Ask a Shiter

warren t claim

I'm trying to get the locking nuts (4 pin type) off of my C4 wheels and everytime I try to turn it, the key jumps out, even with my knee jammed against it. Any tips?

Assuming the key and nuts are clean and undamaged:

Only try and undo 2 handed, with a socket and a T bar - never use a single ended breaker bar or wheel spanner. It is important not to put any side loading on the key, just a pure torque. Good luck!

**It does depend on the bloke doing the job, not the company.

Too right. In ATS the other day watching what goes on:

One chap whizzed up wheel bolts with an impact gun, then used a torque wrench - each bolt turned about a quarter of a turn before the torque wrench clicked.   :-D  

Another fitter used impact gun then torque wrench but the torque wrench clicked without any movement, ie the bolts were at best tight enough, probably over tight. He then wound on another 45 deg or so on each bolt using the torque wrench.   :shock:

In each case their supervisor also "checked" each bolt with a click from a torque wrench. I was glad the guy who did it properly did my job,  I would have had to intervene if gorilla boy had gone near our car.

Trying to help someone with a Renault Clio 1997 P reg who got the only key they had copied at Timsons and now he cannot get the car started due to the immobiliser.

Is there a suitable bypass for this, youtube suggests lots of random things, that will make the car usable without spending too much?

I believe there is more to the story but am trying to help him out anyway.

The recent Rover 75 ebay purchase is about to be pressed into use for a short while. A 1.8 Auto. Owing to being stood unused for almost a year due to bereavement the battery was past redemption. The son supplied a (cheap) new battery so that I could collect and drive the car home. All good.

The battery is branded 'Le Mans'. Part number LMN075VP. CCA 510 amps. A/H 55. 12 volt. Brand new according to a sticker on top.

Never heard of the brand before and the amperage sounds a tad marginal. Being an auto a bump start is a no go.

Main question. Is it actually a car battery or for something else? Forklift or whatever. Google not much help really. Can't even find the brand.

Car starts well enough now, but a bit dubious about a week away.

Probably worried for nothing. But...

Any ideas?

Sounds like an 075 type car battery from the part number and the CCA and A/H ratings tally up with that. Never heard of the brand so it's likely just a generic pattern part battery.

I would have thought that'll be more than up to the job of cracking over a little 1.8 K-Series... well, until the bores are full of coolant, it might struggle a bit then.

All this talk of locking wheelnuts.... do alloys actually get nicked any more?

I don't know anyone in person who has had their wheels stolen, and only seen one example of it on the internet where someone had theirs nicked (though they also pinched a load of tools etc from the garage at the same time as I recall).

But then I've thought while writing this... do alloys not get nicked any more because people use locking wheelnuts...?

Don't know about UK but in Houston the wheels fitted to full size GM SUVs i.e. Suburbans/Escalades/whatever the GMC one is called are very much a target for theft.   I have seen neighbours trucks on blocks twice in the last couple of months.   Another neighbor saw them arriving and leaving on CCTV, reckoned 4 minutes to get all four 22" wheels off.  

Trying to help someone with a Renault Clio 1997 P reg who got the only key they had copied at Timsons and now he cannot get the car started due to the immobiliser.

Is there a suitable bypass for this, youtube suggests lots of random things, that will make the car usable without spending too much?

I believe there is more to the story but am trying to help him out anyway.

Does the original key not work anymore? Could you leave the battery disconnected for a while?

Does the original key not work anymore? Could you leave the battery disconnected for a while?

Original key is damaged in some way (bit difficult getting the actual story out of him,he is a little* odd) battery has been disconnected for a while.

I have a procedure to follow up on, hopefully next week.

I've acquired a car with a partial body wrap that I need to remove. I'm not going to tell you what sort of car it is because it's a Vectra C and you'd all laugh at me but I'm after advice on the best way to remove said vinyl wrap without fucking up the metallic paintwork.

A mate of mine is the local guy for stickers,  when removing them from bodywork he uses:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LUPA-100pc-Composite-Razor-Blades-5pc-Blade-Holders-Set-Plastic-Scraper-AK5228-/331754168928?epid=1254389694&hash=item4d3e16e260:g:PFEAAOSwfRdZJYEP

along with a heat gun and a big trigger bottle of something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Adhesive-Sticker-Label-Glue-Remover-Industrial-Strength-Tar-Glue-1-Litres-/302011254641?epid=624374638&hash=item4651460771:g:tyYAAOSwHMJYNX~s

That said if the wrap has been on longer than it should have been it will fuck the paint.

I've acquired a car with a partial body wrap that I need to remove. I'm not going to tell you what sort of car it is because it's a Vectra C and you'd all laugh at me but I'm after advice on the best way to remove said vinyl wrap without fucking up the metallic paintwork.

Try a hairdryer or heatgun on a low setting?

PS

Hahahahahhahaha!!!!

Wheel nicking....

I had the spare go from the cradle under my Caddy.

My 'then/now ex' employer were very 'duty of care/f#ck you & pay!' for damages :(

I googled the Caddy accessories and found a 'security locking pin for under floor spare' :)

I sent a mail + link... stating that if I had known the spare could be lifted so easily I'd have stuck it in the load area/why do VW offer security??

I got a steel new from the dealer + a 'budget' tyre fitted = all paid for on their card.... Cunts, they were ;)

TS

Put another more tasteful wrap over the top ?