as it's been getting steadily worse over the course of a few years.

I don't have a hosepipe (no outside tap and kitchen tap is of a design that won't allow a hose attachment) so not easy for me to flush it out that way unless I can find a mate who has a hosepipe and is happy for me to take bits off the car on his driveway.  So, is the dishwasher-tablet-in-the-expansion-bottle trick likely to unclog the heater matrix at all, or would that be a waste of time?  How about disconnecting the matrix from the rest of the cooling system and then pouring drain unblocker into it?

I've flushed stuff with a few watering cans of water before. Swap direction for each can & see what comes out.

Having said that, the dishwasher tab should work. Heater matrixes have good flow through them when in use so it'll get there.

How would you LEGALLY deal with a car abandoned on private property?

In this instance, a reposessed house that you buy from the bank.  No title to the vehicle transfers as part of the sale because it's not the bank's to sell

I've seen a couple of houses for sale with this situation and don't know what the legal resolution would be 

The heater on the Rover of Doom is shite, and it's getting to the time of year when that's going to start being an issue again.  I think the heater matrix is partially clogged, as it's been getting steadily worse over the course of a few years.

I don't have a hosepipe (no outside tap and kitchen tap is of a design that won't allow a hose attachment) so not easy for me to flush it out that way unless I can find a mate who has a hosepipe and is happy for me to take bits off the car on his driveway.  So, is the dishwasher-tablet-in-the-expansion-bottle trick likely to unclog the heater matrix at all, or would that be a waste of time?  How about disconnecting the matrix from the rest of the cooling system and then pouring drain unblocker into it?

This may be a very stupid idea, but if you were to switch the inlet and outlet pipes over, so the flow went the other way through the matrix (assuming they were next to each other on the bulkhead) might this help, as suddenly the flow would be going the other way?

Re: matrix,got a similar dilemma with the blue Mondy. Aftermarket new Nissen matrix available for £28, and I wonder with the faffing involved with flushing etc (having also seen DW have to do a fair few goes with the Bluebird) whether a change it once and forget it forever* plan might be the solution  :?:

How would you LEGALLY deal with a car abandoned on private property?

In this instance, a reposessed house that you buy from the bank.  No title to the vehicle transfers as part of the sale because it's not the bank's to sell

I've seen a couple of houses for sale with this situation and don't know what the legal resolution would be 

Apply to the doovla for the registered keeper's name & address, write to them informing them that storage will be charged at £x per day backdated to whenever and that you'd like them to remove their car at their earliest convenience after the storage fees have been settled. When there's no reply apply to doovla again requesting change of registered keeper to you. Sell the 250GTO you've just 'won' at the next Bonham's sale and retire to a life of luxury.

My BIL has called and said the ex FOAD £130 clio isn't starting again. When it did this when we first got it I found the low current switch feed to the starter motor was just wrapped round the terminal. I crimped on a proper ring terminal and it has been fine since, until today. When he operates the key to the start position he can hear a relay clicking under the bonnet.

I'm thinking either a wiring fault between relay and solenoid or a faulty solenoid. If I get him to run a jumper cable between the battery and switch terminal of the starter motor will it result in many kittens dying or just the solenoid operating?

On a side note I know my rights so I have already started legal action against FOAD ;) money saving consumer super expert says I have a case.

My BIL has called and said the ex FOAD £130 clio isn't starting again. When it did this when we first got it I found the low current switch feed to the starter motor was just wrapped round the terminal. I crimped on a proper ring terminal and it has been fine since, until today. When he operates the key to the start position he can hear a relay clicking under the bonnet.

I'm thinking either a wiring fault between relay and solenoid or a faulty solenoid. If I get him to run a jumper cable between the battery and switch terminal of the starter motor will it result in many kittens dying or just the solenoid operating?

On a side note I know my rights so I have already started legal action against FOAD ;) money saving consumer super expert says I have a case.

Use a screwdriver on the solenoid to bridge the connections and it should start. No kittens will die.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

Two questions today:

What is the best way to remove peeling lacquer without damaging the underlying paintwork?  I spent an enjoyable* hour this afternoon scraping away at the Innocenti roof with my Boots advantage card, which got most of the properly loose stuff off, but I'm not sure what's the best way to get rid of the bits that are just starting to lift.

How much water would you expect to be coming out of a heater matrix with the heater switched on to full and the engine running?  The Rover of Doom has a steady dribble, so obviously not completely blocked up, but I'm not sure whether there should be more flow than that or whether my lack of heating might have its roots elsewhere.

What is the best way to remove peeling lacquer without damaging the underlying paintwork?  I spent an enjoyable* hour this afternoon scraping away at the Innocenti roof with my Boots advantage card, which got most of the properly loose stuff off, but I'm not sure what's the best way to get rid of the bits that are just starting to lift.

General consensus seems to be that you can't just re-do the lacquer, you have to repaint and re-lacquer. However, I have seen a Youtube where someone machine polishes the damaged lacquer/paintwork for an improvement in the overall state of the panel.