Ask a Shiter

warren t claim

ABS.......... I was hammering the work van the other night and I think the ABS kicked in. The symptoms was thus... grgrgrgrgrgr noise... weird and there was hugely ineffective braking... Skid and turn is what I was prepared for.

If THAT is ABS I hate it . How do I turn it off?

//

In other ABS news my MG when I reverse the pedal box vibrates as if it were the wheel of fortune... is THAT ABS? The ABS light is on. Has an ABS ring come off, do ABS rings do that? Sometimes at low speed manoeuvring I get the same problem and a grgrgrgrgrgrgr noise.

///

Was driving a hyundai Santa Fe every now and again when braking the pedal would kick back and make a ggrgrgrgrgr noise. Totally unnecessary as light braking. Customer noticed too. Boss just said what the fuck you on about when I mentioned it.

From my very limited experience of ABS, when you depress the brake pedal with a it of force it (pedal) sort of goes down then come back up again. It felt a bit like standing on a whoopee cushion, but without the farting noise.

Yes that's ABS the pedal will feel crunchy when it kicks in and a broken reluctor ring will cause strange noises and pedal vibration at low speed. You can override the ABS by removing the fuse but it will have to work for an mot

Any of you chaps use those flight tracker websites?

About 10:55 tonight a big commercial aircraft flew very low over my flat in central Aberdeen heading south east. I'm not under the flight path and I think they usually stop flying around this time.

Flightradar24 tells me it could only be Transavia flight TRA8806 (there's nothing else in the sky in this part of the country). google tells me that flight number corresponds to a Rotterdam to Norway flight and Transavia don't usually come up here.

Has someone got rather lost in a 737?

I've scavenged a couple of devices from old motors (CB radio & power inverter). They  only have 2 wire connections, so can I just stick a fag lighter type connection on them and then plug them in to a fag lighter or would this be dodgy/dangerous?

Any of you chaps use those flight tracker websites?

Thank you, there goes the rest of my evening.  Strangely addictive, there's an awful lot of planes up there, although only one lonely plane over the whole of Devon/Cornwall in the time I've been watching, skies now clear once more.

@Skattrd: given some of the lash-ups of exactly those items I come across in trucks, which seem to work perfectly well, I don't see why not. If they're plugged into a lighter socket, you can always yank the plug out, if it looks dodgy!

com?

co.uk?

Cotton?

to dot?

Sorry. On the mobile version of this site sometimes I'm page one of a topic as I havn't started reading it yet, and sometimes I'm halfway through - the thing is that you can't skip to the end of the topic without going one page at a time, which is a ballache, but writing a post allows you to jump right to the end.

Just one of those silly design fault that causes us all such misery.

• Like 2

Sorry. On the mobile version of this site sometimes I'm page one of a topic as I havn't started reading it yet, and sometimes I'm halfway through - the thing is that you can't skip to the end of the topic without going one page at a time, which is a ballache, but writing a post allows you to jump right to the end.

Just one of those silly design fault that causes us all such misery.

Thats odd, the mobile site is the only one which skips to the correct last read page for me.

Thats odd, the mobile site is the only one which skips to the correct last read page for me.

Yes, but some of these threads are so fast moving I can't keep up. I don't have a computer at my house, and I work 50hrs a week, Autoshiting and eBaying during my limited lunchbreak, or when it's so quiet I can use it on the sly behind the bar.

Yes, but some of these threads are so fast moving I can't keep up. I don't have a computer at my house, and I work 50hrs a week, Autoshiting and eBaying during my limited lunchbreak, or when it's so quiet I can use it on the sly behind the bar.

Ahhhhh I see. I wish my desktop version remembered the last page visited.

50 hours a week and a lunch break! Living the dream!

DO U WRK 4 FAIT WARANTIE NO WUNDER UR BUZZY M8 LOL

Is this distributor bolloxed, or is this amount of play okay? Is this too much play in the shaft? Should the vacuum advance bit jiggle like that?

http://youtu.be/XlG3jjmNAh8

No, yes, no, and yes.

Let's explain the last answer first - it's a D23/D25 (fitted to an A-series?) and the knurled wheel on the end is  vernier adjustment that allows fine tuning of advance and is connected to the vacuum unit.  To address the other points, the main distributor shaft that is driven by the camshaft has the centrifugal advance mechanism mounted on its end, which in turn connects to the small shaft with the points cam and the rotor arm.  If these didn't move then the ignition wouldn't advance as the engine speed increases.  If there is no resistance to you turning it AT ALL and it doesn't return to the start position, it might indicate the springs of the centrifugal advance are bolloxed, but if it returns to the same position it started in then it'll be fine.

I wish my desktop version remembered the last page visited.

It does. Or rather the forum does. Always browse whilst signed in, then you'll see a little blue spot (or star - don't know the difference). It's next to the topic title on 'General Chat' page. Press that, it'll take you to the first post you haven't yet read.

Hope that helps.

I never press the title link - always the blue thing :)

It does. Or rather the forum does. Always browse whilst signed in, then you'll see a little blue spot (or star - don't know the difference). It's next to the topic title on 'General Chat' page. Press that, it'll take you to the first post you haven't yet read.Hope that helps.I never press the title link - always the blue thing :)

May be I pressed the wrong 'blue thing' but all hell broke loose.

Have a long history of pressing the wrong thing, but WTF?

It took me back to 2007. July to be precise. I now owe £1567 to Barclaycard.

Bastard. I paid this off in September 2007

Do you mean November 2007? That's the oldest thread on the front page (Mr_Bickle's).

If you haven't read that thread before (whilst being signed in), the board trickery will take you back to 07 November 2007 - 02:55 PM. :D

Do you mean November 2007? That's the oldest thread on the front page (Mr_Bickle's).If you haven't read that thread before (whilst being signed in), the board trickery will take you back to 07 November 2007 - 02:55 PM. :D

Cough... Poetic licence..... Cough...

:-)