Guest MattJY

Renault 14 Madness

On 7/11/2019 at 8:32 PM, Datsuncog said:

'Maurice' isn't Maurice Rea, perchance? How many Renault nuts called Maurice can there be in Ireland...

If it's the same guy, he took on both my Phase 1  Lagunas when they ended up permanently borked.

Maurice Roddy was my guess! Hes around Dundalk, one half of Roddy and Rice Renault there. Not sure if it's still going but he had quite a collection of old Renners, and that parts haul looks like one assembled by someone who owns a parts desk!

My uncle with the R16 (who sold his R20TX to someone on here last year) knows him.

2 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Not only that but you can still see the coolant level in the expansion tank because it hasn't gone totally opaque.

Proper* '70s Renaults have glass expansion tanks.

2 hours ago, warninglight said:

Maurice Roddy was my guess! Hes around Dundalk, one half of Roddy and Rice Renault there. Not sure if it's still going but he had quite a collection of old Renners, and that parts haul looks like one assembled by someone who owns a parts desk!

My uncle with the R16 (who sold his R20TX to someone on here last year) knows him.

Heh, so there seemingly is more than one Rennernut by the name of Maurice round these parts - M. Rea hails from around Magherafelt direction, I think.

Yer man Roddy does sound more likely to be the source of this R14, though. Handy to know!

Absolutely wonderful, hats off you for perseverance.

Like @loserone my first journey into the big wide world was in a 14, a white TL with red interior which Dad bought brand new a couple of months before I was born, (the one and only time he bought a new car).

The original number rear numberplate adorns my garage wall and the spare wheel (with original tyre) has been successfully preventing my mum from hitting the back wall when going into her garage every day for 38 years - the most well used R 14 part in history?

I went to see it a few weeks ago as I was interested in parts. The body is ok and the engine turned over but its been scorched by the sun and little interior remains. 

At £395 thought its worth a punt and Gary is a really nice chap.

A chap bought the OSR quarter panel from Switzerland to the UK, so another part of the jigsaw complete.

I also noticed gunk up the NSF wheel arch which turned out to be a split CV boot...luckily, I found a new one in the boot 😀

On 9/4/2019 at 12:08 PM, Mut said:

At £395 thought its worth a punt and Gary is a really nice chap.

I see someone bought it from Gary a couple of days ago. Anyone we know?